Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking about a 1-hour drive in the morning to check out a barn find, a 2004 Marauder 800. The current owner admits it has been parked for a year (owner has health issues) and is filthy. Until yesterday the battery was down, but he has had it on a charger overnight and the battery has come back enough to light everything up and turn the engine; no start, but fortunately he drained all the gas not long after it was parked and I am taking a jump-starter, some fresh gas and starting fluid to see if we can get it to fire off. He states that the tires were new and had less than 200 miles on them when the bike was stored, so that's a plus, and he says there is zero damage to the machine -- just a thick layer of barn dust. He's the original owner, it has 3450 miles on the clock, and he says it was running fine when it went on the inactive list. So, my questions :
-- Any inspection tips beyond the obvious?

-- Anything I should take along beyond a tool kit, starting fluid, gas?

-- Assuming we can get it to start, any suggestion as to a fair price? Kelley Blue Book puts trade-in value right at $1800, but that is, of course, in running condition, which this is not right now, and at least reasonably clean, which I already know it isn't.

I am hoping a thorough cleaning and servicing will be all it needs to be turned in to a rider, and I am willing to put some time, elbow grease, and a reasonable amount of money in to it, but I don't need a money pit!

·
Ace Tuner
3,555 Posts
"Anything I should take along beyond a tool kit, starting fluid, gas?"

A flashlight so you can check for rust inside the fuel tank.

·
Visionary
5,279 Posts
Sitting a year..It might just start right up, my stepdaughter's first bike was a 98 Marauder that her dad crashed and left broken in the garage for 6 years. I came along and she wanted to learn to ride, so we decided to resurrect it. I put in a new battery and the darn thing started right up and ran..on the old gas even, but this gas was so old it was probably non-ethanol which had to help. I filled the tank with fresh gas, added some sea foam cleaner and it ran like a top. Oil change and it was ready to run.
After sitting all that time it needed nothing other than repairs for the crash damage, a new tree and forks and foot peg and she was on the road. In her case the tires were brand new but 6 years old, he had put them on the week he crashed it. The tires were borderline by age but still seemed fine and they were.

She sold hers with a dent in the tank and some scratches but running fine a year later for about 1200, it was a good bike to learn on but once she bought her Scout it was just sitting.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I went and saw it and, frankly, I came away disappointed that we couldn't reach a deal. It was barn-find dirty for sure -- I mean downright nasty -- but underneath all that accumulated dust the paint and chrome were intact. No sign of it ever having been crashed, nothing missing, tires fine with the little new-tire nubbies still on them. By the look of it I was highly skeptical that it would crank, but I fed it about 1/2 gallon of fresh dinosaur juice, checked the oil, turned the key, hit the starter -- took three tries, but then she fired right up! After warming up for 8 or ten minutes it idled nicely with the choke off, and revved willingly with no stumble.

I was eager to make a deal at this point but it was not to be. It is clear the gentleman who owns the bike will never ride again -- he's pushing 80 and in ill health -- and equally clear that his kids have zero interest in resurrecting the bike, but he just was not willing to come off of his asking price enough to make it worthwhile for me. I made him an offer that anyone in his right mind would consider fair, if not outrageously generous, but he would not budge. All in all, though, I enjoyed the outing and I had a good time talking to the guy.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Start @ $1,000 cash---with a valid TITLE and negotiate from there:grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Go $1,250 and it may be a win-win for both of you:smile_big:

Sam:grin:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go $1,250 and it may be a win-win for both of you:smile_big:

Sam:grin:
Tried it -- no go. The old dude is sentimentally attached, and I understand this well. But he thinks he's going to rehab the bike himself now and ride it again, and as much as I would like to believe it, it ain't gonna happen. So I gracefully backed off and we parted on good terms -- but I sort of think once his kids hear he turned down 10 Franklins for what to them is just a pile of useless junk taking up space I will hear from him again. If not, so be it. I am nothing if not patient -- and besides, I now have a line on a meticulously-maintained, all-original, running and roadworthy 1983 Suzuki GS 750T...:wink2:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This one?

Beautiful Bike and they were fast and reliable:grin:

Sam:nerd:
Yep, that's the model. This particular one is a one-owner, 20K miles, new tires and all maintenance up-to-date. Owner is retired, moving to Florida, must sell. I am supposed to see it this coming Wednesday and hopefully I will be able to help him with his "problem"! I am always willing to help my fellow man out of a jam...:angel:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts