Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys I bought an 03 Marauder last summer with Cobra pipes and a jet kit and it ran great for about 4,000 miles that I put on it about 21,000 total but now I am having higher RPM problems. It just started this past Sunday that when I would try to accelerate faster it would sputter and pop and bog and loose power. It still runs but when I twist for more gas at higher RPMs that is what it does. It never did this before so this is a new thing. I put premium in the tank all the time. I have not tried anything yet to fix this I am just looking for advice on what it could be. It accelerates fine until I try to give it more gas then it sputters and pops and looses some power.

Thank you for all of your help.

· Premium Member
6,196 Posts
I don't think that bike needs premium; my Intruder, basically the same engine, ran worse on premium instead of 87. As for the sputter, it sounds like the fuel flow is restricted, or you have a spark problem.

The fuel line could be pinched, or the in-tank screen clogged, and the high fuel demands at high rpm and power would lower the level in the carburetor. I don't recall if it has a fuel pump; if it does, that would be something else to check.

A spark problem could be a drop in Voltage because of the higher demand, and a weak battery or connections that need cleaning. I'd clean the large cables, at both ends, and clean the battery terminals, especially the negative cable connection at the frame/engine mount. While at that end of that cable, bend/twist it under your fingers to feel for stiff spots, or a kind of crunch, which would indicate a failing cable from corrosion. If you can strap a Voltmeter where you can read it, connect one wire to the engine block, the other to a coil + terminal, to see if the Voltage is dropping there. Also, have the battery tested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.