Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Ninja 250 about 2 months ago and have been working on it since day one, previous owner had it sitting for over a year and thus i incurred all the problems that kinda built up (im a masochist i swear).

The problem this week is with the fuel reaching wherever it needs to be after leaving the tank, or should i say the lack thereof. I have an inline filter so i can see how much fuel exits the tank and have noticed that it doesn't replenish itself as fast as it empties, being a clear filter i have also noticed that very little replenishes while going at speed, so when im waiting at a light, i lean the bike to the left an pick up the revs because thats what seems to fill it up the fastest and even that doesn't work every time.

I know the bike is vacuum fed and even tho i have already changed most of the old hoses, last night i opted to do a complete check of them, none of them were clogged or damaged.
I thought that it might have been my petcock not being able to engage/open so i tested it by making a vacuum with another piece of hose on the petcock and the petcock flowed just fine.
Could it be that the hose thats supposed to provide the vacuum just isnt providing enough?

Sorry for the long read but any help would be seriously appreciated.

Ask anything youd like to know and ill do my best to provide it.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The problem can lie also with the petcock. I had a problem on my 96 suzuki with it overflowing. Everyone here kept saying it was the float in the carb. Which 99 percent of the time, they are usually correct. But I had the carb proffessionally rebuilt by one of the best in our area. It turned out to be a faulty petcock. My bike was vacumn fed, but I eliminated it by changing from a on/res/prime petcock to a on/off/res petcock and blocking off the vacumn line on the carb. Never had a problem sense. Also, maybe it could also be the float not doing what it is supposed to do to let the fuel in???? Just a few possibilities to check out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts