Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking around several forums but I have not found anything too specific to my problem, I left my bike in a parking garage at uni for a little while and I went to go for a ride after not starting it for some time and I found that when it started it was flooded very quickly so that was my first problem, then the bike was running super rich once I got it started, acted like the choke was on when it wasn't and it was basically just pouring fuel out of the exhaust... So I go ahead and take it home and the bike runs and almost stalls at low rpm so I figured okay maybe it's just the plugs? Pulled them and I'm not sure when the last guy replaced them since I got the bike around 3k miles ago and I never changed them but they were black I installed some new ones and the same results.

The bike just runs bad at low rpm I'm not entirely sure one of the cylinders are firing and has misfires at the low rpms., once it gets up to I'd say around 4-5k RPM it runs fine from what I can see.

From the research I saw it could be a few things:

1. Bad gas, this could make sense since I when I last filled up and got 91 octane from what I remember? and since it sat there for a while. However wouldn't this cause the bike to run lean rather than rich?

2. Bad ignition coil, from trouble shooting some videos/forums.

3. Vacuum leak somewhere, I'm not too sure since I did just let the bike sit there that'd be a little odd to just randomly pop up.

4. Carb jet problem, once again being clogged seems to be a problem but obviously it'd be lean so it could also be the float bowls.

Seriously any help would be fantastic I'm not the most mechanically inclined when it comes to carbs and fuel/ignition systems and any help would save me some $$$ at the shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been looking around several forums but I have not found anything too specific to my problem, I left my bike in a parking garage at uni for a little while and I went to go for a ride after not starting it for some time and I found that when it started it was flooded very quickly so that was my first problem, then the bike was running super rich once I got it started, acted like the choke was on when it wasn't and it was basically just pouring fuel out of the exhaust... So I go ahead and take it home and the bike runs and almost stalls at low rpm so I figured okay maybe it's just the plugs? Pulled them and I'm not sure when the last guy replaced them since I got the bike around 3k miles ago and I never changed them but they were black I installed some new ones and the same results.

The bike just runs bad at low rpm I'm not entirely sure one of the cylinders are firing and has misfires at the low rpms., once it gets up to I'd say around 4-5k RPM it runs fine from what I can see.

From the research I saw it could be a few things:

1. Bad gas, this could make sense since I when I last filled up and got 91 octane from what I remember? and since it sat there for a while. However wouldn't this cause the bike to run lean rather than rich?

2. Bad ignition coil, from trouble shooting some videos/forums.

3. Vacuum leak somewhere, I'm not too sure since I did just let the bike sit there that'd be a little odd to just randomly pop up.

4. Carb jet problem, once again being clogged seems to be a problem but obviously it'd be lean so it could also be the float bowls.

Seriously any help would be fantastic I'm not the most mechanically inclined when it comes to carbs and fuel/ignition systems and any help would save me some $$$ at the shop.
those CARBS ARE VACUME CONTROLED, IF THERE IS A VACUME LEAK GAS WILL FILL UP THE CARBS. SO... CHECK PETCOCK ( notorious for this problem) ALL VACUME LINES, AND IF NOT FOUND YOU MAY NEED TO TAKE CARBS OFF CHECK THE RUBBER DIAFRAMS FOR TEARS.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
An overly rich situation can ruin your engine is short order, especially if 'raw' fuel is coming out the exhaust:surprise:

The 'raw' fuel washes down all oil from the cylinders and can wear out piston rings in just a few miles!

It sounds like your float is not shutting off fuel in the float bowl.

None of the things you mentioned would cause your problem other than a defective coil that won't allow a cylinder to fire at all.

Sam:grin:

·
Ace Tuner
3,549 Posts
I left my bike in a parking garage at uni for a little while and I went to go for a ride after not starting it for some time and I found that when it started it was flooded very quickly so that was my first problem, then the bike was running super rich once I got it started, acted like the choke was on when it wasn't and it was basically just pouring fuel out of the exhaust...

"not starting it for some time" -and- "it sat there for a while"
Makes me think you have "gummed up" carburetors. About how long did the bike sit without being run?

Also ... "but obviously it'd be lean" ... Not really. Most of the time plugged jets / passages inside the carbs will make it rich-foul the plugs.

Raw fuel pouring out of the exhaust means the carbs are flooding badly, most likely because the float valves are hanging open.
Porky is right about raw fuel getting in the engine. I'd be pretty sure there is fuel in your oil too.

All of what you describe would indicate that it's time to do some serious carb cleaning along with an oil change. < IMPORTANT!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts