Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Honda VFR1200X (sold), only mod was "The BoosterPlug".
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

...because, I can guarantee you, a highly skilled, contortionist / motorcycle thief (I've actually met hundreds of contortionist / motorcycle thieves myself), who has an array of custom made lock picks and a toolbox full of specially made sound deadened hack saws, hammers + chisels, is going to contort themselves, into just the right position... and sit there in full public view, skillfully straining, grinding, hammering and picking away, without setting off the alarm, to defeat one of these... and steal YOUR motorcycle!

Registered
Is there any consensus on which types of motorcycle locks are best? My bike weighs 1000lbs so it's no easy grab and go but still, even with the Harley alarm and pager system...if I'm not nearby those don't provide adequate protection. I got the brake lock for the handlebar but it's not very impressive. It is subtle though, hardly noticeable. The disk locks look interesting. What options are best for a big bagger?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't worry about the Shiver being stolen. Most guys here can't ride a clutch bike, it's also too tall and heavy for them, and since it's the only one in the island of Mindanao - what can they do with it?
Joy ride, then just ditch it? Some of those disk locks I've pointed out, are around $25 and they'd stop joy riders from even trying. Think of all the aggravation following a joy ride theft? Worth $25?

Registered
Joy ride, then just ditch it? Some of those disk locks I've pointed out, are around $25 and they'd stop joy riders from even trying. Think of all the aggravation following a joy ride theft? Worth $25?
Generally only under-bones are stolen here. I'm 6 feet tall and just touch the ground comfortably on the Shiver. The average height of a Filipino is 5.5 feet tall. I guess that they would have to bring a step ladder to get on it and steal it. :LOL:

Also, impossible to hot wire, has built in anti-theft.

So - 25 bucks? - nope. Don't need to spend it.

However - I do use Master cable locks for the Honda 125, Rusi SS 250, Yamaha 150 and the Classic 250 - they are all stealable here.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Generally only under-bones are stolen here. I'm 6 feet tall and just touch the ground comfortably on the Shiver. The average height of a Filipino is 5.5 feet tall. I guess that they would have to bring a step ladder to get on it and steal it. :LOL:

Also, impossible to hot wire, has built in anti-theft.

So - 25 bucks? - nope. Don't need to spend it.

However - I do use Master cable locks for the Honda 125, Rusi SS 250, Yamaha 150 and the Classic 250 - they are all stealable here.
Is your real name Gulliver?

Registered
The disk locks look interesting. What options are best for a big bagger?
Disk locks only prevent the opportunistic thief. There are many stories online about wheels being stolen, not the bike, because some of the mags that guys are putting on their bikes are not traceable, but sell for big bucks.

Always chain/cable your bike by a frame member - preferably to something immoveable - post, wall, bolt in a concrete floor.

And regarding: 'It is subtle though, hardly noticeable' - that actually isn't the point. From an aesthetic point of view - nice. From a security point of view - it should be obvious to discourage thieves.

Do you put up security lights/cameras around your home so they are discrete? Nope. You make them obvious and even put stickers on the wall/gates advertising that your property is being monitored.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.