Question about the V Star clutch - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturers > Yamaha

Old 02-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
HeavyMetal
Verified

HeavyMetal is on a distinguished road
Default Question about the V Star clutch

On my 2009 V-Star 1100 it tends to stall alot at low speeds. I found this site: http://www.clevverlever.com and they have a clutch lever that I think might help the problem. Has anyone ever bought one of these, and if so, did it help?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
Dennis in NH
Rough Writer

Dennis in NH is on a distinguished road

I've read about this thing and it's $47 shipped in the US. There are a few Vstar 1300 folks I read about that got it and liked it. The problem it solved was that for the Vstar 1300, there's a bit of a surge at low speed. This allowed more friction zone to manage the surge.

I don't know if it will help your stalling issue but with more friction zone, it surely cannot hurt it.

I'm mostly interested in this for reducing clutching fatigue. After practicing Ride Like a Pro techniques for say 20 minutes, my left hand is quite sore and I often have to stop and shake it out before continuing. It's just hard for me to justify the $47. If it was $37, and could ship to me next day, I'd get it.

Dennis
Dennis in NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Badlands-4-2
Super Moderator

Badlands-4-2 has a spectacular aura about

That looks like it would be a good idea. I used to have a vstar 1100 and I always thought that the friction zone in mine was really to small, but I just thought it was my bike.
Badlands-4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
mmcarter17
Verified

mmcarter17 is on a distinguished road

I think the "friction zone", even on the V-stars popps is pretty small too. It seems the Yamaha clutches grab right away. At first i thought it was from useing the wrong oil in the crankcase.That didn't make a diff in the zone. Then i changed the friction plates, nope. Then Barrnet springs,Nope. I just got used to it now its no big deal at all.
mmcarter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #5
louturks

louturks is on a distinguished road

When I had my Vstar 650, I didn't like that way that small friction zone was at all. I bought something similar to that. Worked real well.
louturks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Ikeman
Squirrel Assassin

Ikeman is on a distinguished road

Never knew something like this existed guys.. thanks.. I had to laugh at the last bullet on the product website.. "Stops being head-butted by your passenger"...
Ikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
roflol
Warning: Mood change in 3... 2... 1...

roflol is on a distinguished road

I'd like to ask a little more about the stalling issue you mentioned, Heavymetal.

The only other bike I've had was a '91 VLX and I didn't have it long so really nothing to compare to my current '05 V* 1100. Last year I was in a long line of slow-moving bikes and was using back brake and clutch for a really long time (as learned in RLAP), and suddenly the bike died and took a minute to restart.

Have heard in a place or two that this wouldn't have happened if I'd revved the motor once in a while, but others say this isn't the case. I'm still bugged by it and would really like to know how to avoid it in future. :]

What slow speeds are you talking about, HM, and is the stalling clearly because of the clutch or is it maybe something else and you're wondering if this Clevverlever will fix it?
roflol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
4Raven
Super Moderator

4Raven has a spectacular aura about

I have a 650 V* and it has the same problem...but I finally have gotten used to it...but sometimes it slips back.....I am wondering if it isn't to do with the cable.....

I found this on another site:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Motorcycl...650-V-star.htm

have to check your service manual on that one, The adjustment at the lever is for freeplay only. If there is another adjustment it's likely behind a cover. A clutch that slips under load and or engages when the lever is nearly all the way out is probably due for replacement. Your problems sound more adjustment related. Follow the cable down where it goes into the engine and see if there is a cover to remove?? Also look directly across the engine to the other side for a cover to remove

but $50....maybe try this first...then maybe the other lever

Thanks for the info...I put it in my favorites...
4Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:30 AM   #9
tom10167

tom10167 is on a distinguished road

Wow I just thought I was terrible, definitely a learning curve to my first bike's clutch. Just figured i sucked.

I still do, but not as badly.
tom10167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #10
StarFan

StarFan is on a distinguished road
Angry Vstar friction zone

Recieved a Clevverlever on Monday and installed it on my 650 silverado. Waiting to hear repley on the clutch cable rubbing on the end of adj. nut shaft. Has anyone else installed one of these and had the same problem? Also noticed this may be a generic lever.:
StarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
casilver

casilver is on a distinguished road

I guess I never thought about it much... and have gotten used to the 1300's small friction zone. I kind of like the small clutch lever travel when I want it, and I got used to feathering it when I don't.

Last edited by casilver; 03-04-2010 at 05:10 PM..
casilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
StarFan

Cool Clevver Lever

Recieved a reply on the clutch cable rub. Recieved pics by email that showed the seller's clutch cable with no signs of wear after 13K miles on it. Used a dremel on the end of the cable nut to bevel it anyhow. Now just need a break in the weather to try it out.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #13
Ramsfan87

Ramsfan87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarFan View Post
Recieved a reply on the clutch cable rub. Recieved pics by email that showed the seller's clutch cable with no signs of wear after 13K miles on it. Used a dremel on the end of the cable nut to bevel it anyhow. Now just need a break in the weather to try it out.
Would you mind letting us know how you like it when you do get your bike out there?
Ramsfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #14
StarFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsfan87 View Post
Would you mind letting us know how you like it when you do get your bike out there?
Had the Bike out today. Too used to the old feel and stalled it out. Feels much better. More friction zone to play with. Works well.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #15
Ramsfan87

Ramsfan87 is on a distinguished road

Well, I may look into getting one then...
Ramsfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote