Riding without a license plate on a newly bought bike. - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > Riders and the Law

Riders and the Law A forum to discuss legal issues of interest to riders

Old 01-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
hello_indigo
Verified

hello_indigo is on a distinguished road
Default Riding without a license plate on a newly bought bike.

I did it last year but it just had an expired paper plate. This upcoming April im planning to get another bike and I was wondering what i could do if there isnt a DMV nearby the bike owner's house. Can i just tell the police officer that i just bought the bike and show him the paper work if i get pulled over? Would i still get a ticket?
hello_indigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
justin68106
Rough Writer

justin68106 is on a distinguished road

If you have the paperwork to show you just bought it he can't give you a ticket. You've got 30 days from the day of purchase to license and register it.
justin68106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Biker Dash
Site Brony and Troll Eater

Biker Dash has a spectacular aura about

Justin is right I do believe, but I do recommend getting it registered and insured as quickly as possible.
Biker Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

It depends on the state. Some have a grace period for registration and others (like Illinois) don't. To properly register a bike here you have to leave it parked until you go down and get the temp plate at the DMV or a license service.
I'd give a call to the local DMV to see what the laws are there before making assumptions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dodsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:10 AM   #5
MikeK77
Manbear

MikeK77 is on a distinguished road

NJ would not only ticket you, but probably impound it as well....

What i did was, I had a friend in a cage follow me at night, and rode it home...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeK77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
Biker Dash
Site Brony and Troll Eater

Biker Dash has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, I had mine all registered before I brought it home, but thats because I decided I did not wish to take any chances. That, and I had a convention I was goin to the next day, and I was bloody determined to ride down there on it!
Biker Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #7
porange
Rough Writer

porange will become famous soon enough

The guy I bought my bike from was kind enough to ride it to my house for me, (I hadn't ridden motorcycles beyond the MSF course at this point) and then he took his plate when he left. Got my own plates soon thereafter.

As Dods said, it depends on the state. In OH you cannot operate any vehicle unless it's registered and has at least temp tags. Although, it might also depend on the officer that catches you, and the kind of day he's having.
porange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
hello_indigo
Verified

hello_indigo is on a distinguished road

Oh, darn. I live in ohio.
hello_indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
David 1

David 1 will become famous soon enough

Here (CA) the plate goes with the bike, so no one can tell you just bought it, if you can ride ok. (Some people may ride it like they just bought it).
You have ten days to get it registered in your name. But you should never move the bike without getting your insurance ... FIRST. Before you move it. You do not want to be in an accident without insurance. You are definitely caught then (ins. is required here) and it is a big fine, and can affect who has to pay for what, and can affect your license.
The only time you have a bike without a plate here, is, if it was salvage, or if it is new from the dealer. Then you have 30 days to put your plates on, but usually the dmv doesn't mail the plates til 40 days.
dc
David 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
Badlands-4-2
Super Moderator

Badlands-4-2 has a spectacular aura about

In ND the plate stays with the previous owner. You have to get a temp tag from the D.O.T. and display that until your new plates arrive. If you get a grace period here it is only because the officer is in a good mood.
Badlands-4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #11
Koda Coyote

Koda Coyote is on a distinguished road

The guys talking about insurance are correct. It does not matter what state you live in, you MUST have insurance on the bike if you are riding it. A quick call to your company and its ready to go so its not a whole lot of trouble. You will just need the frame vin number, year, make and model.

As for the plate, it depends on your state and I believe Ohio is a must-plate state. Easiest thing to do is either see if the guy will let you use the current plate on the bike to get it home or borrow a friends. Then get it registered asap.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:32 AM   #12
Badlands-4-2
Super Moderator

Badlands-4-2 has a spectacular aura about

As far as insurance goes I found that my insurance (state farm) has different grace periods for cars and bikes. They will automatically insure a new bike, but only for 5 days, then I have to let them know about it.
Badlands-4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:55 AM   #13
justin68106
Rough Writer

My State Farm agent told me 14 days, at least if I'm trading my bike in for another. Guess that probably varies state to state then
Old 01-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #14
ericman2001
Verified

ericman2001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands-4-2 View Post
In ND the plate stays with the previous owner. You have to get a temp tag from the D.O.T. and display that until your new plates arrive. If you get a grace period here it is only because the officer is in a good mood.
I thought you just had to fill out the back of the registration certificate and tape it to the plate holder while waiting for the gears of the state to grind away.

Personally, I'm a fan of SD registration though. Just go to your local county treasurer's office, pay money, receive plate. They'll hook you up with a plate and registration faster than Lens Crafters will hook you up with glasses! ND wasn't quite as awesome, in my opinion. It usually took 1 to 7 days longer to receive your plate in the mail than you had on your temporary plate. And I lived in the capital for crying out loud!

Edit: want to add a bit on the insurance too. I get my insurance through Allied and I too get a short grace period. But if I fail to notify them during the grace period, I'm SOL.

Last edited by ericman2001; 01-24-2010 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: Insurance bit
ericman2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:30 AM   #15
fakman
Master At Arms

fakman is on a distinguished road

basically i think the general rule of thumb is no plate you get in trouble. they do make trailers, the cop would probably tell you to trailer it home not ride it.
fakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #16
sirgilbert357
Rough Writer

sirgilbert357 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda Coyote View Post
As for the plate, it depends on your state and I believe Ohio is a must-plate state. Easiest thing to do is either see if the guy will let you use the current plate on the bike to get it home or borrow a friends.
Uh, I wouldn't borrow a friend's plate. That's just asking for trouble if a cop runs your plates for some reason. That would look real suspicious in my opinion...

"But honestly officer, he's a friend of mine..."
Old 02-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #17
ChriswithaHawk
Verified

ChriswithaHawk is on a distinguished road

not having paperwork all squared away with automobiles is a bad idea.. you can argue a speeding ticket in court.. Don't register/inspect and you are at the mercy of the judge.
ChriswithaHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #18
exodus0299
Verified

exodus0299 is on a distinguished road

ok so does anyone know the grace period details etc for NY?? I traded for my bike 3/28 and have not registered or titled it yet. Dont have the money right now!
exodus0299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #19
justin68106
Rough Writer

It's generally 30days, at least that's what it is in NE.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:31 AM   #20
exodus0299
Verified

exodus0299 is on a distinguished road

So what happens after the 30 days??
exodus0299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:54 AM   #21
justin68106
Rough Writer

Interest / penalties on the sales tax. The registration doesn't have to be done then, but you gotta pay the sales tax, so if you can afford that, pay that and register the bike later.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #22
deucepjd
Motorcyclist

deucepjd is on a distinguished road

I had the same ilegal ride home when I bought my bike. Even followed a sheriff for about 5 miles.

Did I mention I had not gotten my updated license with my cycle endorsement back yet, and it was my first ride on the "real' road ?

Yikes.
deucepjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:40 AM   #23
aaronrkelly
Rough Writer

aaronrkelly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The guys talking about insurance are correct. It does not matter what state you live in, you MUST have insurance on the bike if you are riding it.
Your incorrect....there are a few states where you do not have to license motorcycles.

Florida is one that does not.
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #24
RCMAN444
Motorcyclist

RCMAN444 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The guys talking about insurance are correct. It does not matter what state you live in, you MUST have insurance on the bike if you are riding it. A quick call to your company and its ready to go so its not a whole lot of trouble. You will just need the frame vin number, year, make and model.

As for the plate, it depends on your state and I believe Ohio is a must-plate state. Easiest thing to do is either see if the guy will let you use the current plate on the bike to get it home or borrow a friends. Then get it registered asap.
In FL if u own the bike with no payments you do not have to have insurance on the bike but u better have a legal tag and license or you are done for they will take the bike and fine you with a hefty fine
RCMAN444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #25
Kingshead
Banned

Kingshead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMAN444 View Post
In FL if u own the bike with no payments you do not have to have insurance on the bike but u better have a legal tag and license or you are done for they will take the bike and fine you with a hefty fine
Exactly correct about Fl, insurance not rquired but tags are a must.

Don't ride with borrowed tag, that's called an unassigned tag and you will go to jail, been there done that, and the tag was from one of my own vehicles.

Ca. is very different, need tag before insurance. Experienced this quite recently, agent said to register then return for ins. Inquired at the DMV if it was legal to drive and the response was affirmative. Absolutely crazy!
Kingshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #26
wchris84
Registered

wchris84 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus0299 View Post
ok so does anyone know the grace period details etc for NY?? I traded for my bike 3/28 and have not registered or titled it yet. Dont have the money right now!
There is no grace period in NY, all Motor Vehicles operated on a public highway have to be Registered, Insured and Inspected.
wchris84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #27
shogun88
Motorcyclist

shogun88 is on a distinguished road

I had my bike without license parked in my complex for almost a week. I got a note from the local sheriff warning me that I could get a ticket.
Don't take any chances go to the local DMV office they will give you a TAG right there on the spot.
shogun88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #28
_Wes
Cruising Illinois

_Wes is on a distinguished road

Same in Illinois - no plate - do not drive.

FWIW - we went to the DMV, and as soon as we title'd the bike, and paid the taxes, we got the plate right then & there. Of course, we didn't opt for the personalized - but we got the plate the same time we paid for it.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #29
John Flushing
Motorcyclist

John Flushing is on a distinguished road

I bought a motorcycle that was For Sale By Owner in Connecticut, and then drove it to New York with no license plate (the seller told me that this was not illegal, and to show the Connecticut registration paperwork if the cops chose to pull me over). It doesn't matter, because I never got caught.
John Flushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #30
FatBoyRider
Motorcyclist

FatBoyRider is on a distinguished road

This probably won't help ya much, but I just bought a new bike this past August and of course I got the paper plate. It was good to ride home on and like 31 days....anyway, at our BMV I go to register it, plate it and they of course take the money but get no plate.....In Indiana now, all plates for bikes come in the mail.....so I basically rode around on my paper longer than normal with a piece of paper in my billfold that said the temporary plate would be good until I received my regular plate....seems kinda weird that the license branch doesn't have plates, but oh well.....and also, here the dealer wouldn't release the bike for me to ride home without proof of insurance....said if I had a trailer I could have taken it, but no insurance, no bike...(to ride home on anyway).....
FatBoyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #31
tj107us
Verified

tj107us is on a distinguished road

In georgia you have 30 days to get a tag, within the 30 days you can ride around with the temp tag from the dealer. Tennessee has the same law too!!
tj107us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #32
RezZ
Atomic Bitchwax

RezZ is on a distinguished road

In PA i think it is only 10 days.
RezZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #33
KMWilliams
Super Moderator

KMWilliams will become famous soon enough

In PA you have 0 days. But normally you would get the tag at the same time you do the title transfer. If you show an existing policy for proof of insurance, you have 10 business days to get the policy updated, retroactive to the date of transfer.
KMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #34
cabreco
Verified

cabreco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_indigo View Post
I did it last year but it just had an expired paper plate. This upcoming April im planning to get another bike and I was wondering what i could do if there isnt a DMV nearby the bike owner's house. Can i just tell the police officer that i just bought the bike and show him the paper work if i get pulled over? Would i still get a ticket?
It depends on the state you live in but definitely for no insurance. Anything can happen & a ticket for no isurance is the least of your worries.
You have several options. The 1st 2 depends on what you have or who you know that can help you. The last is by far the easiers thing to do.

1. trailer it
2. haul it in a pickup bed
3. have the current owner drive it to your house with his tags.

If the bike is currently unregistered & off the road, I would be concerned about roadworthness on a long haul until you checked it all out.
cabreco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #35
RezZ
Atomic Bitchwax

RezZ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMWilliams View Post
In PA you have 0 days. But normally you would get the tag at the same time you do the title transfer. If you show an existing policy for proof of insurance, you have 10 business days to get the policy updated, retroactive to the date of transfer.
Ah thats what I was thinking of. 10 days seams reasonable to me to get insurance sorted out.
RezZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #36
ReconLdr
Master of Rex Kwon Do

ReconLdr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabreco View Post
It depends on the state you live in but definitely for no insurance. Anything can happen & a ticket for no isurance is the least of your worries.
You have several options. The 1st 2 depends on what you have or who you know that can help you. The last is by far the easiers thing to do.

1. trailer it
2. haul it in a pickup bed
3. have the current owner drive it to your house with his tags.

If the bike is currently unregistered & off the road, I would be concerned about roadworthness on a long haul until you checked it all out.
When I was fixing cars for a living, I got pulled over driving a customers car. The customer didn't have insurance on the car and I LOST MY DRIVERS LICENSE for 30 days!!!!!!!

In Pa, you don't have to register the vehicle right away. You don't have to transfer the title right away. (you pay taxes when you transfer the title) What ever you do, do not operate a motor vehicle on a public roadway without current insurance.

I have heard of cops giving people a "break" when they just bought a car/truck/bike from a private seller but I wouldn't bank on it...
ReconLdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #37
KMWilliams
Super Moderator

KMWilliams will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
In Pa, you don't have to register the vehicle right away.
100% correct, just don't get caught on the road with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
You don't have to transfer the title right away. (you pay taxes when you transfer the title)
NOT a good idea unless you have an in with a notary or plan to part it out and scrap what ever is left. Spoiled titles are a PITA.

While on the subject of taxes. Don't play the game, "hay, lets tell them I paid $3,000 instead of $4,000" if you plan to sell the vehicle later. If you sell it later for 3,500 the IRS will want to see some money come April 15th. The state will report your $500 gain to the feds.
KMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote