Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturers > Yamaha

Old 11-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Plumcrazy
Psychotic Reader

Location: Beautiful Ozarks in the middle of Razorback Country
Plumcrazy is on a distinguished road
Question 650 V Star vibration

Since I have owned (2007 new +300m) the bike it has had a vibration at 70ish and I always blamed the road or the wind buffeting the bug screen and the bike never seemed to want to go faster.

Now I am hearing that it may be a designed "vibration" to give the impression that "this is all the bike has got" to encourage stepping up to the 1100

Any truth to this or ????

Wayne S

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #2
primalmu
2003 Bandit 1200 (naked)

primalmu is on a distinguished road

Sounds like BS to me.
primalmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
charlo
Motorcyclist

charlo is on a distinguished road
Default 650

My 2008 yamaha 650 vibrates at about 60 and the higher the rpm the more it vibrates I think that is normal for the v-twin 950 not as much, 1300 not as much as the 950 etc. I like my 650 and it is a good all around bike but for long trips 1300 and above is needed .
charlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:36 AM   #4
bjfunbear
Verified

bjfunbear is on a distinguished road

If you mean the bike feels very buzzy that is normal with the 650s.Alot of people feel the bike needs another gear or taller gearing but its pretty much cost prohibited.You can do some mods to give it more power and a set of ISO grips do help with the buzz. Dont worry the motor can run those speeds all day long and it wont hurt em.
bjfunbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
4Raven
Super Moderator

4Raven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlo View Post
My 2008 yamaha 650 vibrates at about 60 and the higher the rpm the more it vibrates I think that is normal for the v-twin 950 not as much, 1300 not as much as the 950 etc. I like my 650 and it is a good all around bike but for long trips 1300 and above is needed .
hope that isn't true...about needing a 1300 for a long trip...have a long trip planned for next year...to Georgia and back!!! Oh well!

I notice a little vibration in mine....yes, always feels like I need another gear....but this one is going to have to do, for now! I rode 280 miles all highway speeds in one day....I think any vibration is just from the road and how it is maintained (or not) !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is liable to go to places no one has ever been before. - Albert Einstein
4Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
charlo
Motorcyclist

charlo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Raven View Post
hope that isn't true...about needing a 1300 for a long trip...have a long trip planned for next year...to Georgia and back!!! Oh well!

I notice a little vibration in mine....yes, always feels like I need another gear....but this one is going to have to do, for now! I rode 280 miles all highway speeds in one day....I think any vibration is just from the road and how it is maintained (or not) !!!
I did'nt mean that you had to have a 1300 for long trips ( for me long trip is 500 miles and above) but the 1300 has less vibration and more of a comfortable ride I have a 650 and I plan on a 700 round trip next year, when I get up to 60 mph foot boards and bars vibrate and every 100 miles I try to stop and take a break.
charlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Plumcrazy
Psychotic Reader

Quote:
when I get up to 60 mph foot boards and bars vibrate
I get the same thing...I in-soled the boots and am now wearing heavier gloves (yeah it's starting to get cold here), but it still is a bit painful after a long distance (100 mi).

Quote:
You can do some mods to give it more power
What kind of mods can I do that won't upset the warranty guy?

Wayne S
Plumcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
bjfunbear
Verified

bjfunbear is on a distinguished road

Check out this site,it has tons of useful info.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/sgmfa

As to warranty issues about all you can do aftermarket pipes and have the carbs re jetted at the dealership.

Last edited by bjfunbear; 11-27-2009 at 10:15 PM..
bjfunbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
4Raven
Super Moderator

4Raven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlo View Post
I did'nt mean that you had to have a 1300 for long trips ( for me long trip is 500 miles and above) but the 1300 has less vibration and more of a comfortable ride I have a 650 and I plan on a 700 round trip next year, when I get up to 60 mph foot boards and bars vibrate and every 100 miles I try to stop and take a break.
Oh man, that doesn't sound right! Could it be your tires or the road conditions? I don't have that much vibration in my bike! Did your bike sit for awhile, cause it could get flattened spots on the tires and that causes a vibration. I move mine around, even in the dead of winter, in the garage to keep that from happening.
4Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
Plumcrazy
Psychotic Reader

Raven: In my case, it's my daily/non-rain commuter ride (it was 33 the other morning and I still ride the 30 min one-way/mostly highway).

Thanks Bear, I'll check it out.

I'm still not convinced it's not the bug screen pushing air and the vibration is rattling my garage door opener, so it rules out any of my mental conditions.

I may wait till spring and take the screen off and see it that helps, right now it's keeping the "speed-induced" wind chill off me as well as rocks, sand and occasional bird.

Wayne S
Plumcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
tom10167

tom10167 is on a distinguished road

Try redlining the lower gears, it vibrates there too.
tom10167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
skooter Bum

skooter Bum is on a distinguished road

I have a Star 2008 V1100 Custom and I have a vibration from 65 to 75 mph.
I've heard it said that because of the V twin design,....it is the nature of the beast. In line or horizontally opposed motor layouts don't experience that type of vibrations. I know so will argue that, but go to the dealership and ask the service people about the vibration. It won't hurt.
skooter Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
mmcarter17
Verified

mmcarter17 is on a distinguished road

Well i'll tip my hat here. i ride the first generation XVS 650s, the Virago. It's a V-Twin ribration that because of the lower gearing accentuates those vibrations. Yamaha didn't do squat to approach this untill after the 1100 engines. Even them have a minimily different set of gears. Harley spent millions tryiong to get rid of it. And those XV and XVS bikes sure could use another gear. It's normal.
mmcarter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #14
Dennis in NH
Rough Writer

Dennis in NH is on a distinguished road

Yup, my 2004 Vstar 650 vibrated at those speeds too. The part that annoys me is that you're not really going that fast. Put a GPS to find out your real speed. The 650 is a great bike but keep it near 65mph for best results (less is probably better -- at least in stock form). Maybe running a synthetic oil might help.

When the speedo hit about 90mph (probably going 80mph), the bike felt like that was all it could do effectively. But, it wasn't really meant for that kind of thing anyway.

I went to a Vstar 1300. In stock form, that thing is very smooth at 70mph and more. To me, the bigger engine wasn't about power but more about comfort for longer highway touring esp. where some highways people go 80mph just to keep up with traffic.

Dennis
Dennis in NH is offline   Reply With Quote