kawasaki750h2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #42
joncallihan
Master At Arms

joncallihan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncallihan View Post
I'll have to drag it out from under the bench to see how "nice" they are. I'll take a pic or two, post them here, and you can decide. I'd really rather give the whole shootin match to anyone who will come get it rather than go thru the hassle of taking it apart.

Jon
I got lucky (and you got unlucky) yesterday. I was able to give the whole engine to a local rebuilder. He came to the house, moved all of the junk around it and hauled it away. He also took my old Yamaha TX750 at the same time. Now I will have just enough room in the garage to comfortably store the fresh trike build on my Silverwing.

Jon
joncallihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:20 PM   #43
jdotpdot84
Verified

jdotpdot84 is on a distinguished road

Hoping to revive this thread, I also have a '72 GT750 and wanting to know where I can go to get fluid specs as I have virtually no info. and so far haven't found much online....
jdotpdot84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #44
zooment
Motorcyclist

zooment is on a distinguished road

jdotpdot84 -
I have an owners manual for a '72 GT750J. All I need to do is find it. That may have information you need. Or do you need a service manual?
zooment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #45
175owner
Verified

175owner is on a distinguished road

Very Nice! My ex-father in law has the same bike in his barn. It hasn't seen the light of day since the early 80's. He's been after me to get it.

Now that I've seen your bike; its got me thinking. If I do get it; it'll be in line... need to finish the 1966 HD FLH and then the 1971 CB175, but it will be cool dreaming about it.

Thanks for sharing

Last edited by 175owner; 11-14-2011 at 08:11 AM..
175owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #46
Chazz
Verified

Chazz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooment View Post
jdotpdot84 -
I have an owners manual for a '72 GT750J. All I need to do is find it. That may have information you need. Or do you need a service manual?

Zoo are you still looking for this info?
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #47
Chazz
Verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175owner View Post
Very Nice! My ex-father in law has the same bike in his barn. It hasn't seen the light of day since the early 80's. He's been after me to get it.

Now that I've seen your bike; its got me thinking. If I do get it; it'll be in line... need to finish the 1966 HD FLH and then the 1971 CB175, but it will be cool dreaming about it.

Thanks for sharing
Dose your father in law still have the bike and is he looking to get rid of it?
Old 02-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #48
Chazz
Verified

topped
Old 03-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #49
jdotpdot84
Verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
Zoo are you still looking for this info?
I'm still looking for the info. I've ordered an old hayne's book for it should be here soon, getting the itch to get out and work on it since it's getting nice out.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:48 PM   #50
Chazz
Verified

Jdot, I will go look in my garage. I am pretty sure I have the info your looking for. I used to run 20W 50 in the tranny if that is the spec your looking for. It was a bit thicker but it worked for years. I got 2 of these bikes I would love to restore someday... problem is some day never gets here.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #51
jdotpdot84
Verified

Quote:
Jdot, I will go look in my garage. I am pretty sure I have the info your looking for. I used to run 20W 50 in the tranny if that is the spec your looking for. It was a bit thicker but it worked for years. I got 2 of these bikes I would love to restore someday... problem is some day never gets here.
That would be awesome! Yeah I read 5w20 in the motor and SAE30 2 stroke oil in the tranny, of course that was out of a 20+ year old resource, and the fact I've never worked on a 2 stroke doesn't really help lol I have a '04 R6 that I've worked on a lot, but yeah when it comes to the older one I have a big question mark above my head, I look forward to the learning process. That's awesome that you have 2 to restore, what years are they? I'm thinking of upgrading the drum brakes to disc, which I think they switched to in '73 or '74, but have read both good and bad on that...
Old 03-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #52
Chazz
Verified

Sorry I haven't got that info for you yet. I have been pretty busy. The 2 stroke oil goes in the container under the seat as its oil injected. The 20w 50 is actually the tranny fluid and If I recall it holds 250 cc's. Don't quote me on that yet. I have 2 of the 72 750's. One is in bad enough shape I may just use it for parts as I can't seem to find the oil seals I need to rebuild the motor in my other one.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #53
jdotpdot84
Verified

Quote:
Sorry I haven't got that info for you yet. I have been pretty busy. The 2 stroke oil goes in the container under the seat as its oil injected. The 20w 50 is actually the tranny fluid and If I recall it holds 250 cc's. Don't quote me on that yet. I have 2 of the 72 750's. One is in bad enough shape I may just use it for parts as I can't seem to find the oil seals I need to rebuild the motor in my other one.
Thanks for the info., at the risk of sounding like an idiot let me see if I got this right...I'm good on the 2 stroke oil only question there is if you might now off hand how much it holds, the 20w 50 is the tranny fluid NOT the engine oil? Do you know the weight of the engine oil? I thought I read 5w20 but then again I might be off, I also read it holds just under 2 qts., does that sound about right? Once again, sorry if I sound like a newb, which I am to these bikes, just don't want to take an already bad situation (state of the bike) and make it worse ....
Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #54
Chazz
Verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdotpdot84 View Post
Thanks for the info., at the risk of sounding like an idiot let me see if I got this right...I'm good on the 2 stroke oil only question there is if you might now off hand how much it holds, the 20w 50 is the tranny fluid NOT the engine oil? Do you know the weight of the engine oil? I thought I read 5w20 but then again I might be off, I also read it holds just under 2 qts., does that sound about right? Once again, sorry if I sound like a newb, which I am to these bikes, just don't want to take an already bad situation (state of the bike) and make it worse ....
Well so far I can't find my damn manual. I tore my garage up looking for it and still no luck. Ok done ranting. The 20 w 50 actually does both as the tranny and motor are hooked together. If I remember right there is a stamp on the motor next to the oil fill hole with the number of CC'S of oil it takes. Also there is a screw below the oil fill hole that once you fill the bike you can put it on the center stand and remove the screw and any oil that is above the amount it will hold will drain out of that screw hole. I am going to keep digging in the garage and find that manual if it kills me..
Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 PM   #55
jdotpdot84
Verified

Quote:
Well so far I can't find my damn manual. I tore my garage up looking for it and still no luck. Ok done ranting. The 20 w 50 actually does both as the tranny and motor are hooked together. If I remember right there is a stamp on the motor next to the oil fill hole with the number of CC'S of oil it takes. Also there is a screw below the oil fill hole that once you fill the bike you can put it on the center stand and remove the screw and any oil that is above the amount it will hold will drain out of that screw hole. I am going to keep digging in the garage and find that manual if it kills me..
Ha, thank you I really appreciate the info. I'll have to go check out the bike tomorrow to look for the info. you mentioned. It's been sitting for about 20 years, when it was put up it still ran fine, it was my dad's bike he said it "should" start up lol. The carbs have been rebuilt already and fuel lines replaced. I don't know how long it sat with no fluids so my main concern at this point is dried out seals. Wanting to try to get out there this weekend, flush the radiator out fill it with fluids, put the new plugs in then cross my fingers and pray
Old 03-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #56
jdotpdot84
Verified

Quick question, any ideas on the oil filter type to use for this bike? I've been looking online and in a book and have found nothing...
Old 03-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #57
jdotpdot84
Verified

Ok messed around with the bike this weekend, come to find out the new fuel lines that were put on were new and not cut to fit and never hooked to the carbs, does anyone have a pic of how theirs are routed? Trying to get some ideas. If you're sitting on the bike the carb on the far left and center are good, the one I have to finish is the one on the right. I thought I had it but when I set the petcock to prime that line won't flow, it's getting gas as I disconnected the fuel line and it is coming out of the petcock....thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #58
Chazz
Verified

Jdot. On mine there are 4 fittings on the bottom of the petcock. When kneeling beside the bike facing the front the left fitting goes to the left most carb. The middle fitting goes to the middle carb and the right fitting goes to the right carb and the right most fitting is actually a vaccuum line that hooks to the left most carb close to where the carb meets the motor. There should be a fitting for it. You probably did not get a lot of flow as it needs the vacuum to flow right. Still looking for my manual as I don't even remember where the oil filter is.

Last edited by Chazz; 03-26-2012 at 06:46 PM..
Old 03-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #59
jdotpdot84
Verified

Talking

Quote:
Jdot. On mine there are 4 fittings on the bottom of the petcock. When kneeling beside the bike facing the front the left fitting goes to the left most carb. The middle fitting goes to the middle carb and the right fitting goes to the right carb and the right most fitting is actually a vaccuum line that hooks to the left most carb close to where the carb meets the motor. There should be a fitting for it. You probably did not get a lot of flow as it needs the vacuum to flow right. Still looking for my manual as I don't even remember where the oil filter is.
I went out and looked and see what you mean, I will have to pick up a fuel line to make that connection, thanks a lot for the info., you just solved a major headache! I'm going to be working on it within the next couple days and will update, I check here daily though.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #60
Chazz
Verified

Quote:
I went out and looked and see what you mean, I will have to pick up a fuel line to make that connection, thanks a lot for the info., you just solved a major headache! I'm going to be working on it within the next couple days and will update, I check here daily though.
JP glad I could be at least a little help... I still can't find my freaking manual. I am starting to get mad about it. I know its in the garage and my garage ain't that big. Keep me posted on the bike I am dying to hear how you do.... Maybe some day I can restore the 2 I have.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #61
jdotpdot84
Verified

Quote:
JP glad I could be at least a little help... I still can't find my freaking manual. I am starting to get mad about it. I know its in the garage and my garage ain't that big. Keep me posted on the bike I am dying to hear how you do.... Maybe some day I can restore the 2 I have.
So I went out today thinking what I'd cut off the other day might be enough to run the line without having to buy one, nope of course not! So going to go tomorrow and check, going to check on a battery as well, the one in it was probably @ 20 years old! Will definitely keep you updated. This one will need some cosmetic work for sure, but at this point just wanting to get it running and go from there... thanks again for all your help.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #62
Blackek21
Motorcyclist

Blackek21 is on a distinguished road

Very nice bike! So clean! I just picked up a '72 GT380 myself, but it's is pretty rough condition so I'll be doing some serious work on her. Thinking about turning it into a cafe racer.
Blackek21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #63
jdotpdot84
Verified

So I rerouted the fuel lines and hooked up the vaccum line, didn't seem to help with the flow, then again I am assuming you have to have a good battery for the vaccum to work lol, I got a new one and it's charging now so hoping to find out soon!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #64
jdotpdot84
Verified

Ok hooked the battery up yesterday surprisingly a lot still worked, the starter for one, lights, etc. However, while it turned over it would not start. I checked and it doesn't look like it's getting any spark, so starting with the simple thing first, plug wires. Any good ideas on where to find any online?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #65
JKot55
Motorcyclist

JKot55 is on a distinguished road

Any chance that you are replacing the chain? I have a 72 GT750 (blue) and cannot seem to get an accurate part order from the dealer. If you replaced yours can you tell me brand, size, number of links and where you got it? Thank you
JKot55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #66
jdotpdot84
Verified

Ok so no spark at any of the points, so thinking perhaps condensers are bad, guess first thing is to clean each of the points to see if that helps, and then go from there. I've seen some people do an electronic replacement to the points but don't think I want to spend that kind of money right now, anyone had any luck in locating replacement condensers or points?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #67
Chazz
Verified

JP if you can't find them at the suzuki dealer try ebay. I have had a lot of luck finding parts on there.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #68
jdotpdot84
Verified

Thanks Chazz, I cleaned the points a bit and am getting spark now, need to gap them though as they're not sparking each time they open and close. Working on getting my hands on a feeler gauge. Next question, I was reading about adjusting the carbs and found a section noting that if you remove the hex nut that is above the air adjustment screw there is a piston in the carb with a bronze marking that should be just to the top of the opening when at full throttle. I achieve that at quarter of a turn at most, I've tried adjusting with the throttle cable that goes into the top of the carb with no success....thoughts?
Old 04-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #69
jdotpdot84
Verified

Well adjusted the points, and they're only sparking every 2nd or 3rd time they open, so replacing all points and condensers. Called a shop here and they have the complete set for 50 bucks shipped, done and done!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #70
Chazz
Verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKot55 View Post
Any chance that you are replacing the chain? I have a 72 GT750 (blue) and cannot seem to get an accurate part order from the dealer. If you replaced yours can you tell me brand, size, number of links and where you got it? Thank you

Jkot,
If I could find my manual I could answer that for ya. I cant remember what the part number is for that chain.

JP I will look at my carbs and see if I can remember how to adjust those.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #71
jdotpdot84
Verified

Jkot mine is also blue in regards to the chain yes I will have to replace it but haven't yet. You should check out http://www.ironpony.com/ . This is where I got the points and condensers and they even had them in stock! I just ordered them over the phone and they are shipping them to me. I don't know where you're located but that shop is in Ohio. I've always had good luck with them, they've done work on my Yamaha for me and were lifesavers. If you find out the chain specs let me know as well as that's something else on my list...once it's running of course!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #72
JKot55
Motorcyclist

JKot55 is on a distinguished road

JDOTPDOT84, thank you for the link. I sent them an email. BTW, I know a guy in Colorado that makes transistorized ignitions and he just started making them for 2-stroke tripples. I bought one years ago for my 75 CB750-4 and now ordered one for the GT750. It just plugs in and uses all existing points, etc. Takes some strain off the points so they last longer and adds some performance. My GT750 starts and runs fine but like the idea of saving the points and getting a better spark. Let me know if you are interested and I'll get the info for you.

CHAZZ, I have the manual and did not see a part number but will go back and look.

Thanks a bunch.
JKot55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #73
Chazz
Verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKot55 View Post
JDOTPDOT84, thank you for the link. I sent them an email. BTW, I know a guy in Colorado that makes transistorized ignitions and he just started making them for 2-stroke tripples. I bought one years ago for my 75 CB750-4 and now ordered one for the GT750. It just plugs in and uses all existing points, etc. Takes some strain off the points so they last longer and adds some performance. My GT750 starts and runs fine but like the idea of saving the points and getting a better spark. Let me know if you are interested and I'll get the info for you.

CHAZZ, I have the manual and did not see a part number but will go back and look.

Thanks a bunch.
Jkot,
The manual I have I actually copied from a university years ago. It had ever torque value for every bolt on the bike along with part numbers and such. I just can't find the freaking thing in my garage. Its in a nice folder and just cant locate it. I am thinking I might have to go find another one. For some reason I am thinking 508 and 52 links for some reason
Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #74
jdotpdot84
Verified

New points/condensers arrived today, replaced all of those, nothing like messing with screws that haven't been touched in 30 years to brighten your day! I have spark now like I should, after replacing the first set it popped like it thought about starting, after replacing them all, nothing. However, they're not yet gapped properly so doing that tomorrow (don't have a feeler gauge), and hoping to see some progress....
Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #75
jdotpdot84
Verified

Great news got it running, now does anyone have carb adjusting tips? I can only rev it to about 2k rpms and it wants to die....
Old 04-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #76
Chazz
Verified

Quote:
Great news got it running, now does anyone have carb adjusting tips? I can only rev it to about 2k rpms and it wants to die....
JP Congrats man glad to hear it. Did you rebuild the carbs already?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #77
Chazz
Verified

JP sounds like its starving. Are you getting good flow through the lines? I think there is a screen on the petcock in the tank. It might be clogged.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #78
jdotpdot84
Verified

Thanks Chazz, well the petcock/screen are all new (never had gas through it), carbs were rebuilt before I got the bike by my father, but not adjusted, so I'd have to think there in lies the problem. It will idle fine @ 1000 rpm or so, tomorrow I'm draining the gas out (not horrible but not fresh either) and replace it with fresh gas, i had some old oil come out of the exhaust pipes that have been in there for who knows how long, I know it was old b/c it was extremely dirty and I put all new in it. I adjusted the smaller screws on the carbs all the way in and back out 1 1/2 turns per the book I have. I'm not sure where the ones you can do by hand should be, or if the 1 1/2 turns is even enough.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #79
hondaboy1988
Verified

hondaboy1988 is on a distinguished road

how fast does she go
hondaboy1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #80
jdotpdot84
Verified

well right now doesn't go lol it'll run so that's a good thing, not sure if i'm having carb or timing issues...has to be one of the two b/c when I give it gas it barely revs and wants to die...