Should I pay MSRP for a new motorcycle? - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 10-22-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
Calintz333
Master At Arms

Calintz333 is on a distinguished road
Default Should I pay MSRP for a new motorcycle?

I am looking at the Hyosung GV250 motorcycle, MSRP at $3700 bucks.

I have gotten on the bike and feel quite comfortable and not cramped at 6.0 tall.

The MPH is highest of all 250cc cruiser models around 90mph top speed as well as the seat hight being one of the highest and overall has gotten huge praise by many motorcycle reviews.

Now I want to get this bike in February and I will have that exact amount of money by then maybe a bit more around $3800. My question is, Should I indeed pay the MSRP price for a motorcycle? Basically the dealership wants to sell me the bike for $4200. I am going to pay in one payment all in cash (bills). Under these conditions I am willing to pay exactly what the price tag on the bike is and not a cent more. ($3700) Is that a fair deal for both me and the dealership yes or no?

Would a dealership agree to this?

If any of you have worked for or work for a dealership what tips do you have for me buying that motorcycle?
Calintz333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #2
Biker Dash
Site Brony and Troll Eater

Biker Dash has a spectacular aura about

If your paying in cash, usually, dealerships are more inclined to work with you on price. You may actually be able to talk him down to the MSRP if you show him that you have the cash. Also, find out what bike dealers in the area have other bikes that would be comparable. If he balks at dealing, then you could let him know you are thinking of going to one of his competitors...
Biker Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:03 AM   #3
FlyBy
Motorcycling Unplugged !!

FlyBy is on a distinguished road

Ask him out of the door price no BS and negotiate on that price. Usually the tagged price is the actualy price of the bike and it has a fine print which says assembly and other charges extra .
Old 10-22-2009, 01:13 AM   #4
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

Definitely deal using the out the door price. It can't hurt to ask for the lower price and see what they say. Dealers will have a little wiggle room in their profit margin and will usually work with you a bit, especially in the off season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dodsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:47 AM   #5
raitchison
TRIKEDRIVER

raitchison is on a distinguished road

What's the extra (over the MSRP) supposedly for, it it's for things like assembly I'm sure they will be more flexible than if it's for sales tax or VLF (you are in California?)
raitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:51 AM   #6
Calintz333
Master At Arms

Calintz333 is on a distinguished road

Yes I am in California. I would buy used but a GV250 from Hyosung is very rare used. They don't seem to even be very common new. On top of that I am looking for a black one...most are red.

Last edited by Calintz333; 10-22-2009 at 02:02 AM..
Calintz333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
chrisw

chrisw is on a distinguished road

make sure you get the EFI model (if it comes on the 250's) they are great bikes, however I would strongly urge considering the EFI 650.

make sure you get it from a reputable dealer thats close by though, because if its anything like my GT650R, you will more than likely need a few warranty repairs (luckily its a 2 year unlimited km warranty).

If you live in a coastal area, I would actually suggest NOT buying a hyosung, just because they rust easy. but if your anal about your bike maintainance, go ahead and get one. they are great bikes with a low pricetag.

If you do get one, there is a few things to remember. change the plug to NGK ones asap for safety, and get better brake pads. thats about it.
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote