Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 10-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
mitchberry
Powder Coating Service Austin Texas

mitchberry is on a distinguished road
Default what are the benefits to being in a "motorcycle club"

naa.. i don't mean a biker gang..

For example, there are suzuki owner clubs, corvette owner clubs, camaro owners club, greyhound dog owner clubs, and just about anything else.

I've never been a part of one of those, so i'm wondering what the benefits can possibly be?

99% of clubs i've found charge membership dues. If i'm paying to be in a club, what can i possibly gain from it that i can't gain from a forum like this?
mitchberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

Riding with a group is one advantage. There are also charitable events that some clubs do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dodsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
SuperSherpa197
The Cool Joker

SuperSherpa197 is on a distinguished road

you get free bbq now and then? hahahaha

i know a lot of guys in our local MC, but since i don't have the time or money to do all the events they do (most are really cool middle aged black guys on sport bikes that ride ridiculously long distances to party etc), i don't think i'd do them much good for joining. but every time i run into them, they treat me like family.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SuperSherpa197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
afmajernik
SSGT USAF

afmajernik is on a distinguished road

the main things you gain from joining MCs is people to ride with and the brotherhood of having people that will help you out when you need it
afmajernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
Jay550
Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a bike

Jay550 is on a distinguished road

You have people with similar bikes. You have a shared pool of knowledge specific to that bike that can be a huge resource should you have problems. The groups will be smaller than a site like this, however if everyone had the same bike, any problems that can occur, and how to fix them cheap and effectively, will come to the surface very quickly. Different riding styles and their effects on the bike. And ideas for modifications, upgrades, things like that, will be more common. Parts specific for your bike will be more plentiful and in one location, and with the club, you'll probably get better prices than you would with retail.

Jay550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
Jay550
Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a bike

Jay550 is on a distinguished road

Case in point. I was having a problem specific to my Roadstar and posted it on the club forums. 10 minutes later I had a detailed explanation of potential causes and fixes, what to check, where to look, and what to do. Because that's the thing, pretty much every problem you could encounter, someone else already has, and has developed a fix for it.

Jay550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Schneiderman

Schneiderman will become famous soon enough

I ride a Kawasaki Concours, and there is such a thing as the Concours Owner's Group. IIRC it's like $40 per year to be a member, and you a subscription to The Concourier which has info and articles and whatever about the Concours. You also get access to a directory of other Concours owners, many of whom are ready and willing to help with mechanical issues or maintenance or whatever.

I'm not a member, but I can see why people would want to be, I've heard great things about the group but there's a brotherhood even amongst those of us who don't pay the fee.
Schneiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
bdavison

bdavison is on a distinguished road

You can get everything that a MC would offer for free, and without the obligation that a club would require....especially a 1% club, and you know what Im talking about.

Look for a church with a motorcycle ministry. I recently joined up with one here. We go on rides every saturday, and we have charity rides, and we are also going to ride in some local parades.

Also, alot of MC's are on the Department of Justice watchlist. So as soon as you join them...you are on it too. Why put yourself in that situation.
Bandidos
Hells Angels
Black Pistons
Outlaws
Mongols
Pagans
Sons of Silence
Vagos
Free Souls
Highwaymen
Warlocks
All on the Watchlist. And people think that when they join a 99% club, they are ok....what they dont realize is that those 99% clubs still answer to the 1% clubs somewhere along the line.

Most states have a confederation. Its basically the 1% telling the other 99% how to run things...and if they dont, well you dont want to go there. Those that dont comply, usually end up disbanded or worse.

Dont waste your time with a MC.

And dont think you can just go form your own MC and patch up. That would be a big mistake.

If you want the brotherhood and group riding...great, go find a bunch of riders that share your common interest, and go riding. You dont need a patch to make you a motorcyclist.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #9
jmark
Rough Writer

jmark is on a distinguished road

Ask not what your motorcycle club can do for you, but what you can do for your motorcycle club.

Seriously, tho, apart from the fact that the use of the term "motorcycle club" is probably not appropriate for what this question seems to be about... if all you want to know is, "what do I get from it?", then the answer is, "never mind, just move along now..."
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:40 AM   #10
mitchberry

"Bandidos
Hells Angels
Black Pistons
Outlaws
Mongols
Pagans
Sons of Silence
Vagos
Free Souls
Highwaymen
Warlocks "

I consider those biker gangs..

With all due respect to people who are in those clubs that may be responding to my posts, that's not what i had in mind when i put this post up.

i meant more along the lines of "Austin TX Suzuki "Twin" Owners club" or something like that (which doesn't exist...)
Old 10-06-2009, 02:26 AM   #11
SuperSherpa197
The Cool Joker

nope. free food at grilling/bbq meets is the only reason to join a MC

Old 10-06-2009, 03:02 AM   #12
mitchberry

lolol
Old 10-06-2009, 03:16 AM   #13
SuperSherpa197
The Cool Joker

i'm so not kidding but mitch you get the idea. i love my local boys but i swear every 'meet' is more about eating and catching up with each other. last time i rode with them all i heard (after we stopped at the dairy queen in june) was OL' DUDE WAS HANGING OFF HIS BIKE LIKE SO FN BAD THOSE CORNERS WERE SO BADASSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in southest geogia.....god forbed we ever go to the moubtains....we might have to type up some obituaries hahahahahahhaha

Last edited by SuperSherpa197; 10-06-2009 at 03:24 AM..
Old 10-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
Bob Mitchell
Verified

Bob Mitchell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchberry View Post
naa.. i don't mean a biker gang..

For example, there are suzuki owner clubs, corvette owner clubs, camaro owners club, greyhound dog owner clubs, and just about anything else.

I've never been a part of one of those, so i'm wondering what the benefits can possibly be?

99% of clubs i've found charge membership dues. If i'm paying to be in a club, what can i possibly gain from it that i can't gain from a forum like this?
You are looking for a "riding" club, not a "motorcycle" club. The differences are huge. Google "rcvsmc.net" for a site with a wealth of information on the differences. Also, check out the "Southern Cruisers Riding Club" web site. They charge no dues, have few meetings and welcome bikes and bikers of all types. There are hundreds of chapters throughout the US including many in TX and one in Austin where you are.

Sorry for not including the links themselves but the software says I don't have a high enough post count to include clickable links in my messages.
Bob Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
black27696
Underpaid

black27696 will become famous soon enough

http://www.rcvsmc.net/

Their website looks pretty shabby though. White background with white hyperlinks? Select the entire page, that will let you see the links. There are also some broken images. Could just be this machine but I doubt it.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #16
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by black27696 View Post
http://www.rcvsmc.net/

Their website looks pretty shabby though. White background with white hyperlinks? Select the entire page, that will let you see the links. There are also some broken images. Could just be this machine but I doubt it.
I'm showing an image background behind the links on the left of the page. The picture must not have loaded properly.

Dodsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #17
black27696
Underpaid

black27696 will become famous soon enough

Turns out that some of the problems we had with the network earlier today (as in, the entire school network tanked for an hour) were still going on. A loop here, a non-updating route here...death. Interesting site I guess.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:24 AM   #18
Weebel
Banned

Weebel is on a distinguished road

I was sort of a member of a J-body club (and still am) but thats going by the wayside with our cars being so old now.... thats about as close as I've gotton to something like that..

As for a Riding club... other than riding with some friends now and then.... I wouldnt want any part of it.... Maybe a club like your "not" talking about... but that would be doubtful.
Weebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #19
secondroy
Road Captain

secondroy is on a distinguished road

I just moved to the area I live now and haven't joined a club yet. But I will soon as some of my best memories are those where I participated in events with a club I belonged to.

What I got out of a club was the friendships made during these events and the ability to have someone to ride with to them. We had parties every month and participated in charitable events often. As soon as I find a club that fits me where I live now, I'll join it.
secondroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #20
badinfluence63
Banned

badinfluence63 is on a distinguished road

I hear what you're saying. There are plenty of upsides and a few downsides.

some upsides: peoples to ride with,sharing comaraderie on the rode with same kinds of people. Multi day rides are fun with a few people to share the adventure with. There are more along those lines.

The down side is you at the mercy of somone who focs up your trip because they don't keep their bike as well maintained as yours. Inevitable it always seems that w/out fail someone comes along and starts adding to do and what not to do guidelines. Even HOG has stuff along those lines.

I reccomend trying to hook up with 1-2 maybe 3 at the most that are same mnded as you and it can be real fun. Having a dependable person with you on a long trip is a good thing..
badinfluence63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #21
Fantastic4Cylinder
Verified

Fantastic4Cylinder is on a distinguished road

I find that the few meetings I've gone to of "clubs" or "riding groups" tend to be a little snobbish with regards to the specific brand of bikes (and with Ducati riders, well, you can imagine the potential for "holier than thou" type behavior). The best groups you're already close to finding: on forums, folks in your area who are down for riding, not riding with a certain brand or at a certain level of speed/daring/etc. No need to put a label on it, just post looking for some buddies.
Fantastic4Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:04 AM   #22
Gar
PRO NOSTRUM MUNERIS

Gar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark View Post
Ask not what your motorcycle club can do for you, but what you can do for your motorcycle club.

Seriously, tho, apart from the fact that the use of the term "motorcycle club" is probably not appropriate for what this question seems to be about... if all you want to know is, "what do I get from it?", then the answer is, "never mind, just move along now..."
That is one of the best answers I have ever heard, So many guys think that is the way things work. Thats why we are so selective about prospects, you have to weed out undesirables.
Gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:16 AM   #23
Gar
PRO NOSTRUM MUNERIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchberry View Post
"Bandidos
Hells Angels
Black Pistons
Outlaws
Mongols
Pagans
Sons of Silence
Vagos
Free Souls
Highwaymen
Warlocks "

I consider those biker gangs..

With all due respect to people who are in those clubs that may be responding to my posts, that's not what i had in mind when i put this post up.

i meant more along the lines of "Austin TX Suzuki "Twin" Owners club" or something like that (which doesn't exist...)

If you meant what you said about due respect then STOP calling us "biker gangs" We are Clubs, private fraternal clubs! I have never robbed an old lady, spray painted a wall, called some one hommie, nigga (with out the r), I have never held my hand up in a distorted or retarded manner like a gimp on crack. So if you meant what u said then, show it......
Gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:42 AM   #24
Weebel
Banned

We have 2 of those clubs in that list around my area...

IDK... I would prob do it given the chance (depending on the club) but I'll be ****ed If I'de ever bring the idea up.

Hell even when I talk to people in a real club, the fact they are in one never even comes up although they have their vest on at the time... as far as Im concerned its just (place guys name here) and not a member of (place club name here).... IDK why so many people are so fascinated with these clubs like they are....

It would be nice to find a group of like minded people that wouldn't stab you in the **** back though...

Personally... IDK if I've ever used the term gang.... the people I've met in them just dont call themselves that so I never have either.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #25
matty22_ec
Verified

matty22_ec is on a distinguished road

Group rides, charity events, BBQs - all part of clubs or groups. They are all great ways to meet new people and being part of a motorcycle club gives you the opportunity to do this kind of stuff more often.
matty22_ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #26
matty22_ec
Verified

matty22_ec is on a distinguished road

Gives you an opportunity to learn more about your bike and others from the knowledge of the group.
matty22_ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #27
thehairlessone!
Verified

thehairlessone! is on a distinguished road

there are a couple where I live. one is a christian club and one is more of a gang. I dont know that I would want to ride with either.

rick
thehairlessone! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #28
SOG

Location: Currently in Hong Kong, a nice place packed with people.. it's like Bee Hive
SOG is on a distinguished road

yeah, ride in Group, the food, and a sort of things and hey motorcycleforum is sort of a motorcycle club !

So you might get discount buying, and if you have questions they will help you out... and um... most important is people share.... some people share their Experiences, trips, pictures, woman, and you know all sort of opinion related to bikes milage, tires... oh wait, did I type woman? that's not what I mean, some people think their bike is like their woman

Anyway it's just another way to interact with people just like going to church, but the main subject it not about Jesus (I go to Church too, by the way)
SOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #29
ʋʝɱ-ℒℯℳ
Master At Arms

ʋʝɱ-ℒℯℳ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar View Post
If you meant what you said about due respect then STOP calling us "biker gangs" We are Clubs, private fraternal clubs! I have never robbed an old lady, spray painted a wall, called some one hommie, nigga (with out the r), I have never held my hand up in a distorted or retarded manner like a gimp on crack. So if you meant what u said then, show it......
Your club is hardly what he is talking about.
If you dont think Warlocks and Pagans dont
fulfill the definition of a 'gang', you clearly have
no understanding or knowledge of them.
You can fawn over gangs and the 'brotherhood',
but growing up/living in the middle of one of thier
war zones and seeing first hand the stuff they do,
the events they disrupt and the people and business
they hurt, lots of MC'ers dont share that love.
ʋʝɱ-ℒℯℳ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #30
Weebel
Banned

I never see the type of thing and we have clubs here... maybee they are just smart people IDK.... but I never even hear about them being a problem....

THats just my area though..

As for riding clubs..... I'm more apt to just ride with people I already know... I'm not hard up for riding ompanions enough to go looking for them.... Although I do have to agree that Model specific forums can be very usefull.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #31
badinfluence63
Banned

badinfluence63 is on a distinguished road

With the bigger and more popular 1%ers it seems lunacy at times. Just watch when some of them show up on the History Channel "Gangland " series. Many equate dying for their patch similar as dying for your countries flag in a war. I always figured they'd be smart to follow the mob who established a commision to mimimize the body count and the negative attention it brought. Bad for business and all that.
badinfluence63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #32
TJDukit
Air Force Desk Jockie

TJDukit is on a distinguished road

I used to be part of a "Jeep club" it was actually more like a bunch of friends who wanted to mock the actual Jeep clubs in town who polished their Jeeps and did parades but never went four-wheeling. It was sort of a club and we had weekly meetings but no dues.

There was a lot of experience to be gained from the more experienced guys and a great knowledge pool. We went out once a month to Amarillo to go Rock Crawling, we didn't exclude anybody either. we didn't really care what kind of off-road vehicle your drove as long as you provided something to the group.

Personally I think it would be better for the most part to find a group of friends with a common interest in riding...you can get that same feeling of brotherhood and knowledge pool without paying dues and wearing a patch.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #33
schlyme
Master At Arms

schlyme is on a distinguished road

i ride with the southern cruisers. and yah food friends and help fixing your bike. i like riding with them, oh and charity events too. oh and also no dues.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:05 PM   #34
Gar
PRO NOSTRUM MUNERIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by badinfluence63 View Post
With the bigger and more popular 1%ers it seems lunacy at times. Just watch when some of them show up on the History Channel "Gangland " series. Many equate dying for their patch similar as dying for your countries flag in a war. I always figured they'd be smart to follow the mob who established a commision to mimimize the body count and the negative attention it brought. Bad for business and all that.
100% in line with that way of thinking. Negative attention is never good in our opinion. Some believe that negative attention creates fear, fear is a form of respect. The problem with that school of thought is that now there are more and more options for the government to use to shut down "what they call dangerous organizations" The patriot act is the new way of doing this. The government contends that a "dangerous organization and a terrorist organization are the same thing. "
Old 10-16-2009, 10:46 PM   #35
MikeK77
Manbear

MikeK77 is on a distinguished road

Sometimes, clubs look at you at the bike you have.....

IMO, if you ride, you ride....

no reason a Harley, and a Sportbike cant ride together.....

Bikes are about enjoying the ride and the road....

But sometimes people get out of hand once they are on that bike.....

Sport bikes want to ride far, and get there in the shortest amout of time...

The "harley" clubs ride...drink..ride...party....ride somemore.....

you get my drift......

Owning a bike puts you in that "brotherhood"...not owning a particular model/style.
MikeK77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:33 AM   #36
Weebel
Banned

Quote:
Owning a bike puts you in that "brotherhood"...not owning a particular model/style.
I have to disagree with part of that..

Just owning a bike doesn't mean anything either...

Any "brotherhood" comes from having good trustworthy friends... and sometimes they happen to ride bikes too.... the bikes really dont have anything to do with it other than its the one thing everyone had in common starting out..

Hell for most MC's its more about the people than the bikes... but of course your going to require members to own and ride a bike because your still an MC LOL

Owning a bike in and of itself doesnt mean jack and doesnt automatically make you part of anything.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #37
MikeK77
Manbear

MikeK77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebel View Post

Hell for most MC's its more about the people than the bikes
See...i have to disagree with that.....

I see pleanty of clubs that judge someone by the bike they ride....

i mean....how many clubs do you see harleys and sport bikes riding together??

Not near me....i NEVER see that.
MikeK77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #38
bjfunbear
Verified

bjfunbear is on a distinguished road

Some groups are cool and some sux.. check out these guys as they are freindly folks who like to ride..and eat.I ride with them on occasion and there is no monies involved.

meetup.com/saame-group/

add the w's up front as I am new here.
bjfunbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #39
Biker Dash
Site Brony and Troll Eater

Biker Dash has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Also, alot of MC's are on the Department of Justice watchlist. So as soon as you join them...you are on it too. Why put yourself in that situation.
Bandidos
Hells Angels
Black Pistons
Outlaws
Mongols
Pagans
Sons of Silence
Vagos
Free Souls
Highwaymen
Warlocks
You forgot to mention the Exiles and the Serrencins. Granted, they're smaller clubs, but I'd ride with them anyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic4Cylinder View Post
I find that the few meetings I've gone to of "clubs" or "riding groups" tend to be a little snobbish with regards to the specific brand of bikes (and with Ducati riders, well, you can imagine the potential for "holier than thou" type behavior).
Not all groups are like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badinfluence63 View Post
Many equate dying for their patch similar as dying for your countries flag in a war.
Man, it's not the patch they would die for, it's the Brotherhood that the patch represents. Think about it, would you die for your family name, or your family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar View Post
100% in line with that way of thinking. Negative attention is never good in our opinion. Some believe that negative attention creates fear, fear is a form of respect. The problem with that school of thought is that now there are more and more options for the government to use to shut down "what they call dangerous organizations" The patriot act is the new way of doing this. The government contends that a "dangerous organization and a terrorist organization are the same thing. "
Your right about that Gar. H3ll, the real reason they do not want these organizations is because they see these groups as those who would stand up against them if the Gov't got too oppressive...

As for myself, I do not belong to a club per say, but an organization. I belong to United Bikers of Maine. Our purpose is to be there for one another, and to stand up against the Legislature when it tries to pass legislation that negatively effects bikers. We also d a good deal of charity rides. We do not care what you ride, be it a dirt bike, an old panhead, a Docati 1198, or a scooter. If you ride (or even if you don't ride, but just wish to support riders) then you are welcome. Yes, there are membership dues, but those go towards the fight to keep the State congress-critters in line...
Biker Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:46 PM   #40
CB750F
Shantytown Mayor

CB750F is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSherpa197 View Post
nope. free food at grilling/bbq meets is the only reason to join a MC
I'd be down with that.