Can someone put a "how to" on making stock pipe loud - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Repair, Building, and Restoration > How To

How To A forum for ideas and tips on how to make it happen

Old 09-22-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Suzuki Savage
Verified

Suzuki Savage is on a distinguished road
Default Can someone put a "how to" on making stock pipe loud

I am looking to make my suzuki savage sound like it can defend it self at least. After hours and hours of researching things it seems like my options are in the hundreds for a new pipe. I have heard of ways that you can take your stock pipe and cut or remove something to make it have some attitude. Can some one give me a how to on that project. Its my first time so more detailed the better =-)

sorry if this is the wrong place for this
Suzuki Savage is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 09-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

The biggest issue with the "homemade" conversions is that the fuel mixture gets changed as you change the back pressure of the exhaust. Many a backyard mechanic has screwed up their engine by improperly messing with the fuel mixture. Care must be taken to keep everything properly balanced.

You may need to change the jets in the carburetor if you remove the baffle from the muffler. The best way to tune the engine is with a dyno, but lacking that, read the plugs for proper fuel mixture and be prepared to change the jets out until you have the proper mixture going for your engine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dodsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
Custom85VT

Stock Exhaust Modification
PDF/Adobe Acrobat
http://www.stargis.net/webslinger/Docs/NoCutGut.pdf
Old 09-29-2009, 04:36 AM   #4
chrisw

chrisw is on a distinguished road

just remember, a de-baffled muffler wont sound as nice as an exhaust made correctly. but for the cheap out there its acceptable.

or do what I've done on my cafe racer build, universal shorty slash cut mufflers, 2 for 80 bucks!
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Suzuki Savage
Verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
just remember, a de-baffled muffler wont sound as nice as an exhaust made correctly. but for the cheap out there its acceptable.

or do what I've done on my cafe racer build, universal shorty slash cut mufflers, 2 for 80 bucks!

Where did you find mufflers that cheap? i would like the slash style for my project.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:15 AM   #6
chrisw

eBay, it was cheaper than the same ones at the local bike supermarket.

i just placed them on the bike to see if they would line up correctly. perfect small size for the bike

Though I may remove the centre box as it tends to rust out on these bikes (the big brown rusty thing before the muffler) and just run them straight off the headers, since im rejetting for my intake mod already.

So in this picture once modified they should end before the rear wheel, instead of near the rear hub.

Last edited by chrisw; 09-30-2009 at 04:18 AM..
Old 09-30-2009, 04:25 AM   #7
chrisw

here you go, under $30 + postage in american ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...#ht_2310wt_840

not slash cut, but you could get a tip welded onto it.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:34 AM   #8
SuperSherpa197
The Cool Joker

SuperSherpa197 is on a distinguished road

because loud pipes make you cool. this coming from a guy with a D&D on a sportbike.......

honestly, the 'performance gain' from running even open headers or a ridiculously loud pipe isn't going to be noticeable for most of you. nor is the low end torque gain from running a ridiculously stuffed exhaust pipe........

'louder than stock' pipes do sound good. LOUD PIPES just annoy the hell out of the rest of us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SuperSherpa197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:42 AM   #9
chrisw

my one was to demonstrate what I've got planned for the suzuki to s.savage. To be honest, the bike with open headers is NOT loud at all, for this reason im assuming the rusty ole' midbox is full of baffles. either that or the hyosung with the yoshi pipe has made me desensitised to the noise.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:45 AM   #10
SuperSherpa197
The Cool Joker

dear god.....a hyosung....and a yoshi pipe? do i sense epic fail or what?????

noting personal, but i just find that hilarious. if i had a hyosung i'd run the **** out of it hahahaha mayb slap some knobbies on it and take it to the motocross track

Old 09-30-2009, 05:19 AM   #11
chrisw

Once again another complainer "oh but why, eww a hyosung etc etc etc" whats so bad about it? there are plenty of bikes between myself and the missus, and to be frank, the Hyosung sounds brilliant with the Yoshi, it suprises everyone, until they see its a Hyosung of course.

And what do I care? nil, its my daily rider and I love it. Dirt cheap, honest and is a great package for what it is. I'm actually more suprised your mocking the Hyosung when I've clearly made a more pointless effort in fitting pipes to a 250 parallel twin...
Old 09-30-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
Tdubb

Tdubb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm actually more suprised your mocking the Hyosung when I've clearly made a more pointless effort in fitting pipes to a 250 parallel twin...
LOL, good point. Just becareful not to say you went 10 MPH over the speed limit or road without your jacket, or farted in an elevator, cause then you'll get jumped all over by the SuperSafetyNazi197 too.

Tdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #13
chrisw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdubb View Post
LOL, good point. Just becareful not to say you went 10 MPH over the speed limit or road without your jacket, or farted in an elevator, cause then you'll get jumped all over by the SuperSafetyNazi197 too.

haha, unfortunately I won't be indulging him in that pleasure. The only crime I commit in that department is buying cheaper leather. I had a crash in cordura once, and will never wear it again.

Speed limits are there for a reason

and I'd only fart in the elevator since the toilet is up stairs... and im running late for work... but in that case I'd probably s**t myself as well.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
Suzuki Savage
Verified

Im looking for new pipes for the souls purpose of a noisier more aggressive sounding pipe. With all the mods that I have planned for the bike it will be looking much more bad ass then it does now and I need the sound to match.

and chris thank you very much for all your help so far.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #15
SuperSherpa197
The Cool Joker

hahahaha i thought it was hilarious. i'm just giving you hell, chrisw.

got to ride the 250 twin about a year back, it's certainly more interesting than the ninja's parallel twin.

supersafetynazi hahahahahhahahahaha