First Bike For a 16 Year Old - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > First Bike / New Rider

First Bike / New Rider This is the place where new riders can get help from community experts

View Poll Results: Who thinks I should get a bike?
Yes! 1 7.69%
No! 9 69.23%
Do what you want to do! 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #1
Bomberman
Verified

Bomberman is on a distinguished road
Smile First Bike For a 16 Year Old

Hey, my birthday is coming up soon and I am planning on buying a motorcycle. I am 16 and a first time rider. What kind of bike should i get to start off with at a good price (Under $7,000)?

Thanks
Bomberman is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
primalmu
2005 Bandit 1200S

primalmu is on a distinguished road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
primalmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Bomberman
Verified

Thanks alot. But I really want one and I HATE cars. Even if i do all of the courses, do you still think i should get one? This is what i have wanted forever, or at least as long as i can remember.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:45 PM   #4
primalmu
2005 Bandit 1200S

No. You should not get a motorcycle at 16. You need to learn the rules of the road in a relatively safe car before venturing out on a motorcycle. You by no means need to be distracted by both trying to learn how to operate a motorcycle safely AND trying to learn the rules of the road. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous enough for people who have been driving and riding for YEARS.

Trust me. I drove a car for 5 years before I learned to ride a bike. There is no substitute for wheel time in a car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
HoraceGrant
Verified

HoraceGrant is on a distinguished road

HoraceGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #6
dustbuster

dustbuster is on a distinguished road

Well, that's a little extreme....Do you live in an area that a dirt bike is an option?
Old 06-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #7
Bomberman
Verified

You have a valid point but in my opinion its dangerous no matter what you do and if someone takes the time to learn and ride safely they should get one its all about the state you put yourself into... If someone has determination and are willing to put in money and time they will be safe. I know were yous getting at. However i think it can be done. Its not like im going to cuz a 600cc bike and not take lessons im starting small and learning everything before i touch main roads.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:05 AM   #8
Bomberman
Verified

Actually i was lucky enough to get a really nice salesmen and he let me take one of there old dirt bikes for a ride i didnt like the feel of it too rugged
Old 06-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #9
Goliath616
Rough Writer

Goliath616 has a spectacular aura about

For a cruiser, find a small 250 Rebel or a V-star 250...small, easy to learn on....for a sport bike start off on a 250 (yes, I know...lately people here HATE the 250 Ninja, but I don't care...it's a great starter bike)....take the MSF course, get your gear on, practice practice practice.....find a large parking lot to practice in, stay off the main roads as much as possible for the first few weeks.

Goliath616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 AM   #10
InfiniteMiles

InfiniteMiles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomberman View Post
You have a valid point but in my opinion its dangerous no matter what you do and if someone takes the time to learn and ride safely they should get one its all about the state you put yourself into... If someone has determination and are willing to put in money and time they will be safe. I know were yous getting at. However i think it can be done. Its not like im going to cuz a 600cc bike and not take lessons im starting small and learning everything before i touch main roads.

That's true, but the fact is you have to learn how to drive as it is. You are much more likely to be in an accident during your first year of road time, than any other time.

That's fine and dandy when your surrounded by 2000 pounds of steel, held in with a seatbelt and protected by an air bag.

On a bike it's just you and yourself. If a car pulls out in front of you, or you make a bad choice and turn in front of a car you are a goner.

Get a dirt bike and barrow a car for a year or two, this way you can learn both things and when the time comes sell the bike and get a street bike.

Or you can risk it and get a bike. Best of luck to you.

Edit: I just saw your other post asking about a cbr 125, I'm guessing your some where on the other side of the pond. Get a moped and try that out for at least a few months, I understand you hate cars and truly I do as well, but you have to learn the ways of the road in a safe manner.

Last edited by InfiniteMiles; 06-26-2009 at 12:52 AM..
InfiniteMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:47 AM   #11
ARoy1
A Not-so "Senior" Member

ARoy1 is on a distinguished road

yah, i myself drove for 2 years (im now 17, just got a 500cc ninja)...and one of my friends got his when he was 14(he was a year younger than me...)

basically at a younger age, if your male, you WILL want to show off...hell i even want to do it, im not going to lie...but i know the truth(not to scare you, but) whether its your fault, or the other guys fault...you will always loose.

what they are also saying is that if your new to the road...you dont know those other drivers, and you dont have a feel for the roads you need to take...

my younger friend here, he dropped his bike more than 4 times, and it was a 250cc Suzuki i think...basically he paid almost 2 times what his bike was worth bran new...and in a 3 month period!

Now im not the best example...but you know, you can always buy a car and just sell it in a year, and still get the bike then, hopefully you have a job and will save the difference in depreciated value in the car. (i "stole" my moms car from her for a whole year)

And not to brag, but i myself learn incredibly fast...first time on a bike, even touching one, perfect riding test, 325 miles on m 500cc and still no drop. Just give it time...that bike will wait for your next birthday, it wont just ride away. (i learned on a standard car, maybe you might consider buying that type instead, so you get the feel of a clutch/gear setting)

OVERALL:
1. Drive a car-if anything just until the next riding season...(maybe you could get the bike for Christmas instead!)
2. If possible, try to get a standard car, it DOES help you(since you use your left leg during both motorcycle/car!)
3. If you have a regular bicycle, go ride it and learn what happens when you do what(when you lean instead of turn the bike, when you skid on your brakes, and my favorite, learn how to balance it while going EXTREMELY slow![as this helps you with slow maneuvering, and it tells you that you need to trust you and the bike...when you give it power, its easier to control-most people forget this and try to stop when they feel they are going down in the coarse] but dont mix up the light weight of the bicycle, with the much heavier motorcycle)
4. DON'T get anything to powerful if you decide to just ignore all of this-please just put your ego aside...dont think that were all here to turn you away from riding, far from that. ALL of us would like to see you on the road-just not...ON it

What ever you choose...drive and ride safe!
ARoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #12
Bomberman
Verified

I know its dangerous, I ahve been injured more than a normal boy should be. Broken Jaw, Broken Fib/Tib Broke my wrist grouwth plate. Hvae had 3 surgerys. Lol, nowadays when i get injured im like **** it i dont care anymore. But im in Canada i ahve to wait 2 years before i can ride a car bymyself and that sucks ass. Also if i was going to buy i car i need at least $8000 for a decent car. My friend bought a used BMW M3 1992 and payed $9000 and then gas is just too much. But with a motorcycle im putting down like $5000 with taxes (Ninja 250r). And gas is like $20 a tank. I understand its dangerous, ive heard and seen everything. Skin scrapes broken bones death in some cases. i just want to enjoy my life when im young. I dont want to be 50 years old and be riding on a suzuki hayabusa lol it doesnt look right. I still have a month and a little to decide but right now Im ready for anything.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

The dual sport bikes are good to learn on, and reasonably-priced in most cases. If you have some place to legally ride them off road, they are ideal.

I was riding dirt bikes and dual sports from about the age of 12, before that it was Briggs and Stratton-powered mini bikes. I think it's good practice to start off-road.

Last edited by Dodsfall; 06-26-2009 at 11:13 AM..
Dodsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
InfiniteMiles

Quote:
I know its dangerous, I ahve been injured more than a normal boy should be. Broken Jaw, Broken Fib/Tib Broke my wrist grouwth plate. Hvae had 3 surgerys. Lol, nowadays when i get injured im like **** it i dont care anymore. But im in Canada i ahve to wait 2 years before i can ride a car bymyself and that sucks ass. Also if i was going to buy i car i need at least $8000 for a decent car. My friend bought a used BMW M3 1992 and payed $9000 and then gas is just too much. But with a motorcycle im putting down like $5000 with taxes (Ninja 250r). And gas is like $20 a tank. I understand its dangerous, ive heard and seen everything. Skin scrapes broken bones death in some cases. i just want to enjoy my life when im young. I dont want to be 50 years old and be riding on a suzuki hayabusa lol it doesnt look right. I still have a month and a little to decide but right now Im ready for anything.
Well it should cost you much less than $5000, as your first bike should be used, and gas here in MI is only $12 a tank as I use 87, but your going to have to buy decent gear and that will cost you about $350-$1000 depending.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #15
Bomberman
Verified

I know it should be used but I am getting a good deal on a Kawasaki Ninja 250r (2008). What do you mean by buying a decent gear?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #16
Goliath616
Rough Writer

Goliath616 has a spectacular aura about

not A decent gear, decent Gear, helmet, jacket, gloves, boots.....your safety gear...get a good riding jacket with armor in it....don't skimp on the gear

Goliath616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:41 PM   #17
InfiniteMiles

$5000 with taxes is a horrible deal on an 08.

Where are you in Canada?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
gueedo70

gueedo70 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hospital bills and funerals are a lot more than $8,000
Old 06-26-2009, 02:31 PM   #19
ARoy1
A Not-so "Senior" Member

look i guess your going to get a 250 then from what your posting-but

1. your not invincible-just because us teens heal fast as hell, doesn't mean we can withstand more than an adult could

2. spend the money on the $400 set of gear!...i was just coming home now, literally just touched my exhaust pipe, and i burnt myself a bit...(i dont have boots ) and for now, dont worry about style over safety...i bought my gear 6 months before i was looking deeply into a bike...i didn't want to buy a $50 jacket that JUST looks good, so i got the best that i could find.

3. for your break in period-1st 1000 miles, just do back roads and road that wont push you to want to break past the break-in period RPM recommendations (still debatable if its really hurting your bike or not by some of the forums Ive read i guess...)

4. ...same as 3, avoid main roads, on a 250 you wont be able to hit those 45 mph speed limit-hell on my 500 im barely able to stay at the 45 and keep my RPM varied.

5. take the coarse, read the manual, and get the feel of your bike before taking off on it.

6. as many other posts have said...dont be the show off guy...because what looks dumber? the guy who is not pushing his bike, and doing stunts, or the guy who had just bought a bran new 250 '08 ninja, and dropped it?

Ride safe man-for the next upcoming month, just pay attention to who ever is driving you around and see their errors...GL

Keep in mind that i am no pro at riding, im still a beginner and learning what i can...just repeating what ive learned, and what others have told me when i was asking questions.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #20
Bomberman
Verified

I mean like 5000 with taxes and gear. Im in london ontario. But im willing to spend 500 on gear. In going to take all safety in a serious matter. and i wont be pushing my bike im not a show off idiot once i get use to everything im going to push it after like 2 years lol i dont pay hospital bills im in canada lol trust me when i get something new it wont be harmed im one of those people who take everything more serious than they should be
Old 06-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #21
Dodsfall
Administrator

Check into the cost of insurance as well. It can be very expensive in Canada, possibly as expensive as the bike.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #22
Bomberman
Verified

I have already gotten a quote onn my insurance it is about $3000 a year but im hoping i can get it a little down.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #23
Dodsfall
Administrator

Quote:
I have already gotten a quote onn my insurance it is about $3000 a year but im hoping i can get it a little down.
Yikes! I pay less than $200 a year full coverage on a 08 Harley.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #24
Bomberman
Verified

Well how old are you and how long have you been riding for? And how much was it when you first got your license?
Old 06-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #25
InfiniteMiles

Holy hell, that's more than I paid for my bike!

see if your mom or some one else will insure it. I think you can get it covered for two riders, but it still might be more money.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #26
Bomberman
Verified

What do you mean let my mom insure it? And no one else in my family rides so how can i insure it under 2 people?
Old 06-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #27
Dodsfall
Administrator

Quote:
Well how old are you and how long have you been riding for? And how much was it when you first got your license?
When I first got my license it was a lot cheaper. But that was in the late 1970's. Gas was under $1.00 a gallon then. If I remember correctly it was something like $25 a year at the time.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #28
Bomberman
Verified

you must be hella old wow thats why yours is so low
Old 06-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #29
ARoy1
A Not-so "Senior" Member

lol na man, hes prob not to old...

my insurance- 1200 a year, first bike, first time registered under any insurance, and i have below a 3.0 GPA-which will lower it if it was a 3.0++...

also, WHEN you take your riding class(MSF right?) it will lower it as well, or should at least. again its probably because your just so new to the road! :P
Old 06-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #30
67fire
Banned

67fire will become famous soon enough

Bomberman
TRIKEDRIVER

"you must be hella old wow..."

You're not going to take that are you?

No, he is EXPERIENCED! Something that you are NOT.

Buy a dirt bike and learn to ride a bike. Drive a car and learn to drive in traffic.

Eric
67fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #31
primalmu
2005 Bandit 1200S

I'm 23, and I've been riding for a year. My second bike, a 2000 Suzuki Katana, costs me $277 a year to insure, liability only, with $100,000/$300,000 coverages.

Face it. The reason your insurance is so much is because you are a high risk rider (teen riding a sport bike).

Old 06-26-2009, 09:19 PM   #32
dustbuster

dustbuster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
you must be hella old wow thats why yours is so low
Why no son...that's not a new sissy bar...that's my walker back there!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:41 PM   #33
ARoy1
A Not-so "Senior" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbuster View Post
Why no son...that's not a new sissy bar...that's my walker back there!
LOL! ahahah

and yah bomb-sport bike+new bike+higher CC+new to the road+teenager=HIGH INSURANCE...car will be high to, but usually not as high, unless you buy a sports car as well
Old 06-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #34
Schneiderman

Schneiderman will become famous soon enough

If you want to do it right, you will learn to operate a vehicle by starting in a car for a couple years before getting a bike. And, when you get your first bike, it would be in your best interest to buy used.

If you want to waste a lot of time any money, go ahead and buy a brand new bike at 16 years old with neither riding nor traffic experience. I wish you the best but expect the worst.

How do you know that you HATE cars? You don't even have one yet. For all you know, you HATE motorcycles. You're going to feel pretty foolish if you spend $8,000 to get a new bike and insure it, then find out that riding isn't what you expected and you don't want to do it.

If you absolutely MUST have it now- though you would still need an attitude adjustment- at least do yourself a favor and get a cheap, used bike. An older ninja 250 would be fine, mechanically it is near identical to the new one. If you can't even do that, if you think you need the shiny new stylish bike, I advise you not to ride at all because you don't have the right mind set about it.
Schneiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #35
Bomberman
Verified

Evertime I ride in cars i get HUGE headaches I dont know why. I just have a passion for riding. Its all i have ever wanted to do. i have road pocket bikes and the feel of the bike it jsut amazing. And what do you mean i need an attitude adjustment? And i plan on buying a used bike if i can FIND one. And how do you know i dont have the right mind set? Have you ever met me before? DO you know how determined i am? Or even who I am for you to say that i need an attitude adjustment and i need to get a right mind set. I understand were you are all coming from. You dont want me to get a bike at 16 because it is pottentially dangerous or some people are hating. I dont know. I signed up for this site to get advise on my bike or what should i do to help myself. I have made a desicsion and I am getting a bike. I dont care what anyone says or puts into my mind im blocking out all the people that say dont get it and just taking in the positve things. I know you all are concerened for my saftey and others around me.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:53 PM   #36
Schneiderman

Schneiderman will become famous soon enough

That's what I mean by an attitude adjustment. Here you are receiving advice and you decide to "block out all the people" giving it to you. We see it all the time here: people come to ask questions but they have an expectation of the answer they will get. When our answers don't meet that expectation, they get upset and ignore the answers.

None of us here are giving you advice to gain anything for ourselves... we're giving you knowledge based on our experience, and we're giving it for free. You've received responses from a wide range of riders with different levels and type of experience, but most of us are saying mostly the same thing. And I personally find it offensive when someone with no experience convinces himself that he knows better than people with lots of experience.

To be fair, in your original post you asked:
"What kind of bike should i get to start off with at a good price (Under $7,000)?"

So here is my answer to your question: a cheap, used, small "standard" such as an older ninja 250. The benefits of buying a cheap used bike are that you won't lose thousands of dollars in depreciation, insurance cost will be lower, and if you damage it or total it you will lose less money. The benefits of buying a small standard are that it will be safer to learn on, and easier to learn on, and you will in fact learn more/better/faster on a bike designed for beginners than you will on a bike designed for experts.
Schneiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:01 PM   #37
Bomberman
Verified

First of all I asked a question. I only want an anwser for that question. And why should i take in negative comments? I asked a question, its like asking what type of car is that? THen the awsner is "it taste good"? Thats whats happening here. Im thankful for the advice but I dont need people adding comments that are negative. And how did i convince myself that in know better than everyone else. I have the right to state my own opinion and if you dont like it dont read it. Im not ignoring anyone. I have read everything and tryed to take in all the positive feedback. And now to conclude evrything thank you for your reply to my original question.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #38
Dodsfall
Administrator

I think I gave a pretty solid answer to the original question. Must have missed that one.

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showp...9&postcount=13

Old 06-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #39
Bomberman
Verified

Thanks Dodsfall. At least someone sticks to the question. :P Jk
Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #40
67fire
Banned

67fire will become famous soon enough

Here is what he wants to hear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_dnWWnKCTk

I think that he is a statistic waiting to happen.

Eric
67fire is offline   Reply With Quote