Sprocket teeth.. what's better.. more, or less? - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Repair, Building, and Restoration > Building, Restoration & Modification

Building, Restoration & Modification Building a bike, restoring a classic, or making some modifications?

Old 05-10-2009, 01:58 AM   #1
SHTF Rat

SHTF Rat is on a distinguished road
Default Sprocket teeth.. what's better.. more, or less?

I think my stock sprockets are 16/39 (some sources say 16/40)

The stock chain is 530/104.

I wanted to know about changing the # of teeth.. what is better, having less teeth, or having more.

When changing the number of teeth, how do I figure out how many chain links I'll need.

Can anyone explain what less, or more teeth will do for my bike.

Thanks
SHTF Rat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #2
primalmu
2005 Bandit 1200S

primalmu is on a distinguished road

Your best bet would be to ask around some Nighthawk forums about possible sprocket changes. There is no such thing as "best" when it comes to number of teeth. Changing the number of teeth may have some benefits, but there are also some trade offs. There are always compromises. For instance, a sprocket change that may help increase acceleration will decrease top speed. A sprocket change that will decrease cruising RPMs will come at the expense of either acceleration or top speed (I can't remember which). I think you should probably just stick with the stock ratios for best overall performance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
primalmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
ArGyLe64
Verified

ArGyLe64 is on a distinguished road

Fewer teeth on your rear sprocket will decrease RPMs when at cruising speeds. I'm swapping out my '03 Honda ACE rear sprocket next week. I'm going from the stock 41T to a 38T. From my understanding I won't notice any difference in acceleration but will see a huge difference while on the highway.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Tdubb

Tdubb is on a distinguished road

What about the front sprocket guys. From what I understand when you change the front its the has an opposite reaction, and more noticeable.

This is a good topic. I would like all about the different variations, and hear from someone thats made a change.
Tdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:49 AM   #5
rexmitchell
Administrator

rexmitchell has a spectacular aura about

IT all depends on what you want, going down a number of teeth in the front and up in the rear will give you more low end torque and less top end power, and a lower top speed. Tdubb a popular mod for sportbikes is going to a 520 chain(you have a 530) and going -1 in the front +2 in the rear, it will give your bike some nasty kick off the line but you will lose a little top speed. Just the opposite happens if you go down in the back and up in the front, more top end speed and less low end torque....as for chain sizes if you go down a size the chain won't last as long but will be a little quicker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett
rexmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
BillTheCat
Fallen Riders

BillTheCat is an unknown quantity at this point

A gearing change is one of the best ways to get what you want out of your bike for the money. Now what do you want? Let me take a step back. Some schools of thought teach that you should change both sprockets + chain all at the same time due to ware patterns. With that said more teeth on the back means lower gear quicker revving low end power + less top end. Fewer teeth on the front same thing. The opposite will give you less low end off the line more top end.
What does this mean? If you want to go fast quick go 2+back or -1 Front.
If you want to cruse all day at lower RPM go -2 back or +1 in front.
If you need to set a bike up for a closed race track you want to investigate mixing these combination's.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:06 AM   #7
BillTheCat
Fallen Riders

BillTheCat is an unknown quantity at this point

You just type way to fast Rex.

Edit... Or Maybe I am just way to slow.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:01 AM   #8
rexmitchell
Administrator

rexmitchell has a spectacular aura about

LOL, I was sitting there reading that going.....I just said that! I we'll that's the young one in me!

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett
rexmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:22 AM   #9
Slim Johnson
Banned

Slim Johnson is on a distinguished road

from my understanding, rex, and bill are right. i have gone down one tooth in the front, so instead of 16/44 i have 15/44. i didnt go up in the rear because i dont want to give up the top end speed. in another fourm the recommended change for the fz1 is -1/+3. the downside to the change is that the front tire doesnt want to touch asphalt until 3rd gear.

another thing is that when you change the sprockets at all, you will have a speedometer that is inaccurate. again, on the fz, there is a -5% change in measured speed at the speedometer. this means that reflected miles, and speed are wrong on the gauges. you can buy devices, such as a speedohealer to fix the problem, or just live with it, as it isnt really a big deal until you try to sell it. (high mileage=lower resale)
Slim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote