The Bell - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Stories

Motorcycle Stories Behind every motorcycle there is a story.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
Wandering Man
Verified

Wandering Man is on a distinguished road
Question The Bell

GI Jack wrote in a different thread:

Quote:
I think this guy deserves the bell, someone once mentioned you give to the rider who's the most accident prone.
He was referencing a rider who was taking dangerous risks on his bike.

So, what is "the bell"?

WM
Wandering Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
daw840

daw840 is on a distinguished road

Well, with the group I ride in, everytime someone buys a new bike, another one of us will go buy them a bell to put on the underside. It is supposed to be for good luck, but the thing is you can't buy it for yourself.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:26 AM   #3
iamgumby
Fallen Riders

iamgumby is on a distinguished road

The folk lore is that the bell scares away the Gremlins that hide out on the road and sabotage your bike. The folk lore is in depth and makes for an entertaining read. A google search will net you several articles.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #4
j2look
If you wait, all that happens is you get older

j2look is on a distinguished road
Default Road Gremlins

Road Gremlins

There are motorcycle gremlins (AKA: Evil Road Spirits) that LOVE to ride, but they are also mischievous little devils and they cause all sorts of problems for you while you are riding. Road gremlins leave obstacles in your path- old mufflers, pieces of rubber, boxes and things like that. Some say they are responsible for that old lady in the minivan not seeing you and cutting you off in traffic. Or, you may be having trouble shifting smoothly, your battery goes dead, your turn signal suddenly refuses to work, an oil spill appears out of nowhere, etc - you get the idea. Those little gremlins look for trouble and try to steer your bike towards it. Road gremlins hope to make a biker crash so they can rejoice over their little acts of evil.

Once you get a bell on your scoot - it wards off these attacks from the little gremlins, not allowing any more to get onto your bike. If you already have some gremlins riding with you, they will get trapped in the hollow of the bell, and the constant ringing will drive them insane - causing them to lose their grip and fall to the roadway.

When you purchase a motorcycle bell and place it on your bike, it offers protection. If you receive the gremlin bell as a gift - the powerful magic of the bell is doubled. When you place it on your bike, you want it to be low to the ground, but not so low it will catch on obstacles and come off. Place it as forward as possible, so that the road gremlins will jump away when they first see you.

Motorcycles bells come in all types, small angel bells, patriotic bells, dealers specific bells, POW bells, etc. No matter if you believe in road gremlins or not, a road bell and regular preventive maintenance goes a long way to keep you feeling safe and secure.

The Progressive Insurance Company believes in road gremlins and has caught them in action in their commercial, Gremlins-Kickstand.
j2look is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
Chuck A
bikes and corvette

Chuck A is on a distinguished road

good post
Chuck A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
Schneiderman

Schneiderman will become famous soon enough

I believe the bell is given to that rider in a group of riders who has crashed most recently. I don't look forward to ever having one.
Schneiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
Wandering Man
Verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2look View Post
Road Gremlins

There are motorcycle gremlins (AKA: Evil Road Spirits) that LOVE to ride, but they are also mischievous little devils and they cause all sorts of problems for you while you are riding. Road gremlins leave obstacles in your path- old mufflers, pieces of rubber, boxes and things like that. Some say they are responsible for that old lady in the minivan not seeing you and cutting you off in traffic. Or, you may be having trouble shifting smoothly, your battery goes dead, your turn signal suddenly refuses to work, an oil spill appears out of nowhere, etc - you get the idea. Those little gremlins look for trouble and try to steer your bike towards it. Road gremlins hope to make a biker crash so they can rejoice over their little acts of evil.

Once you get a bell on your scoot - it wards off these attacks from the little gremlins, not allowing any more to get onto your bike. If you already have some gremlins riding with you, they will get trapped in the hollow of the bell, and the constant ringing will drive them insane - causing them to lose their grip and fall to the roadway.

When you purchase a motorcycle bell and place it on your bike, it offers protection. If you receive the gremlin bell as a gift - the powerful magic of the bell is doubled. When you place it on your bike, you want it to be low to the ground, but not so low it will catch on obstacles and come off. Place it as forward as possible, so that the road gremlins will jump away when they first see you.

Motorcycles bells come in all types, small angel bells, patriotic bells, dealers specific bells, POW bells, etc. No matter if you believe in road gremlins or not, a road bell and regular preventive maintenance goes a long way to keep you feeling safe and secure.

The Progressive Insurance Company believes in road gremlins and has caught them in action in their commercial, Gremlins-Kickstand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneiderman View Post
I believe the bell is given to that rider in a group of riders who has crashed most recently. I don't look forward to ever having one.
The Gremlin story is very appealing. Makes me hope for a freind to buy me a bell.

On the other hand, I'd not like to get a bell as a result of a crash.

What's that Mythbuster's quote? "I reject your reality and ...?"

Who's reality do I reject?

WM
Old 04-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
Schneiderman

Schneiderman will become famous soon enough

I think the gremlin story is a great way to sell bells...
Schneiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
j2look

Agreed great way to sell bells

Wandering Man buy a bell for your friend and when he hears the story he may buy you one back.

This may give more insight more of a friendship thing then not being a good rider.

LEGEND OF THE BELL
Many years ago, on a cold December night a crusty old biker was returning from a trip to Mexico with his saddlebags filled with toys and other assorted trinkets for the kids at a group home, near where he worked.

As he rode along that night thinking how lucky he had been in life, having a loving riding partner that understood his need to roam the highways and to his trusty old pan that hadn't let him down once in the many years they shared the road together.

Well about 40 miles north of the border, in the high desert lurked a small group of those notorious little critters known as road gremlins, you know the ones that always leave little obstacles like, one shoe, boards, pieces of old tires, and dig the dreaded pot holes for bikers to run over and crash thus giving the road gremlins a chance to rejoice over their acts of evil.

Well as the lone wolf of a biker rounded a curve that moonlit night the gremlins ambushed him, causing him to crash to the asphalt and skid for always before coming to a stop, next to one of his saddlebags that had broken free. As he lay there, unable to move, the road gremlins made their move towards him. Well this biker not being one to give up started throwing things at the gremlins as they approached him. Finally with nothing else to throw but a bell he started ringing it, in hopes to scare off the dirty little gremlins.

About a half a mile away camped in the desert, were two bikers sitting around the camp fire talking about their days ride, and the freedom of the wind blowing in their faces as they rode across this vast country. In the stillness of the night air, they heard what sounded to them like church bells ringing and upon investigating, found the old biker lying along the roadside with the gremlins about to get him. Needless to say, being part of the biker brotherhood they preceded to ward off the gremlins until the last of gremlins ran off into the night.

Being grateful to the two bikers the old road dog offered to pay them for their help, but as all true bikers do, they refused to accept any type of payment from him. Not being one to let a good deed go unnoticed, the old biker cut two pieces of leather from his saddle bags tassels and tied a bell to each one, then slowly placed them on each of the bikers motorcycles, as near to the ground as possible. The tired, old road warrior, then told the two travelers that with those bells placed on their bikes they would be protected from the road gremlins and that if ever in trouble, just ring the bell and a fellow biker will come to their aid.

So when ever you see a biker with a bell you'll know that he has been blessed with the most important thing in life -- friendship from a fellow biker.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
Wandering Man
Verified

Nice story.

I need a bell.

Oh yeah, first I need a friend who is a biker.

WM

Last edited by Wandering Man; 04-21-2009 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: Maybe I don't have any Friends because I can't spell the word!
Old 04-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #11
j2look

It says you can buy your own (sell more bells) it just doubles the strength if it is given to you.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #12
black27696
Underpaid

black27696 will become famous soon enough

I got mine from my uncle for my birthday. Very cool.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #13
iamgumby
Fallen Riders

iamgumby is on a distinguished road

I bought a friend of mine a bell. His shifter came loose during one of our rides. He did not buy me one. Cheap *******! Gremlins jumped off his bike and onto mine! Next day, I dropped my bike, broke a mirror, driving light, misc scrapes. So, if someone buys you a bell - buy 'em one back!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
daw840

daw840 is on a distinguished road

Does the bell go from bike to bike, or do you get a new one with each new bike?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:59 PM   #15
Capri142
Verified

Capri142 is on a distinguished road
Default bells

I have a bell on my bike, It has been on 3 bikes now and was given to me several years ago. I don't think about it much anymore but do check every once in awhile just to make sure it's still there. You know someone buying their first bike, buy them a bell...it can't hurt!
Capri142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #16
Vstar Villian
Verified

Vstar Villian is on a distinguished road

A buddy of mine I work with got me one a few days after I got my bike. I check on mine to see if it is still there to. I have only been riding for a year but so far so good. I am a little funny about the bell though. I refuse to wash it because I am scared it might not work as well.
Vstar Villian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #17
Archangel
Angel's Realm Where Evil Fears To Tread

Archangel is on a distinguished road

I bought 2 friends bells for christmas and no they did not grt me one so I had to ask the wife to buy me one. Problem solved.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #18
Wandering Man
Verified

3Reds read this thread. She's ordered a bell for me! I never said a word. Nice to be married to someone who reads you mind (as well as your threads).

WM
Old 04-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #19
SHTF Rat

SHTF Rat is on a distinguished road

So that's it. I was wondering what the bells were for when I saw some in a shop. Now I know. Thanks
SHTF Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #20
Gaevren

Gaevren is on a distinguished road

My bell is attached to my key. The story I heard is that the ringing of the bell makes the little demons/gremlins go about nuts so they drop off the bike rather than subject themselves to the ringing anymore (which, apparently, is where potholes come from...gremlins dropping from the bike to the ground in an attempt to get away!)
Gaevren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #21
FlyBy
Motorcycling Unplugged !!

FlyBy is on a distinguished road

That bell story is very touchy.. I don't have a friend yet who rides.. so i guess will buy a bell and will wait for a friend
Old 05-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #22
EatSomeIron

EatSomeIron is on a distinguished road

do bells work on crotch rockets too? I'm the only cruiser rider out of my friends, and I don't want to break a sacred bell law by buying a sport biker a bell.
EatSomeIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #23
Maico Shark

Maico Shark is on a distinguished road

O boy....The Brotherhood Of The Bell...LOL! An old movie about a secret society controlling the world.
Maico Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #24
Archangel
Angel's Realm Where Evil Fears To Tread

Archangel is on a distinguished road

If they work on one bike they work on all bikes
there are all kinds of bells and all kinds of bikes.
I have a bell but I rely on myself and on GOD more than some bell ringing.
Just saying
Old 05-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #25
Capri142
Verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
If they work on one bike they work on all bikes

I have a bell but I rely on myself and on GOD more than some bell ringing.
Just saying
Yah, But there is still a bell on your bike. mine as well. And I'd be a bit concerned if one day I looked and it was gone.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #26
black27696
Underpaid

black27696 will become famous soon enough

I rely on God too, but the bell I have was a gift from a fellow biker (my uncle) and it doesn't hurt. That's what I always tell people that ask "hey, it can't hurt"
Old 05-14-2009, 05:33 AM   #27
Slim Johnson
Banned

Slim Johnson is on a distinguished road

i have no bell...
Slim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #28
schlyme
Master At Arms

schlyme is on a distinguished road

here i was thinking it was like a cow bell round the guys neck to warn off other riders that valued their lives
Old 05-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #29
roadster

roadster is on a distinguished road

The bell is a good way of telling someone, a friend or a loved one that you care about them. Nice little token of appreciation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #30
ValDuffy

ValDuffy is on a distinguished road
Default Bell Protocol

Quote:
Originally Posted by daw840 View Post
Does the bell go from bike to bike, or do you get a new one with each new bike?
I've got the same question. My husband got his Harley and gave me the Shadow. I gave him a bell for the Shadow. So, does he move it to the Harley and get me a bell for the Shadow or do I get him a bell for the Harley and leave the existing bell on the Shadow?

We have friends that re-named a boat, which apparantly is very bad luck. Don't want to make a similar mistake with the grimlin bell.

Guidance in this matter is greatly appreciated!

Val
ValDuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:48 AM   #31
Capri142
Verified

Wink Bell rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValDuffy View Post
I've got the same question. My husband got his Harley and gave me the Shadow. I gave him a bell for the Shadow. So, does he move it to the Harley and get me a bell for the Shadow or do I get him a bell for the Harley and leave the existing bell on the Shadow?

We have friends that re-named a boat, which apparantly is very bad luck. Don't want to make a similar mistake with the grimlin bell.

Guidance in this matter is greatly appreciated!

Val

from the Brotherhood of the Bell rule book....The bell is purchased for the bike, not the rider.
So..............Leave it on the Shadow and buy him another for his Harley.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:06 AM   #32
ValDuffy

Will do!
Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 AM   #33
bdavison

bdavison is on a distinguished road

Its just a silly superstition. I got better things to do than play around with some fairytale.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:39 AM   #34
GI Jack
Sickle Punk

GI Jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlyme View Post
here i was thinking it was like a cow bell round the guys neck to warn off other riders that valued their lives
I believe thats how it started, but then myths take a life of their own. I think it was wino willy(not sure) of the original booze fighters that said "don't let truth get in the way of a good story", when asked if everything heard about them was true. I guess at least some bikers just love their myths.
GI Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #35
ValDuffy

Here I thought it was a tradition.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:24 AM   #36
Eye_m_no_angel
Super Moderator

Eye_m_no_angel is a jewel in the rough

If you want to be as safe as you reasonably can there's a few things you can do: (And I'm speaking in broad generalities here)

Keep your bike in top condition. Make sure the routine maintenance is done and done correctly, and neglect NOTHING.

Ride to live, so you can live to ride. Ride defensively and keep your mind on the ride. Pay attention to what you are doing and what is going on around you.

Do not drink or use other awareness altering substances when you ride. If you're going to party, (and Lord knows I love to party) then park it, LEAVE it parked, and proceed to get it on.

Never loose respect for your bike and what it can do to your life, and never get toooooo comfortable riding, or think that you know all there is to know about riding.

These, and many more, are things I hope will keep me alive and I put great faith in them. A little bell, no matter if given by a friend or whatever the bell protocol states is appropriate, will have absolutely no effect on my safety or my fate.
Eye_m_no_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #37
nogoa

nogoa is on a distinguished road

How about one of these bells,
http://www.alpenschatz.com/bells.htm

I have a bell, my buddy left it on the bike when my wife bought it for me. I also got a beer ca... I mean soda pop holder.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:20 AM   #38
Paul-Panic
Verified

Paul-Panic is on a distinguished road

This is a great thread, and its something I've never heard about before! Guess you learn something new every day, eh!
Paul-Panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:29 AM   #39
Eye_m_no_angel
Super Moderator

Eye_m_no_angel is a jewel in the rough

"Guess you learn something new every day, eh!"

If you're living and not just existing you are!

Rock on.
Eye_m_no_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #40
Fantastic4Cylinder
Verified

Fantastic4Cylinder is on a distinguished road

Wow, been riding a few years and never heard this one....maybe I oughta get out and ride with some likeminded pals more often. And now I have to hint drop my wife and friends for a bell. Should I stay off the road until I get one?
Fantastic4Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote