Quickly remove rust on chrome - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Repair, Building, and Restoration > How To

How To A forum for ideas and tips on how to make it happen

Old 04-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
slumlord
Rough Writer

slumlord will become famous soon enough
Default Quickly remove rust on chrome

I know this may sound harsh,but for light rust and even some heavier stuff,wet or dry black sandpaper works pretty well. The rust I am describing was heavy enough that it looked like half rust half chrome on the exhaust trumpets. I used some already used 400 grit and just wetsanded it. Very quick and it did not scratch the chrome. If you use new sandpaper,600 grit may be a starting point. I found this to produce a smoother surface than steel wool,because it cut the rust down flat with the chrome ,leaving no bumps like steel wool does.
Another sandpaper trick is to take brand new sandpaper and sand brand new sandpaper of the same grit to break it in a little. Sort of like turning 400 grit into 500 grit
slumlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 04-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
rexmitchell
Administrator

rexmitchell has a spectacular aura about

Also if your not into sanding, try nevrdull. It takes rust off quickly!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett
rexmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
jonkun227
Verified

jonkun227 is on a distinguished road

Use WD-40 as your wetting agent. It leaves a lightweight oil that helps prevent further rusting.
jonkun227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
BDL507
Verified

BDL507 is on a distinguished road

use very fine steel wool and and if you have big pits in chrome make an aluminum foil ball and rub on pits it will make it look good from a few feet away it will leave aluminum in the pits
BDL507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
bdavison

bdavison is on a distinguished road

Id have to ditto the aluminum foil ball...its amazing what it can do. With some coca-cola, it will outdo any chrome polish on the market.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
Roger
Verified

Roger is on a distinguished road

I've used the aluminum foil trick with a little polishing compound that I already had on hand. It worked amazingly well.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #7
Bcruisin
Verified

Bcruisin is on a distinguished road

Bar keepers friend (from grocery store)
Bcruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
WAR600A
Motorcyclist

WAR600A is on a distinguished road

SOS pads are the best, just don't let your wife catch you stealing them. Add a little water to make a fantastic lubricant and a shine that can't be beat.
WAR600A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
Easy Rider 2
Banned

Easy Rider 2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAR600 View Post
SOS pads are the best,
As ADVICE goes, sandpaper is a bad idea because it WILL scratch the surface if you are not REALLY careful.

SOS isn't really good either because the SOS brand includes some products that have pumice and will scratch worse than sandpaper.

The best and safest combination is 0000 steel wool and WD 40.......or just scraping with a wooden stick.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
WAR600A
Motorcyclist

WAR600A is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
As ADVICE goes, sandpaper is a bad idea because it WILL scratch the surface if you are not REALLY careful.

SOS isn't really good either because the SOS brand includes some products that have pumice and will scratch worse than sandpaper.

The best and safest combination is 0000 steel wool and WD 40.......or just scraping with a wooden stick.
Do you have any recourses to support that SOS has pumice in it? I have searched Googled and could find nothing. I would really like to know, since I use SOS pads quite regularly on my bikes.
WAR600A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #11
Jeffrey3001
Verified

Jeffrey3001 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie

I just got my first bike a week ago tomorrow. I live about a mile and half from the beach and was wondering if I should be coating my bike with some rust off or anything to prevent rust. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I bought my bike and there is a minor scuff on the paint. Any suggestions on this besides bringing it to the dealer.
Jeffrey3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #12
joekool4
Master At Arms

joekool4 is on a distinguished road

The only way to prevent rust near a beach is to wash it all the time and keep it in the garage. I live about 20 miles from it too. i just wash it as often as I can and have a cover for it. the previous owner lived on the water so it had pre existing rust that I'm not too worried about. I used the coke and aluminum foil on my 75 RD200's fenders. it worked to get the rust off but it didnt help the pitting.
joekool4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
NOLA chopper
Verified

NOLA chopper is on a distinguished road
Default getting the rust off

there is one option not mentioned here. remove the rust by whatever means you can. do not use any oil. after the rust is removed, there will be pitted areas. send the part to be media blasted on the pitted areas(not sand blasted!), then have the part powder coated with clear powdercoat. No more rust problems. some powder coaters will properly clean the part and lightly polish it before coating it. if they won't, they will tell you how to do it. I have polished aluminum parts to mirror bright and had them powder coated and they will never corrode again. Once on, the powder coat will not come off,(if properly cleaned are the parts). short of using a grinding wheel, the coating is very scratch resistant. I live in southern louisiana, and the humidity here will make your yard-dog get a coat of rust, but don't send him to the powdercoaters!
NOLA chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
NOLA chopper
Verified

NOLA chopper is on a distinguished road

Ps. wd forty is Not an oil. It is a wood pulp by product and will promote rust, but is great if you have arthritic hands. My grandpa used it on his rheumatiz with amazing results.
NOLA chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #15
BoxerBamR100
Road Captain

BoxerBamR100 is on a distinguished road
Default Scotch Brite

Red and Green Scotch Brite --- Green pads available at your local grocer

--Quickly remove rust on chrome--

Last edited by BoxerBamR100; 10-17-2012 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: spelling error
BoxerBamR100 is offline   Reply With Quote