How old is too old for a used bike? - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > First Bike / New Rider

First Bike / New Rider This is the place where new riders can get help from community experts

Old 03-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #1

hy_tek is on a distinguished road
Default How old is too old for a used bike?

I will soon be in the market for a used bike after the MSF class I hope. In the meantime I have been looking at used bikes on ebay and Craigslist. One thing that pops out at me is there are a lot of really old decent looking bikes out there. My question is do you know when a bike is over the hill mechanically?

One thing it seems to the untrained eye is everyone who sells a bike thinks they have a one of a kind gem. They usually price it accordingly.

Any tips for us noobs looking for a cheap first ride so as not to get snookered. A cheap bike is no deal if it spends most of its time in the shop.

There are a ton of early 90's vintage bikes on sale at Craigslist. Are these even worth taking a look at? Just seems to me a 15+ year old bike is a problem waiting to happen. Even if the engine is good hoses and rubber parts just deteriorate from age alone like a car.
hy_tek is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-23-2009, 11:20 AM   #2

bmjwright is on a distinguished road

They never get too old. It's all about how well the maintenance is kept up with. I'd rather have a 1970's model bike that had been taken care of than a 5 year old bike that was neglected.
bmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Riding For Relaxation

LethalThreat is on a distinguished road

It also has a lot to do with how mechanically inclined and willing you are to tinker with the bike. I found a rare bike that needed some tlc, even though the seller claimed it was in good riding condition. I was willing to spend up to $1500 cash on a used bike, so when I got the deal for $700 I was very happy.

After doing some tuning and repairs on the bike, I had spent an additional $400. Since I was able to do all my own work on it, and enjoyed doing it, I was able to stay below my $1500 budget.

By the way, my bike is now 27 years old and has no problem going for 100+ mile rides any day I feel like riding. In fact, once it warms up some more my round trip commute will be 130 miles.
1982 Honda CB750SC Nighthawk
LethalThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Rough Writer

cbdallas will become famous soon enough

One should try to avoid setting mental limits concerning age and concentrate entirely on the mechanical condition of a bike. Mine is 13 years old but you could never look at it or ride it and tell its age. But I've seen some pretty sad looking / sounding bikes that are newer than mine.

I guess if there was one thing I'd avoid, it's a bike that's old enough to have a points ignition system. I can deal with them, but I don't like to.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote