Bald Knob Cross blessing of the bikes... - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Events > Midwestern USA

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 04:48 AM   #1
chaindad
Knees 2 the breeze!

chaindad is on a distinguished road
Default Bald Knob Cross blessing of the bikes...

I would like to invite all my brothers & sisters of the MCF to join me...

April 26th, 2009
Bald Knob Cross/ Alto Pass, Illinois
17th annual Blessing of the Bikes sponsored by The Lord's Paheece (servants) chapter of the CMA.

This incredible event continues to grow bigger & bigger each year! Last year THOUSANDS of bikers made their way up the winding steep road to the base of the Bald Knob Cross for prayer with fellow bikers for a safe riding season. Bald Knob Cross is one of the many jewels of Southern Illinois....tucked back in the hills & hollers of the Illinois Ozarks. 111 feet high & made of porcelain tile...this cross is visable for miles & miles & miles....a truely special, spiritual place....

The Lord's Paheece Chapter with the help of many other CMA chapters serves chili & stew to everyone.

Before I share my testimony about Bald Knob....I'll show you some pix.....NOT mine....air cooled riders BEWARE....if you are not here early.....the road is STEEP.....the line will be LONG & SLOW.....overheating WILL be an issue for many attending....

Bald Knob Cross is a very special place to me....been there many times with family & friends....it was at one time a beautiful cross! Unfortunately several years ago....somehow....a weird church came into ownership of it.....let it fall DEEP into the state of disrepair & at the present time it still looks really rough....last year my bro-in-law & I rode down on my vacation & I almost cried when I saw it...several tiles had been lost....the once beautiful cross had been tarnished in a BIG way.....but FINALLY the public has ownership of it again....people who truely care for it are on the board to get it repaired & while it will take several years to get this done....it IS getting done!
Last year my bro-in-law & sister both tried to get me to go to the BOTB @ Bald Knob with them....but as I am Sunday School Superintendent in my church....I said NO WAY I could take off.....this year....I'm blessed with teachers who can take my place & I plan to go....weather permitting....my Road Riders for Jesus Chapter is riding down but I plan to ride down earlier with...brothers-in-laws & sis....it will be a blessing for me to pray with family who ride....

GOD IS GOOD! Come & give your guardian angel a jump start....I'd LOVE to see some MCF members there....if you're going....post up! I'd stay ALL DAY if I had to!

God bless & ride safe!

Last edited by chaindad; 03-14-2009 at 04:50 AM..

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-14-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
skooter Bum

skooter Bum is on a distinguished road

Chaindad,...I saw a cross like that when I was bringing my youngest daughter home from Arizona. I think we were on highway 40 heading east. I may have the highway wrong, it's been a few years. I don't know if it was in Illinois or not, but it looked like the one in your picture.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
Archangel
Angel's Realm Where Evil Fears To Tread

Archangel is on a distinguished road

sounds cool but it would be like

260 mi – about 4 hours 32 mins
for me and I for one don't want to ride that far by my self not at my level of riding and I am still using a permit so maybe next year.
the most I have ridden in one day was 110 and 260 one way and 260 back home well not at this time.
thanks for asking though.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
Grobe
Verified

Grobe is on a distinguished road

I'm less than an hour from there & have relatives that live in Alto Pass. Is it mostly a Harley thing?
Old 03-21-2009, 02:04 AM   #5
chaindad
Knees 2 the breeze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooter Bum View Post
Chaindad,...I saw a cross like that when I was bringing my youngest daughter home from Arizona. I think we were on highway 40 heading east. I may have the highway wrong, it's been a few years. I don't know if it was in Illinois or not, but it looked like the one in your picture.

I dunno Scoot....the only highway you can really view it from is 127 which runs north & south....even from 127 you can only see it in a very limited area....I suppose it might be possible to catch a glimpse from 51 (north/south route also)....but I doubt it. If you went up I57 I bet you saw a giant cross in Effingham....the largest in the western hemisphere....there's a blessing of the bikes there in May & I'll post about it as the time gets nearer...
Old 03-21-2009, 02:09 AM   #6
chaindad
Knees 2 the breeze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobe View Post
I'm less than an hour from there & have relatives that live in Alto Pass. Is it mostly a Harley thing?

Hey Grobe! No doubt there will be tons of Harley's there but it's not a HOG event....its sponsored by the CMA & I'll be there on my Honda! The people I'm riding down with have Harley's, a Triumph, a Victory & a couple of Hondas....2 of them crotch rockets....I'm about an hour from there too...I'm east/northeast from Bald Knob. Alto Pass is such a cool place....I love hittin' the Root Beer Saloon! Holler if you're goin'....I'd love to meet some MCF peeps & share a prayer with em!
God bless & ride safe!
Daddio
Old 03-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
skooter Bum

I know we were heading east out of Texas (I think it was Amarillo) panhandle. Highway 40 goes right through the panhandle. Cause I think we stayed on 40 until we came to highway 70 somewhere close to St. Louis and cut across Illinois and Indiana. Up the middle of Indiana to Michigan hung a right and headed home.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
chaindad
Knees 2 the breeze!

Bald Knob is quite a bit south of St Loouie Scoot...

Hopefully we'll have some good weather!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
skooter Bum

Have a good safe run!
Old 03-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
Archangel

110 miles is the longest run for me so far, and I still need to have a few more longer rides before I try one 4 hours a way so please say a prayer for me & my bike chaindad and thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
daddymikey1975

daddymikey1975 is on a distinguished road

man.. I'd LOVE to go but it's like 300 miles and about 5 hours (according to mapquest)and for me that's a bit far on a bike LOL... i still need some more seat time. so y'all say a prayer for me too...
Old 03-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
chaindad
Knees 2 the breeze!

That's cool brother & prayers WILL be lifted for ya....do a MapQuest to the Effingham Cross....there will be a bike blessing there the first Saturday in May...I'll post on it soon....called the Son Rise ride. Our RR4J chapter will be there....the Effingham cross is a truely special place! Should be a LOT closer to ya!
Just prayin'...
Old 03-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
Archangel

that is better 162 miles for me I might try that one if my class is not on that weekend.
And if some of you might show up.
I don't want to go and be there to be by my self.
looks like hwy 150 to 50 to 45 might not be to much traffic.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
daddymikey1975

daddymikey1975 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaindad View Post
That's cool brother & prayers WILL be lifted for ya....do a MapQuest to the Effingham Cross....there will be a bike blessing there the first Saturday in May...I'll post on it soon....called the Son Rise ride. Our RR4J chapter will be there....the Effingham cross is a truely special place! Should be a LOT closer to ya!
Just prayin'...
I checked it out.. about 2 and a half hours away.. not too terribly bad.. I'm gonna see if my wife wants to ride along. and I have a buddy with a sportbike that i'll ask as well..

that one might be do-able.

how do these work normally.. just ride down, hang out for the day, and ride back home?? cookout ?? i've never been to an event like this haha...

keep the shiny side up
Old 03-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #15
Archangel

Ya also do they have a cost ? and do they go for a long ride after you get there or just spend the day?

I found out about a 100mile ride very near me for some kind of benefit I may go to in April we will just have to see what happens.

chaindad what is a RR4J chapter ? Religious riders for Jesus?

Last edited by Archangel; 03-29-2009 at 06:03 PM..
Old 03-31-2009, 07:53 PM   #16
chaindad
Knees 2 the breeze!

Hey guys sorry I haven't answered your questions in a more timely manner...been way busy....I haven't been to the SonRise event yet....& I'll post alot more on it soon....but I think people just show up for prayer & then go their seperate ways. If anyone from the forum is coming I'll stay ALL day if needed....I plan on staying quite awhile & taking pix....IF you make it AA....I could ride back with you at least to Vincennes! RR4J is Road Riders for Jesus....one of the fastest growing Motorcycle Ministries in the United States
Old 03-31-2009, 10:32 PM   #17
Archangel

I found a event calendar it was listed as
Apr 4th, 2009 Legacy Harley-Davidson Blessing of the Bikes Effingham IL USA sounds like a Harley event.

I am not sure if I will get to go or not my son's band is playing that sat in the evening If I did go I would have to be back the same day in time to make his GIG and don't know how that would work Chaindad I will let you know by this fri If I am Going or not .

there is a event near my house a 100 mile ride here is the poster for it if any one is interested I plan on going on this ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CMA Run For The Son_2009.jpg (49.6 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Archangel; 03-31-2009 at 10:36 PM..
Old 04-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #18
Archangel

I am up for the ride I just got back W State Road 62 and 37 below and that was only 21 miles a way from Tell City, IN.
Man was the view great from levenworth I took a few pics and will post them some time soon State Road 62 is a nice ride there were lots of bikers on the road more of us that the cages.
Only problem is my hand got tired from all the waving.

round trip 126 miles total with lots of curves and hills.

My neck was tired from all the wind on my helmet I started out on I64 but got tired of all the 70 mph travel Kinda cold so I got off at a exit and found State Road W 62 It was a much nicer ride than the express way.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...0.154495&z=13>

Last edited by Archangel; 04-04-2009 at 04:17 PM..
Closed Thread