NO Motorcycle Permit In Tn So ticked - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > First Bike / New Rider

First Bike / New Rider This is the place where new riders can get help from community experts

Old 02-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
NightHawk82
Verified

NightHawk82 is on a distinguished road
Angry NO Motorcycle Permit In Tn So ticked

Ok so here is the scoop.... I spent 4 hour at the dmv just figure out there is no permit in TN..... I took the knowledge test and passed no problem.. I will admit I have rode the bike on the road with no problems, but to get the lic you have to take a skills test.... now me I can pass this with no issues but what if your new to biking how do they expect you to learn... 300 bucks for the MSF course is steep in these though times..... also how do they expect you to get your bike to the testing site without riding it there? Just my two cents..... anyone else have ideas?
NightHawk82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #2
SteveM

SteveM will become famous soon enough

Have a licensed buddy ride your bike to the DMV while you follow in your car. Take the skills test and you should be good to go.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
bigal
Verified

bigal is on a distinguished road

i say invest $300 in the class because you may learn a thing or two about safety that could save you thousands in medical bills later after all they do teach more than just riding there!
bigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
Dar

Dar is on a distinguished road

I agree with the MSF course option, its great and you get a 10% discount on your insurance.
Dar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
DavidBlack
Verified

DavidBlack is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the MSF teaches you how to ride but also how to avoid gettin into any accidents, so it's definitely worth it. I don't know about where you're at, but here there's quite a few places to go for an MSF course. Maybe there's a place in your area that's cheaper.

If not, try goin where cops aren't to practice (ie the parking lot of some church outside of town). but I highly suggest the MSF.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
SimonTuffGuy
i like to thump...

SimonTuffGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
I agree with the MSF course option, its great and you get a 10% discount on your insurance.
I didn't get 10% off mine with the passing of my MSF class. I got $12 off.

FWIW - The MSF class is a great. You'll learn a lot, you get supervised practice... And, I don't know about TN... But in PA, when I passed the MSF, I got my license automatically!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
internationalballer

internationalballer is on a distinguished road

300 bucks is pretty steep, I took it here in Iowa for $120 not to mention they supply the bike for the class, its done by ABATE. I think I was on a sweet 150cc Kawasaki intimidator (for other people I'm sure it was worth the $120 just to see all 6'4" 280lbs of me on such a little bike) Any way after taking the course they don't make you take the riding test, just the written test. What's up with no permit though.

I don't know if ABATE is in TN though but either way the MSF course is well worth doing, hell pretend its a fee the state charges for you to ride through the awesome twisted roads that curve up and down the mountains there. Nothing better than draggin floor board through some twisty's
internationalballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
Wayward_Traveller
Idaho STAR Instructor

Wayward_Traveller is on a distinguished road

Have to agree with everyone else.
As a state instructor and as a rider I will say that you will benefit from taking the class.
In Washington State alone we are already at 5 deaths this year, yes 2009.
Every little bit of training you can get will help.
I have used to so many of my skills on a regular basis, but it's amazing how many times I have had to utilize the quick stop.
I just wish I knew it 20 years ago when I slammed into that truck, if I did I wouldn't have locked up the brakes and totaled my bike.
Wayward_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
afmajernik
SSGT USAF

afmajernik is on a distinguished road

I agree with everyone else. I have gone to both the beginners and Advanced rider courses. When i went to the beginners course i had been riding dirt bikes for 12 years and had rode a sports bike for 2 before joining the military. The military required me to go but afterwards i was glad i did you can always learn more
afmajernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
Oil Doc

Oil Doc is on a distinguished road

I am a TN resident.. I also recommend the Safety Course... $300 is cheap and they not only supply the bikes but when you complete the course, all you have to do is walk into the DMV with your certificate and get your pic taken for the new License. No Additional riding or anything.

As far as an Insurance Discount.. It depends on the Insurance Company. My Ex G/F got 10% off.

I got the discount for riding so many years.

Doc
Oil Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
OperatorX
Verified

OperatorX is on a distinguished road

I feel bad. In PA the course is free. All I had to do was show up and learn. They provided everything except gloves. Once you passed the knowledge and skills test, you received your license on the spot. The DMV sent the official copy about 30 days later. Couldn't be any more easier.
OperatorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:53 AM   #12
roflol
Warning: Mood change in 3... 2... 1...

roflol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperatorX View Post
I feel bad. In PA the course is free. All I had to do was show up and learn. They provided everything except gloves. Once you passed the knowledge and skills test, you received your license on the spot. The DMV sent the official copy about 30 days later. Couldn't be any more easier.
lol, don't feel bad. You live in Pennsylvania. The free course must be some kind of payback. ;]

*I am just kidding.* My mom's whole family is in Pittsburgh and suburbs, and we visited every year for the longest time. They still laugh at us for being rednecks, and we laugh at them for talking funny.

Back on topic, sounds like TN has the same deal we do - pay for the MSF BRC but if you pass you don't have to take the DMV skills test... if you think you need a permit to start with, you would probably benefit immensely from the BRC, and not having to take the DMV's skills test is just icing on the cake.

MSF BRC course instructors vary so try to talk to people who have taken the course from the place you're considering to see what to expect. I had a great experience personally - the instructors worked hard to make the outcome successful - and I plan to the experienced rider course on my own bike some day. But it was great learning on that Honda Rebel. :]
roflol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:02 AM   #13
Oil Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflol View Post
lol, don't feel bad. You live in Pennsylvania. The free course must be some kind of payback. ;]

*I am just kidding.* My mom's whole family is in Pittsburgh and suburbs, and we visited every year for the longest time. They still laugh at us for being rednecks, and we laugh at them for talking funny.

Back on topic, sounds like TN has the same deal we do - pay for the MSF BRC but if you pass you don't have to take the DMV skills test... if you think you need a permit to start with, you would probably benefit immensely from the BRC, and not having to take the DMV's skills test is just icing on the cake.

MSF BRC course instructors vary so try to talk to people who have taken the course from the place you're considering to see what to expect. I had a great experience personally - the instructors worked hard to make the outcome successful - and I plan to the experienced rider course on my own bike some day. But it was great learning on that Honda Rebel. :]
Here is something for you.... I have had my MotorCycle license for about 26 years and drove at least 10 without it...I have never had to re-test.

I know many will not like this idea but think about all the M/C and other MV accidents... I think Everyone, MotorCycle, Car, Truck should have to do just like an Pilot, Re-Certified every 2 years and after age 65, Every Year..... Driving IS NOT a Right, it IS a Privilege.

OK.. let the Fireballs Fly.... But you know I am right.

Doc
Old 03-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
roflol
Warning: Mood change in 3... 2... 1...

roflol is on a distinguished road

lol, no fireballs from me, Oil Doc... I believe you are right as well. I'm not sure why it isn't so, either. Not enough testing facilities/personnel? The DMV here seems awfully overworked as it is some days.
roflol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #15
Badlands-4-2
Super Moderator

Badlands-4-2 has a spectacular aura about

In ND the MSF course is $50.00, but I would've paid $300 for all the information you get from it. Take the course, it will be money well spent.
Badlands-4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #16
Oil Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflol View Post
lol, no fireballs from me, Oil Doc... I believe you are right as well. I'm not sure why it isn't so, either. Not enough testing facilities/personnel? The DMV here seems awfully overworked as it is some days.
Just another reason to take it out of the Governments incapable hands and turn it over to the Private Sector.

Talk about Stimulating the Economy... Creating Jobs for people and putting money in the Govt's (our) pockets..

$300.00 for a weekend course from a Private Party, $20.00 of which goes to the state for some Gov Employee to take your pic...