Suzuki LS 650: Enough HP for mountain roads? - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > First Bike / New Rider

First Bike / New Rider This is the place where new riders can get help from community experts

Old 12-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Trail70luvr
Groovy

Trail70luvr is on a distinguished road
Default Suzuki LS 650: Enough HP for mountain roads?

Hello gentle readers: I've been invited on a two-day ride around the mountains of North Carolina, Tenn. and Georgia.

Do you suppose a 650cc thumper like a Suzuki LS 650 or a Kawasaki KLH 650 will handle the mountains?

Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Trail70luvr
Trail70luvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 12-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
gueedo70

gueedo70 is on a distinguished road

For a 650, I dont see why it would have any problems. Even though I wont be able to test this til summer but everyone says my 250 Ninja will have no problems going up steep grades.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

I think either will do the job just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dodsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Trail70luvr
Groovy

So I bought this bike. By my estimation there is PLENTY of low end to pull around the mountain roads. Puh-lenty.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
96Intruder800
Verified

96Intruder800 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Enjoy the Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail70luvr View Post
Hello gentle readers: I've been invited on a two-day ride around the mountains of North Carolina, Tenn. and Georgia.
Do you suppose a 650cc thumper like a Suzuki LS 650 or a Kawasaki KLH 650 will handle the mountains?
Trail70luvr
--------------------------
I ride a Suzuki Intruder VS800 and have taken it through the mountains of NJ/NY/PA/WV/VA/NC and have never had a hint of an issue. I'm sure you will enjoy the benefits of the 650. Sleek, streamlined, simple and beautiful, yet still powerful enough for mere mortals who donít choose to ride the 1600 class machines. The horsepower may be a little lower than some might like and the small gas tank is a problem for all Suzuki bikes (650-700-750-800-1400) alike.

I'm taking my VS800 cross-country, the long way around - all three coasts - through the mid-west, and then into Canada & Alaska. I'll be on the road for 4 months - May through August 2009.

Iíve ridden terrain like where youíre goin and you'll love the ride characteristics of your bike in the mountains, except maybe the seat and gas tank. If youíre goin for two LONG days, stop often in addition to fill-ups (see the sites) - get a Gel Pack 1st.

Enjoy the open road.
96Intruder800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
manfred
Motorcyclist

manfred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail70luvr View Post

Trail70luvr
Absolutely sufficient.
manfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
wawadave

yes they will work just fine and with a load on or passenger!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
skooter Bum

skooter Bum is on a distinguished road

I've heard those are pretty good bikes. They never break and from what I know about them,....you shouldn't have any problems. Have a safe trip.
skooter Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
Jay550
Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a bike

Jay550 is on a distinguished road

If you have problems, just use a lower gear.
Jay550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Trail70luvr
Groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Intruder800 View Post
--------------------------
I ride a Suzuki Intruder VS800 and have taken it through the mountains of NJ/NY/PA/WV/VA/NC and have never had a hint of an issue. I'm sure you will enjoy the benefits of the 650. Sleek, streamlined, simple and beautiful, yet still powerful enough for mere mortals who donít choose to ride the 1600 class machines. The horsepower may be a little lower than some might like and the small gas tank is a problem for all Suzuki bikes (650-700-750-800-1400) alike.

I'm taking my VS800 cross-country, the long way around - all three coasts - through the mid-west, and then into Canada & Alaska. I'll be on the road for 4 months - May through August 2009.

Iíve ridden terrain like where youíre goin and you'll love the ride characteristics of your bike in the mountains, except maybe the seat and gas tank. If youíre goin for two LONG days, stop often in addition to fill-ups (see the sites) - get a Gel Pack 1st.

Enjoy the open road.
Hi All: Thanks a million for all the advice. I did indeed pick up a 2000 SUZUKI ls 650 for a grand. It seems to run great and after a nice bath and a little Mother's Billet Polish she actually looks OK, too. For grins I took her down to the coast and she banged along 65 MPH no problem.

The tank is TOO SMALL. The seat is a taint torturer. The HARLEY guys laughed at it. But in a sea of Heritage Softails this little gem stands out.

Plus I have a soft spot for thumpers. I may have been a lawnmower in a previous life.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
sanrico

sanrico is on a distinguished road

Harley guys laughing at another bike? The hell you say!
sanrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #12
wawadave

or two or three lawn mowers!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #13
SimonTuffGuy
i like to thump...

SimonTuffGuy is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the purchase! I own an S40, which is the Savage renamed... The little bike is a blast to ride and easy to work on.

I had a Harley guy ask me at the pump where I found my bike... I told hi what it was, and what the bike cost new and he was amazed... A bike as stunning as this for under $4,500?! Amazing.

You got a steal on your bike!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #14
Trail70luvr
Groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTuffGuy View Post
Congrats on the purchase! I own an S40, which is the Savage renamed... The little bike is a blast to ride and easy to work on.

I had a Harley guy ask me at the pump where I found my bike... I told hi what it was, and what the bike cost new and he was amazed... A bike as stunning as this for under $4,500?! Amazing.

You got a steal on your bike!
I DID get a steal. And since I bought it I have changed out the fender struts with S-40-style struts. I never liked the sissy bar. I also engineered some 1 1/4" tall springy seat mount gizmo's to raise the front of the seat a bit.
It's much more comfortable now.

I'm hunting for a bargain on S-40 bars and risers. If you see (or change yours!) any hit me up.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #15
SimonTuffGuy
i like to thump...

Yeah, I've heard that the seat isn't too comfortable. Maybe it's just because I'm a smaller rider (5'6" at 135 lbs), but I think the seat is just fine, even on 100+ mile trips.

Check your PM's.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #16
ryuko
Motorcyclist

ryuko is on a distinguished road

Just got an S40 in November (my first bike). It is an '06, and used, so maybe the previous owner had changed the seat; mine's incredibly comfortable.

I have no problems riding the hills in HI, and from what I remember (I used to live in GA) the Appalachians are similar. Never had any problems around here; it actually runs smoother up and down the hills than my V6 SUV.

The gas tank is absolutely a problem, though. It's what, 10 liters, I think? Going through those hills, you'll probably wont get more than 40mpg on average. Perhaps you could fit a couple gallon-sized gas cans in some saddle bags?
ryuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #17
SimonTuffGuy
i like to thump...

The limited gas tank capacity is the only problem that I've had too... I believe it's 2.7 gallons total. For me, when I hit 100 miles I try looking for a gas station.

You could always swap on a new tank if need be.

I was seeing 55-60 mpg on mine last year.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #18
Trail70luvr
Groovy

Savage Update!!! Update!!! Update!!!! GAAAH!

Okay, so I really liked my LS 650 Savage but it was just a little bit too "Wild Hawgs" for my taste. So, I sold the LS 650 ($300 profit, tyvm) and bought a Kawasaki KLR 650. 2004 Model with 3200 miles. I paid 1900. It has issues with the plastic.

But I'm stoked about adventure cycling and welcome any comments or suggestions.