Winter and outdoor storage - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 12-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
SHTF Rat

SHTF Rat is on a distinguished road
Default Winter and outdoor storage

I don't have a garage, and at the moment can not afford to buy a shed or a closed trailer, so my bike has to remain outside for the winter. I just bought a cover, but what else should I be doing to protect my bike.. I don't want the cold, rain and snow to ruin it.

Should I soak the whole bike in WD40, wax or something?
SHTF Rat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 12-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

Making sure the bike stays dry is the number one issue you will have to deal with. Snow piling up around the bike will not be good for it.

Have you checked into bike storage at the dealership? There are some that will store your bike for the winter at a reasonable rate or free if you buy enough in service or parts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dodsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
Gaevren

Gaevren is on a distinguished road

That's interesting, Dodsfall, I wouldn't have even thought of that! We were trying to figure out what to do with our bikes if we moved into an apartment or some other place without covered parking, but of course we ended up finding a place with a garage so it's a moot point for us now
Gaevren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
SHTF Rat

SHTF Rat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodsfall View Post
Making sure the bike stays dry is the number one issue you will have to deal with. Snow piling up around the bike will not be good for it.

Have you checked into bike storage at the dealership? There are some that will store your bike for the winter at a reasonable rate or free if you buy enough in service or parts.
I have been, but storgage is expensive around here.. not to mention the fact that I can't ride it yet due to lack of registration, license for it, nor a truck to put it on... I'm going to see if any neighbors have spare space somewhere
SHTF Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
briang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodsfall View Post

My local dealer does that, they will even wash and wax it, change the oil, do a safety check and give you the battery tender it was on for only $250. I may they them store mine when they finish fixing it.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
pdksh
Master At Arms

pdksh is on a distinguished road

I had considered renting a storage unit, but have a buddy who just bought a house with a garage. So, I store it there.

That does sound like a great idea with the dealership. I might've looked into that if I didn't have this garage deal worked out
Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
aaronrkelly
Rough Writer

aaronrkelly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHTF Rat View Post
I have been, but storgage is expensive around here.. not to mention the fact that I can't ride it yet due to lack of registration, license for it, nor a truck to put it on... I'm going to see if any neighbors have spare space somewhere
Thats what I would do.....I have a 4+ car garage and only 1 car to put in it.....plenty of room for my 6 bikes, 2 4 wheelers and go kart.....I would gladly put a neighbors bike or atv in my garage.
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #8
rldguy

rldguy is on a distinguished road

I came across the CycleShell in this month's RoadBike magazine and remembered this thread. They are a kind of pricey, but a good alternative for outdoor storage.

You can see them here http://www.cycleshell.com/
rldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
59caddy
Master At Arms

59caddy is on a distinguished road

dont know if this is practical for your situation, but if it were me i would probably build a box out of wood for it.
wherever you are gonna store it and cover it (if outside) build up some plywood around it to keep snow and stuff off of it.

im lucky enough to be in so cal and still ride mine everyday!!!