BAJA 70 from Pep Boys - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > First Bike / New Rider > Buying First Motorcycle Soon

Old 11-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
redbike
Verified

redbike is on a distinguished road
Question BAJA 70 from Pep Boys

I am buying my son his first dirt bike soon. I see that a new Honda CRF70 goes for $1600 or so once you add in the dealer prep fee. I've also seen the ads for a Baja 70 (at Pep Boys autoparts stores) for around $500. I would like advice on which to purchase. I've never owned a dirt bike nor do I know how to repair them should I have mechanical problems. I am inclined to roll the dice an buy the less expensive Baja...but the old adage, "you get what you pay for" is making my decision difficult.

If anyone has personal, first hand experience or knows others who have owned a Baja.......I would surely appreciate your advice. Thanks
redbike is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
NAKEDandALONE
Verified

NAKEDandALONE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbike View Post
I am buying my son his first dirt bike soon. I see that a new Honda CRF70 goes for $1600 or so once you add in the dealer prep fee. I've also seen the ads for a Baja 70 (at Pep Boys autoparts stores) for around $500. I would like advice on which to purchase. I've never owned a dirt bike nor do I know how to repair them should I have mechanical problems. I am inclined to roll the dice an buy the less expensive Baja...but the old adage, "you get what you pay for" is making my decision difficult.

If anyone has personal, first hand experience or knows others who have owned a Baja.......I would surely appreciate your advice. Thanks
Firstly - you must realize that you're dealing with *Pep Boys* here. I have never had them do anything correctly for me; I even worked for them as a service writer for a time. Speaking from experience, I would not trust anything that had ANY moving parts from a Pep Boys.

Secondly - Pep Boys does not offer any type of service contract or warranty coverage for BAJA bikes. Their mechanics are not motorcycle mechanics; they're not even real mechanics in most cases. Most stores only actually have one ASE Certified mech on staff...the rest are just installers or do whatever the ASE guy tells them to do.

Thirdly - You hit the nail on the head. You DO get what you pay for. The Honda will outlast and outperform the Baja. You also get support from a major motor company with dealership service centers. With the Baja you've got to send it back to them if you've got issues...I don't think they have any shops that they deal with. Only Pep Boys sells them and they will tell you themselves that you're SOL if you've got an issue.

But hey...if you think the kid will lose interest soon anyway, or that he'll outgrow it (physically, not meaning that he'll increase in skill enough) then maybe it's not so bad. Just don't expect anything more than a cheap ass piece of machinery made with second rate materials and assembled by completely untrained Pep Boys employees. Unless you get the model in a box, in which case you assemble it. You already said you're not handy.

Just pony up for the Honda. You'll be damn glad that you did down the line.

NAKEDandALONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
redbike
Verified

Default Baja 70 from Pep Boys

Thanks for the advice...I am definitely leaning towards the Honda.....just hoping to get some more opinions. Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
briang

I agree 110% with NAKEDandALONE. I don't even bother to go in Pepboys anymore.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
aaronrkelly
Rough Writer

aaronrkelly will become famous soon enough

OK....I just recently went thru this.

Ive got several chinese cheapo ATVs in my garage, as well as go karts. All of them have served me well, so I considered a cheapy chinese dirt bike. Prices were around $500 to $600 or so.

Then I compared the build quality to the name brands....big difference.

In the end I went used big name over new cheapy chinese bike.

I snagged a MINT 2004 Suzuki JR50 from Craigslist for $600....basically what a cheapy chinese bike would have cost....but got alot more for my money.

He really likes it....runs great, starts easily even in the 30 degree weather we have here now....rides it all the time.

Go used big name....plenty good bikes out there that have been grown out of.....no reason to lose a bunch of money on a new one.

My $600 JR50

aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
thamil
Verified

thamil is on a distinguished road

i think it's like comparing buying skis from Wal-mart to buying good quality skis from Dick's Sporting Goods

You'll pay more, but the Pep Boys model is very unreliable and like "naked and alone" said, pep boys hires barely english speaking, lazy azz people that know less than i do.... and i'm stupid when it comes to auto and motorcycles..lol
thamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
moriarty
Verified

moriarty is on a distinguished road

if you are near sacramento, let me know and i'll get you a good deal on that 80.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
gueedo70

gueedo70 is on a distinguished road

I would never trust a Pep Boys brand anything. Especially something that is carrying precious cargo.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #9
Archangel
Angel's Realm Where Evil Fears To Tread

Archangel is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine bought one of those pep boy trash bikes need I say more he said id was broke in less than 3 days his kids were just riding in the clear open field and it went belly up motor blowed
he got a reluctant replacement and it died 4 days after he got it.
stay away from that trash from pep boys.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
pterry
Motorcyclist

pterry is on a distinguished road
Default cheapee bikes

Isn't there a safty factor involved? I've seen some of these "cheapees" and they almost look deadly they are built so bad. I think it's like buying a helmet and say "how much is your head worth" just say "how much is your son worth"? If you want to save money buy a good(Hnd,suz,kaw,yam,ktm) used bike.
pterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #11
Archangel

Yes there is on most of the bikes cheap crappy bikes, but for the most part the motors just go long before the bike falls apart.
But in some cases a piston can go right through the motor or other dangerous problems.
The safety issues and the longitivity issues make the pepboys and other cheap brand ,rides out there a wast of your money.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:26 AM   #12
redbike
Verified

Thanks for the advice...I bought the Honda and from what I am reading now, I made the right choice. Thanks again for the input.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #13
Archangel

That you did you won't be disappointed.