Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Anything other than motorcycles

Old 10-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
Ramazith
2005 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

Ramazith is on a distinguished road
Default Daily Life In A Biker Gang

How does day to day life work in a biker gang? Biker gang, not MC Club. I'm talking Hells Angles, Banditos, Mongols, Pagans; that sort of gang.

Yes, I've read that many of these "gangs" are MC clubs of misunderstood and mislabeled individuals who are just a rowdier bunch than the local Gold Wing club. They do some good works and are loved by many in their local communities. Still though, a good portion of their rep is well deserved. I'm talking about the bad asses here.

I mean, these folks must have jobs. Motorcycles aint free. Neither is gear, gas, tags and insurance. They need food and shelter, too.

Surely drugs, guns, theft and prostitution don't pay for it all. Not for everyone. A would be biker has to have come from somewhere. He was raised up somewhere by someone. He had a job at some point. Could Bob the janitor be a Mongol and I don't even know it? Does he save up his vacation time to ride with the gang and only conduct their nefarious deeds on his days off? "Gotta wrap up this gun run by 7, Killer. I have to be at the office by 8."

These gangs are too big, too visible, been around too long, have too many club houses and too many expensive bikes to get all their cash from crime. The local posers who walk around dressed like gang members, well, that's just it, they walk. They aint got the money for 1000cc+ bikes and leathers. Do the Pagans schedule their meetings around Joe's work hours and after he picks up the twins from band camp? Do they contract with the local leather store to make vests and patches? Those are some quality pieces of apparel. Who sells them the bikes? Do they finance them? "Hi. I'm Grizzled Grease of Banditos local 666. I'd like to take out a loan for this here $12,000 Harley Davidson motorcycle. My credit score is .44 magnum, bitch!" I don't think so.

All those bikes are not riding around, together in large groups, with no papers. They aren't all stolen. The police would be on that like white on rice. Getting stopped for invalid tags is the stupid way to get busted. These guys have a legal way about them, some how. If not, the cops could shut down the biker part of a biker gang by impounding their bikes. Ya can't very well be a biker gang with no bikes.

I wonder about this stuff.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-07-2008, 02:20 AM   #2
grappler
We race the reaper.

grappler is on a distinguished road

You can actually make quite a bit of money from illegal activities...

Not going to name any names but I know a few people in my area that have bought new cars (BMW's and Mercedes) with drug money.

Tags are easily stolen, all it is is a little sticker. Find another bike and peel it off with your pocket knife.
grappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
Schneiderman

Schneiderman will become famous soon enough

Crime is VERY lucrative. Visibility and notoriety don't mean a thing if there isn't enough evidence against an individual to convict him. There are lots of people who make a good living on crime (most of them were voted in to office!).
Old 10-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by grappler View Post
You can actually make quite a bit of money from illegal activities...
I agree that enough money can be made by organized crime not to have a day job. Of course the average day job won't usually get someone killed or sent to prison as easily as a life of crime. It's a pretty risky trade off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dodsfall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:51 AM   #5
grappler
We race the reaper.

Unfortunately some people make that trade...
Old 10-09-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
RoadWarriorService
Freedom Fighter

RoadWarriorService is on a distinguished road
Talking

How do HOG members manage to put food on the table? They spend so much time and money at the Harley Botique, I just gotta ask! he he he ...
RoadWarriorService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:39 AM   #7
mywaterisland

mywaterisland is on a distinguished road

I know a few guys in biker gangs. On the outside they look like they could chew nails. But on the inside they are normal just like you and I. if you consider yourself normal
mywaterisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:06 AM   #8
shamrock7777
Verified

shamrock7777 is on a distinguished road

As a former Parole Officer I had several real deal bikers on my case load. They went to work everyday - serving meth and collecting "revenue" for their heirachy. My experience was that most were like soldiers trying to make rank - be full members. They were "on-call" 24/7 to take care of business of any kind. Until you are a made member your life is chaotic with many sleepless nights and days. I don's see it as a glamorous or easy rode. Lots of violence, competition and rules. Not really the free soul picture you get from the movies.
shamrock7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #9
RonK
Very Famous Person

RonK will become famous soon enough

--
A note here, HOG members are not gang members.

RonK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Do I have it together yet?
RonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
grappler
We race the reaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock7777 View Post
As a former Parole Officer I had several real deal bikers on my case load. They went to work everyday - serving meth and collecting "revenue" for their heirachy. My experience was that most were like soldiers trying to make rank - be full members. They were "on-call" 24/7 to take care of business of any kind. Until you are a made member your life is chaotic with many sleepless nights and days. I don's see it as a glamorous or easy rode. Lots of violence, competition and rules. Not really the free soul picture you get from the movies.
From what I understand of gangs that is how most of them operate. They are like mini-militias, everyone has a rank and a role.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:07 AM   #11
GI Jack
Sickle Punk

GI Jack is on a distinguished road

drugs make a lot of money quick. Running a drug operation is how the bloods and crips make most of their ****.

Its what pays for the expensive bikes, leathers, etc

Also, did the Italian mafia have to work day jobs shaking people down for protection money, and stealing things, no. They didn't even sell drugs.

The one thing I found about organized crime is its all the same, I've never met a biker gang member, but I don't expect 'em to be any diffrent, just diffrent clothes, and diffrent colors.

edit: I also hate it when people tend to lump, just a bunch of local "rowdies", with organized criminals and posers.

The mindset between 'em all is much much difffrent.
GI Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

Organized crime of most sorts run on the feudal system. It's a pretty effective system of government and has been around for a long time.

Dodsfall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #13
NFJ79
Verified

NFJ79 is on a distinguished road

What the show "Sons of Anarchy" on FX Weds nights to get an idea.
NFJ79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #14
gkim4107

gkim4107 is on a distinguished road

check out a book called

"Under and Alone" by William Queen, true story about a federal agent who infiltrated the Mongols.

Very good read
Old 10-17-2008, 12:45 AM   #15
Ramazith
2005 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

Ramazith is on a distinguished road

I've known (of, ahem, on TV and stuff) weed dealers who made decent money from dealing weed. For all the seeds (potential plants that grow like, well, weeds) in some of those bags, it's a wonder they stayed in business, but I digress. Still though, when it came time to rent an apartment, buy a house or anything that required proof of income, they had a real job to write down on the papers. Sometimes their own jobs. Sometimes a room mate's or spouse's job. Point is, somebody had a real job.

These gangs, large ones especially, have property; real estate with buildings on them. Buildings with signs out front. These buildings had to be purchased, inspected, insured. The sign does not say "Secret Organized Crime Syndicate HERE". It has their gang name on it. Not every member is bank rolling his daily life with crime. Somebody is working down at the Walmart, at least for appearances. Which segways us to Sons of Anarchy.

SoA, fictional as they are, has an automotive shop. They do real work on real cars for real people who pay real money. One member is an Elvis impersonator. One guy is a logger. Jobs. They have jobs. Granted, the shop is a front of sorts, but still a legitimate business. It's a place the members can say they work at.

One difference between high profile biker gangs and other street gangs is just that, the high profile. Biker gangs wear patches that say I am a member of this high profile biker gang. Street gangs wear colors. I wear colors too. Green and blue and white plaid at the moment. No affiliation. I just believe everything matches. If a person is stopped wearing a red shirt, hey man, I'm just wearing a red shirt. You got nothin' on me copper. If a person is stopped wearing Hells Angels patches, he's a Hells Angle until proven otherwise.

From what I hear, wearing a patch when you are not in the gang is a lot worse for you health than wearing a red shirt when you're not in a gang. A red shirt? A Blood may not think twice unless you're obviously fronting or there's some stuff going down at the time. A patch? You better be for real. Called out on the spot, Sunday or not.

Now, when one gets busted in biker gang uniform, that's it. He's traced back to that gang forever. When he gets busted not in uniform and then later is seen in uniform, that's it. He's traced back to that gang forever. It's hard to be a criminal when LEO knows you are. A good one, anyway. Once you're made by the Man, man, you're a liability. Got the heat on ya. Maybe yous a rat now. Is that it, canary?

There's got to be at least a veil of legitimacy here. At most, a great degree of legitimacy among members. Maybe only 1% of one percenters are really one percenters.

By the way, I'm only interested in this because it's interesting. No way am I joining up. I'll look for that book.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:46 PM   #16
mtk1210

mtk1210 is on a distinguished road

Straight cash homey in yo granny's name
mtk1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #17
Mad_Bohemian
Super Moderator

Mad_Bohemian is on a distinguished road

Many years ago I worked with a local rock band (running sound and lights) that played pretty much just biker bars and have found the following to be accurate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywaterisland View Post
...On the outside they look like they could chew nails. But on the inside they are normal just like you and I. if you consider yourself normal
If you treat em' with respect that doesn't come from fear and just be 'normal' with 'em you'll have some of the best friends you could ask for! They'll have your back no questions asked....but if you get on their wrong side..u gonna have trouble....

01 Shadow/82 Maxim VooDoo
Mad_Bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote