Best visor/goggles for night/rain ? - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 09-29-2008, 02:25 AM   #1
adaviel
Verified

adaviel is on a distinguished road
Default Best visor/goggles for night/rain ?

I just wondered what people are using to ride in the rain, especially at night, and what they use as a wiper.

Years ago I had some UVEX googles with curved toughened glass lenses, that I could wipe without fear of scratching, Unfortunately they got stepped on or something and I could never find a replacement. So I have polycarbonate lenses and wipe them under running water. But the real problem is riding at night in the rain - the droplets turn oncoming headlights into stars and I can't see so good.
Dodging my head around to look between the drops works to some extent, but it's not ideal.

Does anyone have a really good solution ? Wiper blades ??
adaviel is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 09-29-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
hsartteacher
I Ride Like A Girl

hsartteacher is on a distinguished road

For night riding, especially in the rain, I can't see Jack. I use some yellow goggles under my faceshield or crack up my face shield and use those same goggles. I bought them for like $20 at a gear store. They work great for eliminating those starburst headlights.

Aerostitch, I believe, makes a glove with a little wiper on the finger, no kidding!!
hsartteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Wrangler212

Wrangler212 is on a distinguished road

I just went through a lot of rain last night and vision was a huge problem. I think that I'm going to have to take your advice and pick up some yellows.
Wrangler212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:54 AM   #4
adaviel
Verified

Maybe I'll try the yellow lenses next time I visit the safety store. Meanwhile I put together a spinning disk thing modelled after the ones they have on ships. So far, it has only faced moderate rain during daytime.The real test will be at night.

One problem with making things out of scrap is that I only had one motor - it really needs two disks
http://andrew.daviel.org/visordisk.html
Old 10-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
02cutominfl
Master At Arms

02cutominfl is on a distinguished road

I always use yellows at night. As far as rain, I use anti-fog solution that I normally use on my scuba mask on the inside to keep from fogging.
02cutominfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
hsartteacher
I Ride Like A Girl

hsartteacher is on a distinguished road
Default WOW how clever is that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaviel View Post
Maybe I'll try the yellow lenses next time I visit the safety store. Meanwhile I put together a spinning disk thing modelled after the ones they have on ships. So far, it has only faced moderate rain during daytime.The real test will be at night.

One problem with making things out of scrap is that I only had one motor - it really needs two disks
http://andrew.daviel.org/visordisk.html
I just checked out your home made face shield solution; that is TOTALLY cool! Very creative....
hsartteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
adaviel
Verified

Finally, some rain at night. The disk is not so great as I had hoped - I get some spray on the visor underneath the disk, plus having 2 thicknesses of plastic to traverse (more likely, 4 gunked-up surfaces) makes it worse than the plain visor. So, the Mk2 now has a hole in the visor and the motor+disk set back a bit. More intrusive into the field of view, though. Next, wait for more rain (not usually a problem in Vancouver this time of year). No photo; some jerk stole my camera.