How many miles should a used bike have? - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > First Bike / New Rider > Buying First Motorcycle Soon

Old 08-27-2008, 12:23 AM   #1
stevenf
Verified

stevenf is on a distinguished road
Default How many miles should a used bike have?

If you were looking for a Honda Shadow or Yamaha Vulcan, How many miles would you expect to have on one before you overlooked it?
stevenf is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
bmjwright
Verified

bmjwright is on a distinguished road

According to kbb.com:

What is the average yearly mileage for a motorcycle?
Obviously mileage will vary from year to year and model to model. A simple guide could be to consider the type of bike you are looking at: If the bike is a sportbike 600 c.c. to 999 c.c., and since these bikes are traditionally weekend only bikes, you can expect to see lower miles, about 3,000 miles per year. Tourers or Sport Tourers usually see a lot of miles, but these are generally freeway miles, between 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year.
bmjwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
hangul111
Motorcyclist

hangul111 is on a distinguished road

I know I haven't ridden in 20 years, but I used to average 12 miles a day during the week, and 200 on the weekend. That is about 13K/year if you live where its warm. I did closer to 7K/year because I don't like to ride on snow and ice. I lived in the middle of nowhere about 20 miles from the nearest town back then.

Those were not racing bikes either, just built from the junkyard frames and rebuilt engines with enough accessories to make them one of them street legal. The other was a fun in the mud bike so I didn't waste money on peripherals.

I would stay away from a racing bike with that kind of mileage, and if it is in town the mileage for a cruiser should probably be around 6K/year max.

Just my opinion, I don't claim to be an expert.

Hope you find one you like.
hangul111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
rexmitchell
Administrator

rexmitchell has a spectacular aura about

It really depends on the year and model of bike. Typically people put way less miles on a bike than a car, depending on how much you want to spend, I would say stick below 20000 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett
rexmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
gammaqueen

gammaqueen is on a distinguished road

I would say 12K a year would be normal. I consider myself to be extreme since I have 34,000 on my 2007.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ness Vision AKA Maj Tom & 1200XLL
gammaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote