Leatherup.com? - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > Reviews & Opinions

Reviews & Opinions Post reviews or opinions on any motorcycle related product or service.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
artyboy

artyboy is on a distinguished road
Default Leatherup.com?

Anyone ever dealt with these guys? Their prices seem to be too good to be true and it's pretty obvious that they edit their customer reviews and only post the good ones. I found a couple of good and bad reviews on some third party websites so I'm not sure what to think. Any info would be great.
artyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #2
CB750F
Shantytown Mayor

CB750F is on a distinguished road

I bought a textile jacket from them. They aren't top quality stuff but it's been a year and the jacket has served me well. One zipper did break but that i think was my fault.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #3
Voltaic Shock
08 Red Ninja 250

Voltaic Shock is on a distinguished road

Don't most sites only put up the good reviews?

Sometimes the The Better Business Bureau has some information on websites.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
stuco

stuco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaic Shock View Post
Don't most sites only put up the good reviews?

Sometimes the The Better Business Bureau has some information on websites.
A lot of sites leave all product reviews nowadays.

Last edited by stuco; 06-25-2008 at 03:09 PM..
stuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
artyboy

The better sites leave up all reviews. I did buy a pair of chaps and some leather gloves from these guys. They shipped fast and the quality was much better than expected. $50 for the chaps, $15 for the gloves (padded, cold weather gauntlets) and $8 for shipping is hard to beat.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
bzippi
Verified

bzippi is on a distinguished road

I bought a leather jacket, overpants and leather gloves from them. Everything shipped quickly and the jacket and overpants were much better quality than what I expected for the price.

I don't think I would order helmets from them, and I'm not sure if I would take a chance on some of their saddlebags or not. But I would definitely consider buying from them again.

All that said ... buying online like this is always a bit of a gamble, IMHO.
bzippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #7
artyboy

Yeah but the stuff is so cheap that you should be able to ebay it and get your money back if you don't like it. They've got a 30 day money back guarantee that I haven't tested yet so if that's for real then I don't see how you could go wrong.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:28 PM   #8
Williamdcollins
Road Captain

Williamdcollins is on a distinguished road
Default Leather Up

I friend at work bought a leathercoat and some other items. Good service , good price, and products. i have also bought a few items and had good luck.

Thinking about buying some chaps from them for some long term trips.
Williamdcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
bucfanmike
Verified

bucfanmike is on a distinguished road

well ill be testing their return service.. Im a big guy and some things its hard to find a fit. I wanted a jacket and like the looks of some of theirs. We do know jackets up here in duluth mn, and in columbia jackets i wear a 3x (these normally run small) but most jackets i wear a 2x. My 3x columbia is also too big when the lining is zipped out, so i ordered up my jacket from leatherup in 3x. after ordering i saw some of the reviews that said it runs a little small.. I got my jacket in a timely fashion, with fed ex tracking which is nice. The jacket looks really good, zipper seems to be cheap plastic, but this thing doesnt even come close to fitting. 2-3 inches from getting the zipper going while standing up, forget actually sitting. I know for this even the 4x wouldnt fit me and by the time i went to a 5x (which they have) the sleeves would drag the ground. So anyway i should have known better its tough for a fat guy to order clothes online .
bucfanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #10
ramtuff
Verified

ramtuff is on a distinguished road

I just put in a hefty order with them (jacket, two pair of pants, and a sissy bar bag), so I'll be finding out how good their merchandise is. I placed my order on the 15th, everything shipped on the 17th, and it's due to arrive on the 22nd.

Just as an FYI, do a google search for "Leatherup.com coupon code." I found a code that saved me 15% on my order.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #11
ramtuff
Verified

ramtuff is on a distinguished road

I got all my stuff from LeatherUp and I'm quite surprised. For the prices, the quality seems really good. Only time spent wearing the gear on the road will tell if it really holds up or not, but right now I'm a happy customer. Here are the links to the items I bought:

http://leatherup.com/p/Leather-Chaps...ent/41282.html

http://leatherup.com/p/Leather-Chaps...aps/41326.html

http://leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcyc...ket/54614.html

http://leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Ac...ack/50599.html

One tip about the clothing, order a size larger than you usually do. For the overpants, I actually ordered two sizes larger, and they fit pretty good.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #12
Speedzter2000
Wrench. Ride. Repeat.

Speedzter2000 is on a distinguished road

I have purchased a few items from leatherup as well. I was quite satisfied with their products. They USED to have H/D boots, and I bought 3 different styles, all for under $120 for all three pairs. I saw one pair at the dealer for almost $200, so I know I got a deal! They do ship very quickly, and have great close-out items. Never had a problem with their products.

BTW, I bought the chaps from them years ago, and they held up VERY well. Ended up selling them though. Went with armored, vented leather riding pants from brockton cycle ($149)

Last edited by Speedzter2000; 07-24-2008 at 07:42 PM..
Speedzter2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:39 PM   #13
artyboy

I just received an email from them with this coupon code 101032. It's good until 8/10 and is good for 15% off. I just placed a $350 order, too . They don't honor coupon codes if they aren't included in the original order.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:17 PM   #14
Voltaic Shock
08 Red Ninja 250

Voltaic Shock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by artyboy View Post
I just received an email from them with this coupon code 101032. It's good until 8/10 and is good for 15% off. I just placed a $350 order, too . They don't honor coupon codes if they aren't included in the original order.
That blows!

Most sites/companies will do something for you.

You could return your order and then re-order - :P
Old 08-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #15
bzippi
Verified

bzippi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaic Shock View Post
That blows!

Most sites/companies will do something for you.

You could return your order and then re-order - :P
Or you could just call them and tell them that if they won't honor the coupon, you'll just return your order when it arrives and shop somewhere else. It may not work, but it's worth a shot.
bzippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #16
bucfanmike
Verified

bucfanmike is on a distinguished road

well a full 2weeks after i sent back my jacket i still hadn't gotten any word from them. 3 phone calls later and luckily i still had the tracking from ups becuase they were saying they hadn't gotten the jacket back. well i finally got my credit back.. so they do honor their return but not completely on their own.
bucfanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #17
jmafisher

jmafisher is on a distinguished road
Default Leather Up

I got a pair of chaps, a jacket and boots from them. The prices are great and the quality is good. The jacket was very small. I normally wear a XX and I saw reviews saying to get the jacket larger so I ordered a 3X, and it is a tight fit. They don't always have things in all sizes.
jmafisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #18
bwilliamson08
Verified

bwilliamson08 is on a distinguished road

never really heard of any of my friends buying from there
bwilliamson08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 07:42 PM   #19
kraxer
Motorcyclist

kraxer is on a distinguished road

I have bought the color U.S.A. jacket from them and a pair of fingerless gloves(the one with the skull on them). and some saddle bags.

The jacket I bought looks great, feels good, and I love it, almost everyone of the guys I know, and at the H.O.G. meetings love it, and have ordered from them after they seen it and tried it on, and can't believe the quality of it for the price.

The gloves were a little small at first, but after having them on for about a hour they broke in perfect and they have a nice padded bottom on them. and the sticking on them seems to be real good as they loosened up and haven't broke a one.

the saddle bags are great, they was really stiff at first but broke in rather well, I love them.

As for service, i live in Missouri and I placed my order on Tuesday and I had it Friday, that was with the regular shipping.

Overall I really like them, I saw something I saw and wanted on amazon, and they was the seller, so I went to their site before I ordered and ordered off it instead after looking at all of the other stuff they had.

I am sure somewhere somewhere would have something bad to say about them, but, as for now I recommend them to people and will until I have reason to do so otherwise.
kraxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #20
Clippy147

Clippy147 is on a distinguished road

I ordered almost $300 worth of products. When it didn't come the day before the deadline I was given, I called customer service to say I was anxious as that day was the day I needed my items.
I was told that the helmet (kinda essential) had actually be sent from another place and would be later in arriving. I asked what to do if it didn't come in time for leaving town I was told to "refuse" the box. My shipment didn't come, I had to buy all the items at a local retailer.
When it did arrive, the helmet several days even later, I did what I was instructed. I am now told by them that I am charged almost $35 for refusing the shipment instead of filling out the return sheet. I told them what I had been told and they essentially called me a liar and said as "proof" I needed to know who I spoke with since all of their customer services reps "are well trained."

There is no bargain here, folks. TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE. And after reading online reviews, it is clear I am not the only one receiving this type of service.
Clippy147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #21
internationalballer

internationalballer is on a distinguished road

The only problem I ever had was with using a different delivery address than my billing address. This cause a delay in my delivery. I clled em up, told em I was headed out of town and they gladly changed the delivery address. Never had a problem with em.
internationalballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #22
Archangel
Angel's Realm Where Evil Fears To Tread

Archangel is on a distinguished road

I use them all the time They have never let me down.
The only complaint I have ever had was when they get out of stock they take a while to get it back in stock.
I get my stuff in 2 to 3 days so far on all 6 orders so far.
4 stars from me out of 4
Old 10-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #23
peterman

peterman is on a distinguished road

leather up stuff is cheap but really poor quality i will advise fellow bikers to just spend bit more and get some thing appropriate. I had lot of hassle with the things i bought.
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #24
JBorg

JBorg is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased a jacket and armored pants from them. Quality is adequate for me and the price was great. I've got no complaints so far.
JBorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #25
RideN
Over the Hill.....but enjoying the ride!!

RideN is on a distinguished road

I just puchased a Xelement Textile riding jacket from them. Arrived in 4 days. The quality is good, especially for a jacket only costing $79. Removable armor and nice zip in lining.
RideN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #26
Tdubb

Tdubb is on a distinguished road

Just remember guys, you get what you pay for. I personally would rather wait for some good name brand stuff to hit NewEnough.com s bargain basement section. I got my last Fieldshier perforated jacket from there for under $50. It had a zip in liner and pads too.

got some great leather gloves from there once for $7

and some nice perforated gloves with the carbonfiber knuckles for right around $20.

Just be patient and you can get great deals from them
Tdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:26 AM   #27
shubonker
i dont like taxis

shubonker will become famous soon enough

I tried to buy from leatherup the other day but their website wasn't letting me check out... i saw it as an omen, haha.
shubonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:24 AM   #28
trixter
Cyborg in training

trixter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzippi View Post
All that said ... buying online like this is always a bit of a gamble, IMHO.
I think that depends. There is the gamble that you wont get what was advertised, or that it will take a while to be delivered or whatever. In general if you buy name brand goods online I think that there is no gamble in the merchandise other than what you would have anywhere else.

If the gear is rebranded or made just for them (often its not just for them but lots out of factories somewhere) you can have hit or miss quality and quality control issues.

I would go somewhere and try the feel of something first and only then order online. I have some odd body dimensions so somethings do not fit well. Example narrow heels, wide feet (duck feet) and large calves. Getting boots that fit are hard in a store where I can try stuff on, online I would dread it, unless I knew the manufacturer, model and size ahead of time.
trixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:26 AM   #29
trixter
Cyborg in training

trixter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfanmike View Post
The jacket looks really good, zipper seems to be cheap plastic, but this thing doesnt even come close to fitting. 2-3 inches from getting the zipper going while standing up, forget actually sitting.
incentive to lose weight?
trixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #30
Jesterrace

Jesterrace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
leather up stuff is cheap but really poor quality i will advise fellow bikers to just spend bit more and get some thing appropriate. I had lot of hassle with the things i bought.
Depends on what you order from them. I agree that the Xelement and Joe Rocket lines are cheap undersized garbage. However, the items from their USA Leather line are quality products. I ordered a bomber jacket in that line and the sizing is pretty accurate (like most jackets you will probably want to order one size up with them), it is also a very solid jacket and you call tell by the heft and the feel of the materials that it isn't cheap quality/imitation leather. Here is the jacket:

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Leat...ets/40208.html
Old 10-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #31
robow
Ninja Robot

robow will become famous soon enough

I wasn't very impressed with their customer service. The first jacket I got from them had a huge tear in the leather that I can't believe they didn't see when they packed it. I e-mailed them about the return and after two weeks I heard back from them about what to do. I returned the item and about 2 weeks after they got it back I finally got my refund. other than that they aren't bad.
robow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:08 AM   #32
shubonker
i dont like taxis

shubonker will become famous soon enough

Ok i take back what i said earlier. I ordered the "Xelement XS-588 Armored Leather Motorcycle Jacket" in a small and it is surprisingly great value for the money. At 5'7" and 130lbs, this jacket fits me almost perfectly.

Here's a review of it on my blog if anyone's interested: http://shinyelbow.blogspot.com/2010/...y-mans_30.html
shubonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:48 AM   #33
frank11
Motorcyclist

frank11 is on a distinguished road

haven't dealt with them
frank11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #34
louturks

louturks is on a distinguished road

I've bought from leatherup. No bad experiences yet.
louturks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:52 PM   #35
MS_Steve

MS_Steve is on a distinguished road

Have had relatively good luck with them. Bought numerous pairs of gloves (fingerless / regular / & cold weather), chaps, leather pants, vest, a large leather backrest travel bag, and some simulated leather saddlebags.
The leather pants had a zipper problem... I had to send them back for inspection before they replaced them (15 day ordeal).
The chaps were a little large in the waist, but they're basically 2 legs and a belt... so I got a grommet and made another hole in the 'many sizes fit all' belt.
Items have always shipped in less than a week... and yes... out of stock items can take a while before they butcher another cow.
Great prices... I'm huge fan.
MS_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:51 PM   #36
bahtah
Verified

bahtah is on a distinguished road
Default Leatherup

My wife and I have purchased two jackets, two vests and chaps. My wife's vest was too small and we returned it and got the correct size. The prices were good and the service on the return and exchange was good. The quality is probably a little less than something that cost twice as much but not that you would notice. I would say good service and good prices. Take the money you save and have another Starbucks
bahtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #37
DuckyTopTN
Master At Arms

DuckyTopTN is on a distinguished road

Only recently purchased an HJC helmet from them through Amazon and all went perfectly and price was excellent.
DuckyTopTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #38
Flattop67
Verified

Flattop67 is on a distinguished road

I have purchased a few items from them with no issues and was happy with their products.
Flattop67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #39
mikeog

mikeog is on a distinguished road
Default Hit and Miss

I've ordered from these guys a few times and had good and bad experiences. The sizing of several items were WAY off. When I returned them they took care of it with no problems. My buddy, on the other hand, had to chase them around pretty good to get satisfaction on some returns. Seems pretty hit and miss- buyer beware.
mikeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #40
Dewman

Dewman is on a distinguished road

I've browsed their site, but have yet to purchase anything.
Dewman is offline   Reply With Quote