Motorcycle Honda vs Suzuki - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > Reviews & Opinions

Reviews & Opinions Post reviews or opinions on any motorcycle related product or service.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
Ramazith
2005 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

Ramazith is on a distinguished road
Default Motorcycle Honda vs Suzuki

Hi yall. I'm so new I'm still a wannabenewbie. I take my riders course this month and it will be my first time on a motorcycle since a dirt bike some 15 years ago and I don't have any more experience with that than just a few rides around a big yard. I can ride a bicycle pretty good though, got a Mongoose Montana.

This forum looks active with people willing to talk. Awesome!

I'm looking at a motorcycle because 1, I've always wanted one and 2, gas is expensive. The reasons justify each other. A motorcycle looks like a cost effective means of daily transport and fun to boot.

So, this motorcycle will be a daily driver. I commute 5 days a week, 60 miles round trip and most of that is highway and interstate; 55 - 65 mph. Some days I do 60 mph nearly from door to door.

I'm looking at a cruiser class motorcycle. My current top 6 choices are:

07-08 Honda Shadow VLX 583cc, chain drive, 1 carb, 452 pounds, 4 speed.
07-08 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. 745cc, chain drive, 2 carbs, 496 pounds, 5 speed.
07-08 Honda VT750DC 745cc, shaft drive, 1 carb, 553 pounds, 5 speed.
07-08 Honda VT750C2 745cc, shaft drive, 1 carb, 553 pounds, 5 speed.
07-08 Honda Aero 745cc, shaft drive, 1 carb, 553 pounds, 5 speed.

08 Suzuki Boulevard S50 50 cubic inch (819cc), shaft drive, 2 carb, 443 pounds, 5 speed.
08 Suzuki Boulevard C50 Black 50 cubic inch (819cc), shaft drive, fuel injected, 542 pounds, 5 speed.

I got those specs from their respective websites.

The Honda VLX is the least expensive at $5,500. The rest range from $6,500 to $6,800 on the sticker.

What appeals to me with these is that they are liquid cooled. Sometimes I get in slow traffic. Sometimes I get in a multi-lane parking lot masquerading as a highway. I don't want to be on the shoulder and I hear liquid cooled engines last longer. That also answers the question, "Why not a Harley?" I'd have to go bigger and costlier than I want to get one that's liquid cooled. If only the 883 had a radiator.

I thought about a standard class motorcycle but learned most of them are insured as sport bikes and that adds nearly $1,000 to the cost of coverage.

Here's the questions.

1. How does Honda and Suzuki compare in terms of long term durability? I do see more and older used Hondas for sale than Suzukis.

2. My Nissan truck is 7 years old and has 195,000 fairly trouble free miles on it. How many miles is a fairly well maintained motorcycle like these good for?

3. What's fairly well maintained for a motorcycle?

4. How's the gas mileage on these? My research so far shows upper 40s to mid 50s. Trouble is, most manufacturers don't give mpg. I've had to search around owner postings, like I am now. Thanks, by the way. I do also understand that more weight, like bags, other accessories and cargo have a greater impact on motorcycle mpg than car mpg.

5. A guy at work rides a brand new Honda VLX and commutes a longer distance than I do. He says that 583cc engine handles 55-65 mph just fine and has throttle to spare. Opinions on that?

6. Tires? Another guy at works rides a Honda ACE, a medium weight cruiser, I think. He says I'd be buying a new set of tires every year. Really?

7. Chain vs shaft. I hear shaft is more better. ?

8. Is fuel injection really much better on gas than carbs?

9. Where do I put the spare tire?

10. I was just kidding about 9, unless yall got tricks. Is there anything I'm not asking?

Thanks in advance
Ramazith is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #2
Juan1
Motorcyclist

Juan1 is on a distinguished road

As far as gas savings, at $5,500 your bike isn't going to pay for itself anytime soon. I ran the numbers for myself and it'll take about 32,000 miles of riding, which is lots for a bike, for gas savings to equal the price of a 6 year old SV650 ($3,500). This formula will tell you how many miles it will take for your MC to pay for itself in gas savings:

Miles for the gas savings to pay for the MC = [(purchase price) / (average gas price)] x [(MC MPG) / {(MC MPG / car mpg) - 1}]

All of that said, they are fun and can eventually pay for themselves.

The best you're going to do on mileage questions is to look around various forums or see if wikipedia has any numbers. I think Suzuki and HD publish their numbers, but most makers do not.

Last edited by Juan1; 06-11-2008 at 12:47 PM..
Juan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Voltaic Shock
08 Red Ninja 250

Voltaic Shock is on a distinguished road

You could always start out with a smaller bike?

Are you hard pressed on a a cruiser type?

I have the new 08 Ninja 250R and the insurance is really cheap (mainly because it's a 250), and I hear it's fine on the highway.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
Ramazith

Thanks for the replies.

I'm rounding up.

Miles for the gas savings to pay for the MC = [(purchase price) / (average gas price)] x [(MC MPG) / {(MC MPG / car mpg) - 1}]

39,562 miles = ($7,500 / $3.95) x 50 mpg / (50 mpg / 21 mpg) - 1
39,562 miles = 1899 x 50 / 2.40 - 1

Or

$3.95 per gallon / 21 mpg = .19¢ per mile in just gas
$3.95 per gallon / 50 mpg = .08¢ per mile in just gas

60 miles round trip x 5 days a week = 300 miles a week is $55 a week in gas at 21 mpg
60 miles round trip x 5 days a week = 300 miles a week is $24 a week in gas at 50 mpg

I drive that 51 work weeks a year.
51 x $54 = $2745 a year in gas
51 x $24 = $1224 a year in gas
$2745 - $1224 = $1521 a year saved in gas money.

300 miles a week x 51 weeks a year = 15,300 miles a year. 2.6 years for the bike to pay for itself.

There's a lot of ways to write it out and more than just this to consider. There's insurance, maintenance and gear to figure. Then figure that not every day is going to be ridable for me.

All in all, 50 mpg is better gas mileage than 21 mpg. I need better than 21 mpg to get any kind of way improved over what I'm doing now. A motorcycle is still less expensive than a car that gets comparable mpg.

Besides, at 21 mpg and $19,000 at a not so great interest rate for my truck, I don't even want to know.

So...

Of all the bikes I listed, which do yall think is the best choice for my daily commute? How well will the Honda Shadow VLX stand up to it?

Is longer than 2.6 years and 39,562 miles of life something I can expect out of a motorcycle driven on my commute?

The idea of a bike with a smaller engine to than the Honda Shadow VLX is contrary to what I've read and heard from other people who ride. Most of them say 600 - 650cc is where I want to start for my type of commute. 500cc would be the minimum. I've also come to believe that 2 cylinders is more durable than 1, so a "thumper" is out, it seems. I did not know that smaller cc sport bikes were very much less to insure than larger sport bikes.

I am open to all yalls advice though. That's what I came here for, so I'm not poo-pooing anyones advice. Thanks again for your time.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
primalmu
2005 Bandit 1200S

primalmu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramazith View Post
I did not know that smaller cc sport bikes were very much less to insure than larger sport bikes.
Just to give you some idea, United Marine Underwriters quotes $233/year for a 2005 Ninja 250 for me. Coverage is $100k/$300k bodily injury (underinsured and uninsured included), and I am 22 and have never ridden a motorcycle. I don't need to bother with collision or comprehensive insurance since I will be buying used.

You should really look at used bikes. Motorcycles take a HUGE depreciation hit, much higher than cars do.

Oh, BTW, my MSF instructor this weekend was telling the class about a guy he knew in Tennessee who had 600,000+ miles on his Honda Goldwing. Properly maintained and not abused, I don't see why you couldn't get at least 100,000 miles on a bike.
primalmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
wildwolf
Verified

wildwolf is on a distinguished road

The Suzuki's are 805cc, not 819cc. The 883 Sportster is a slug.

Quote:
1. How does Honda and Suzuki compare in terms of long term durability? I do see more and older used Hondas for sale than Suzukis.
Both will last a long, long time if properly maintained
2. My Nissan truck is 7 years old and has 195,000 fairly trouble free miles on it. How many miles is a fairly well maintained motorcycle like these good for?
130-150K miles is no problem if well cared for.
3. What's fairly well maintained for a motorcycle?
Same as a car. Do your regular scheduled maintenance at the regularly scheduled maintenance intervals....and check things periodically (brake wear, tire wear, oil level, coolant level, clutch/brake fluid
4. How's the gas mileage on these? My research so far shows upper 40s to mid 50s. Trouble is, most manufacturers don't give mpg. I've had to search around owner postings, like I am now. Thanks, by the way. I do also understand that more weight, like bags, other accessories and cargo have a greater impact on motorcycle mpg than car mpg.
From the bikes you listed, they vary greatly. Expect 35-60, depending on how/where you ride, tire pressure, etc.
5. A guy at work rides a brand new Honda VLX and commutes a longer distance than I do. He says that 583cc engine handles 55-65 mph just fine and has throttle to spare. Opinions on that?
55-65? Yeah, it'll handle those speeds fine...throttle to spare? Matter of opinion.

6. Tires? Another guy at works rides a Honda ACE, a medium weight cruiser, I think. He says I'd be buying a new set of tires every year. Really? Depending on which tire brand, expect between 8,000 and 20,000 miles per set of tires. If you ride 8,000-20,000 miles per year, yeah, expect to put a set on every year: I do.

7. Chain vs shaft. I hear shaft is more better. ?
They both have advantages/disadvantages. I prefer shaft. Lots of folks I ride with prefer belt...some prefer chain.
8. Is fuel injection really much better on gas than carbs?
Yes...but likely only because one doesn't need to choke FI bikes and they don't need to sit with a choke on burning more fuel to warm up. This is, however, assuming the bike is properly tuned: a lot are not.
9. Where do I put the spare tire?
One the backseat...or better yet, make her ride her own
10. I was just kidding about 9, unless yall got tricks. Is there anything I'm not asking?I was kidding about #9 as well
I've had 2 S50s (VS800, both 1999 model) and my wife rides a 1994 model.
Two things to consider:
1. If you end up enjoying riding, you'll never save gas....my gas budget is the same every month. When I have to take the car, I go there & back. When I can ride, it sometimes takes longer or I look for rides to do: better mileage, but I just ride twice as far as I would have done in the car.

2. Buy used. Many great bikes are just like little puppies nobody loves and needing a new home/rider to care for them. I've bought 4 bikes in the last 4 years (3 800s and 1 250) and have spent less than $10k for all 4.
wildwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
Ramazith

Just a quick post to say thanks for the replies.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
slider
Motorcyclist

slider is on a distinguished road

I have inexpensive insurance (Progressive), and get good gas economy (65 mpg) at 65 mph on a Ninja 500. Its an inexpensive ride.
slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
chrisw

chrisw is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of the Suzi' boulevards, and if you have ever had chain or belt, shaft is AMAZING. yes they are heavier because of it, but its brilliant in cruisers and tourers.

Nearly no maintainance, just keep the oil changed like you would with a transmission on a car, no adjustment needed unlike a chain, no chain lube on your wheels, tyres, paint. feels great and doesn't make the horrible noises that chains do.

I prefer the C50, but the M50 is pretty nice too.

If its under factory warranty you will probably be asked to get services every 5000 to keep it. but if its not, just change your oil every 3-5 thousand, then a major service every 5-10 thousand (just checking clearances, plugs, leads etc)

oh and keep your cables lubed up like everybike, especially if you ride it in the rain, or you are near the cost. and boom! you got a nice reliable bike.

I also ride more expensive sport touring tyres, VERY hard compound in the centre tread for big miles, and a softer tread o n the outside, prevents squaring so much and runs for longer without replacing. I get between 9-15K miles depending on how I treat the bike.
chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
EatSomeIron

EatSomeIron is on a distinguished road

i prefer honda, its a more common bike. and in my opinion a better brand. but to each his own.

i heard from a friend (may well be fiction) that suzuki was made with slightly higher performance in mind, honda with slightly more reliability, and yamaha with a mix of the two.
EatSomeIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #11
primalmu
2005 Bandit 1200S

primalmu is on a distinguished road

Whoo, horray for digging up threads that are over a year and a half old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
primalmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
Calintz333
Master At Arms

Calintz333 is on a distinguished road

For quality and reliability I would take a Honda over a Suzuki any day. I could trust a Honda Rebel 250 or a Shadow 650 to be there 20 years from now working fine.

For performance and style Suzuki.
Calintz333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #13
Tigz
Master At Arms

Tigz is on a distinguished road

I've had the satisfaction of having both and love to ride them. Both are appealing on their own way. Though performance is night and day, they are different breed of bikes.

Tigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
MikeK77
Manbear

MikeK77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramazith View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I'm rounding up.

39,562 miles = ($7,500 / $3.95) x 50 mpg / (50 mpg / 21 mpg) - 1
39,562 miles = 1899 x 50 / 2.40 - 1

Or

$3.95 per gallon / 21 mpg = .19¢ per mile in just gas
$3.95 per gallon / 50 mpg = .08¢ per mile in just gas

60 miles round trip x 5 days a week = 300 miles a week is $55 a week in gas at 21 mpg
60 miles round trip x 5 days a week = 300 miles a week is $24 a week in gas at 50 mpg

I drive that 51 work weeks a year.
51 x $54 = $2745 a year in gas
51 x $24 = $1224 a year in gas
$2745 - $1224 = $1521 a year saved in gas money.

300 miles a week x 51 weeks a year = 15,300 miles a year. 2.6 years for the bike to pay for itself.

There's a lot of ways to write it out and more than just this to consider. There's insurance, maintenance and gear to figure. Then figure that not every day is going to be ridable for me.

All in all, 50 mpg is better gas mileage than 21 mpg. I need better than 21 mpg to get any kind of way improved over what I'm doing now. A motorcycle is still less expensive than a car that gets comparable mpg.

Besides, at 21 mpg and $19,000 at a not so great interest rate for my truck, I don't even want to know.

So...

Of all the bikes I listed, which do yall think is the best choice for my daily commute? How well will the Honda Shadow VLX stand up to it?

Is longer than 2.6 years and 39,562 miles of life something I can expect out of a motorcycle driven on my commute?

The idea of a bike with a smaller engine to than the Honda Shadow VLX is contrary to what I've read and heard from other people who ride. Most of them say 600 - 650cc is where I want to start for my type of commute. 500cc would be the minimum. I've also come to believe that 2 cylinders is more durable than 1, so a "thumper" is out, it seems. I did not know that smaller cc sport bikes were very much less to insure than larger sport bikes.

I am open to all yalls advice though. That's what I came here for, so I'm not poo-pooing anyones advice. Thanks again for your time.

WOW....in my opinion....

if you do THIS MUCH research before getting a bike, you are getting a bike for the wrong reasons!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeK77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
GI Jack
Sickle Punk

GI Jack is on a distinguished road

to be honest, I'd go suzuki. Your going to get raped on insurance and repairs for sportsbikes, plus they go through tires every 3-4k miles. even small cc ones.

Harleys are nice bikes, but can be a tad pricey, especially used as they hold their value better.(got mine military discount, new). Unlike any other 900cc cruiser, the harley sporster is pure steel, its small but heavy, and bone stock doesn't deliever great power to weight although it is road worthy.

a standard like a 70s-80s honda CB, suzuki GS, Yamaha XS, or the like will save you a whole lot of money.

Sure you need a helmet, our $200, but you can pick up a decent ride for $1k, and its almost nothing to insure(liability), gets 60 mpg, and parts are cheap, and they are easy to ride and work on.

but if your looking for a new-ish cruiser, I'd have to say suzuki. More bang for the buck.

Last edited by GI Jack; 12-22-2009 at 03:51 PM..
GI Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #16
typan
Verified

typan is on a distinguished road

Suzuki has always been the best value for money in my experience.
typan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #17
Marko

Marko is on a distinguished road

go honda kind of like the ford of bikes IMO
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #18
YOYO
Verified

YOYO is on a distinguished road

Ok here is my 2 cents. Reliability on a new bike is going to be around the same unless you plan on keeping this bike for ages. If you go used with an older model, reliability is still going to be good, but I favor honda. Fuel Mileage is going to be about the same on both. Here are some questions you need to ask yourself when looking at the difference between suzuki and honda.

1. Do you like a bigger bike with a smaller engine? Suzuki is more of a full size bike. Hondas are smaller unless you get up in the 1100cc range.

2. Do you like technology? Almost all suzuki cruisers come fuel injected, liquid cooled, and shaft driven. Hondas are still all carburated until you go with the VTX1800. Suzuki started fuel injecting them I think in 05 so there are alot of used ones.

Dont get me wrong I LOVE Honda's, but suzuki's come with a ton of features, and there cheaper bikes. The Suzuki's are pretty much maintence free, where some hondas are still chain, and most still have carbs.
Honda's below 1100cc are very good bikes for Females because of the low seat height, and center of gravity
My advice is to go to a dealership that sells both and sit on both to find one that fits your size.

P.S.The VLX is a good bike but it needs a 5 speed transmission. You will always be looking for an extra gear.
YOYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #19
Mjremington
Verified

Mjremington is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 28 year old Suzuki that needed some work as it sat for Six years but its in mint shape. Call around about insurance, dont settle. Progressive was my cheapest qoute so I went with them.
Mjremington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:43 AM   #20
Kingshead
Banned

Kingshead is on a distinguished road

Hey people, if this guy hasn't bought a bike by now he never will. Just sayin. And with over 300 posts showing I would be willing to bet he's been riding for some time now.
Kingshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #21
thippe

thippe is on a distinguished road

i'm trading up this weekend from the bike i started with (91 honda shadow 600). to a 2006 C50....decided i needed a little more bike size under my 6'3" body
thippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:07 PM   #22
benny hedges
Veryfried

benny hedges will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOYO View Post
Hondas are smaller unless you get up in the 1100cc range.

Hondas are still all carburated until you go with the VTX1800. Suzuki started fuel injecting them I think in 05 so there are alot of used ones.
huh? really?
are these Earth models or exclusive to your planet?
benny hedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #23
YOYO
Verified

YOYO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny hedges View Post
huh? really?
are these Earth models or exclusive to your planet?
Its true! Honda cruisers are mid sized bikes compared to Suzuki until you get up there in the cc's, and they all still have carbs except for the 1800. Now I dont mean all Suzuki cruisers. Mainly the C and M models. The S models are thin, top heavy, and carburated still.
YOYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #24
killab213

killab213 is on a distinguished road

Honda all the way
killab213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #25
silversurfer5310
Registered

silversurfer5310 is on a distinguished road

suzuke rulez
silversurfer5310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #26
Mscanon99
Motorcyclist

Mscanon99 is on a distinguished road

I just picked up a Suzuki Intruder, its a nice bike, nice fit and finish. I looked at a couple of Honda's, they were older however. I really liked the early 83-84 Shadow 750's, however at the end of the day, I picked up a 2000 Intruder 800 for a few hundred more....I ended up going with newer over the Honda. I think the Suzuki's carry a lower price point vs Honda's. I also noticed the Honda's are heavier, they seem to be built stronger....again, this is just my opinion after looking at about 3 or 4 used bikes in the same catagory.

Mike
Mscanon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:48 AM   #27
sailorlen10
Motorcyclist

sailorlen10 is on a distinguished road
Default Suzuki VS Honda

They are both great bikes. With proper maintenance both will go pretty much indefinetly!!!
sailorlen10 is offline   Reply With Quote