How big a bike for my 9 and 10 year old? - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > Motocross and Dual Sports

Motocross and Dual Sports Off-road riding

Old 05-28-2008, 01:24 AM   #1
shelzmike

shelzmike is on a distinguished road
Default How big a bike for my 9 and 10 year old?

To start with, I am a new bike rider myself, though I have had experience many years ago on a dirtbike. I recently bought an older cruiser and needless to say, my two boys, 9 and 10, now think I am the coolest dad in the world (temporarily, I am sure). Anyhow, they both have a lot of interest and I would like to get them started riding themsleves sooner rather than later.

Now here is the kicker, I am looking to buy only one bike for now, and here is why - both my boys are about the same size, but are way different in way of maturity. My 10 year old is much more mature for his age, and my 9 year old is much less for his age. Anyhow, I am fairly certain that my 10 year old will stick with it, while my ADD/HD stricken 9 year old may lose interest quickly.

So, what size bike would be recommended? I was thinking around the 75-125cc range. I am not so much concerned with power at this point, for obvious reasons, but do not want something that is really small in size (bike wise). Also, since they are going to be growing quite fast in the next few years, I want to get something used. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Mike
shelzmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Nitelord

Nitelord is on a distinguished road

Honda has some decent financing programs.

I had a Honda xr-75 when I was 10. I rode it until I was 15 and then sold it to put money towards my car.

They are going to have to sit in several bikes to find out which ones they can stand flat footed with and which ones are too tall. It makes it very hard to tip toe, or slide off to one side just to stop the bike. Specially when learning.

I'd say better to buy used, that fits right now and worry about something bigger when the time comes, if it comes.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
shelzmike

shelzmike is on a distinguished road

Hey, thanks for the input, i was thinking that an XR75 would be a possible good choice. Plus, it may work out great because once they are old enough to get a bigger bike (if they want to), the XR would probably go to my daughter (who is now 1 years old). She LOVES my bike now and is a daddy's girl, so I can guess where that will lead!

Mike
shelzmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #4
Nitelord

Nitelord is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a solid choice. Good Luck...
Old 02-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
MyYz400

MyYz400 is on a distinguished road

My first (around that age, I guess) was a XR80. I had that for about a year before I out grew it. Then traded it in for an XR100. Stayed on the XR100 for a good 5 years or so before stepping up to a XR250.
MyYz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Zadok
Verified

Zadok is on a distinguished road

My twins sons at 10 were on klx110s. Great bikes. Moved up to
the klx140 at age 12.
Zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
skos
Verified

skos is on a distinguished road

my .02. it all depends on his skill level. My friends 12 year old rides a KX85. However 2 of his friend of the same age ride 250 already.

Get him on a 85 1st & see how he does then you will know if that is good or if you have to go down
skos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:01 AM   #8
mj420$$$

mj420$$$ is on a distinguished road

i grew up on a xr 80 then went to a rm80 then straight to a kx 250 but back then they didnt have the bikes they have now you can try the kx 100 its a good all around size bike even the 9yr old might grow into it.
mj420$$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
skos
Verified

skos is on a distinguished road

Rode with my friend & his 12 year old this weekend. I had him try my 125. He can ride it but he can only reach the ground with his tippy toes.

also he would not be able to move the bike around too much in the woods as it is too heavy for him.

got to think about if he gets stuck or has to push start it.
skos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #10
chriskat1100
Verified

chriskat1100 is on a distinguished road

I would look for a 50cc two stroke my 8 year old girl has had hers sense she was 3 and it still is a good bike for her
chriskat1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:16 AM   #11
aaronrkelly
Rough Writer

aaronrkelly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelzmike View Post
To start with, I am a new bike rider myself, though I have had experience many years ago on a dirtbike. I recently bought an older cruiser and needless to say, my two boys, 9 and 10, now think I am the coolest dad in the world (temporarily, I am sure). Anyhow, they both have a lot of interest and I would like to get them started riding themsleves sooner rather than later.

Now here is the kicker, I am looking to buy only one bike for now, and here is why - both my boys are about the same size, but are way different in way of maturity. My 10 year old is much more mature for his age, and my 9 year old is much less for his age. Anyhow, I am fairly certain that my 10 year old will stick with it, while my ADD/HD stricken 9 year old may lose interest quickly.

So, what size bike would be recommended? I was thinking around the 75-125cc range. I am not so much concerned with power at this point, for obvious reasons, but do not want something that is really small in size (bike wise). Also, since they are going to be growing quite fast in the next few years, I want to get something used. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Mike
My son is currently 8.

I started him out at 7 on a Suzuki JR50 (2003 model I bought for $600 used in excellent condition). Its a 2 stroke 50cc....it has only 1 gear. So it either in gear or neutral....easy enough. At the time physically he was *about* to big for this bike really....but it was a learner bike. Anyways....I put him on it expecting to have to really teach him the basics. Instead in about 15 mins he was flat ass hauling around the yard, leaning into the corners and running flat out. He was pretty good by the end of the day. At any rate I let him ride it for the rest of that year deciding to buy him a bigger bike this year.

This year I snagged him a 2003 Yamaha TTR90 (bought used for $700). This is a 90cc 4 stroke bike with 3 speeds....but still no clutch. You just let of the gas, shift, back on the gas.....easy way to get them into shifting without the concerns of the clutch worked into all the other stuff they have to think about. Hes 8....cant quite flat foot the bike but hes close enough he feels comfortable on it. He loves riding it but still spends quite a bit of time on his JR50 too.

Size is all relative.....hell me and my friends will get the JR50s (I have another 1978 model as well) and the TTR90 out and race them around the yard. That TTR90 pulls me easily and Im 320lbs and 6ft4in......I wouldnt ever try the JR50 though.....my buddy rides it hes probably 5ft8in and weights 220lbs.

My advice is at your sons sizes skip the 50cc bikes.....its a waste.

I would stick to something semi-automatic (ie no clutch) for ease of learning.

I highly recommend:

Honda XR70 or CFR70 (changed from XR to CRF in 2004 I think) - great bike, super aftermarket support.....the 70 is a 3 speed semi auto......the 80 is a clutch bike

Yamaha TTR90

Kawasaki KLX110 or Suzuki DRZ110 (same bike) - this would probably be my top pick in your situation considering your boys size.

Any of those three would be fine....there are others such as the Yamaha PW80 (same size as the TTR90 except 2 stroke instead of 4) you just have to look around. The biggest issues is going to be what you will be able to find used in your market. I have my best luck on Craigslist.

In my area the KLX110s were running $900 on the low side up to $1200 or so. The XR and CRF70s were running $900 to $1100 with an occasion unit found around $800. The TTR90s run solid in the $800 to $900 range but you can score one a little cheaper if your quick. Mine was $700 but I drove 3 hours to get it (Im in the middle of no where).
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
antec250
Verified

antec250 is on a distinguished road

I would suggest nothing smaller than a 125cc. That would be plenty of power for someone his size but he will definitely grow into it.
antec250 is offline   Reply With Quote