Flat Tire!!! (picture) - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 02-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
Stratoliner

Stratoliner is on a distinguished road
Default Flat Tire!!! (picture)

I have my very first flat tire! lucky it didn't happen on the road.

my question for the experts......Can i repair it? or should i listen to the dealer and spend over $300 on a new tire?

The flat tire has 700 miles on it!
I bought a repair kit made for bikes. the hole is very very tiny, I can stop the hissing by putting my finger on it. it is NOT on the side wall. its inside one of the grooves on the tire, looks like an area that never even touches the road. any help would be appreciated. thanks you all.

please do not be too impressed with my art work bellow
Attached Images
File Type: gif tire.GIF (2.6 KB, 96 views)
Stratoliner is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #2
zeis97
Verified

zeis97 is on a distinguished road

well it looks like you got a flat tire on Donkey Kong, but other than that i'd say if you use a good tire PLUG KIT you should be ok... i had a nail go through my car tire, and plugged it with a tire plug repair kit.. after i had a hernia from pushing the plug in, it's held ever since and that was over 6 months ago. but i'm not a mechanic or whatever.. so this is just my personal experience...
zeis97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
iamgumby
Fallen Riders

iamgumby is on a distinguished road

From what I've been told most shops will not repair a motorcycle tire for liability reasons. Do a google on motorcycle tire repair and you will get all kinds of links and info. My gathering is that it is always best practice to replace a tire. But, yeah, ouch! That said, others have made plug and then patch repairs and rate the tire one step less on its speed & load rating. I've been lucky so far. I do carry a plug kit & compressor while on tour - but I'm pretty sure that I'd change out my tire. Mine aren't that expensive either!
iamgumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
Stratoliner

Default plugged

just plugged it myself, holding air fine. should i be worried it will blow out??!!!
i had a truck tire flat and dealer said cant fix it due to liability and the location of the nail. did it myself, its been 2 years with no problems.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:29 AM   #5
BH121869

BH121869 is on a distinguished road

Are we talking tubeless tire here and are we talking front or back? I have used the plugs on tubeless and have also used stop leak both on rear tires and have never worried about them. I carry both with me on trips. If it were the front tire I'd probably replace it when I got home. Mine have always happened on trips and I have not had any in years.
An old guy a long time ago told me to not ride in the center of any lanes as it is where the debris settles and the car tires miss them. I think it works for me out on the highway anyway.
BH121869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:30 AM   #6
BH121869

BH121869 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratoliner View Post
just plugged it myself, holding air fine. should i be worried it will blow out??!!!
i had a truck tire flat and dealer said cant fix it due to liability and the location of the nail. did it myself, its been 2 years with no problems.
On my truck I've even used plugs in the side walls and had no issues.
BH121869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:04 AM   #7
Stratoliner

Default Thanks

Thank you BH1. i feel less worried now. I figured the dealer would want me to buy a new tire. its the rear tire and tubeless. It's 190/60-17 pretty much like a car tire so why not repair it?
Makes sense that any debris would be right where car tires are not.

Thanks again
Old 02-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
clockdaddy

clockdaddy is on a distinguished road

iamgumby had it right about liability....
High speed rated tires can be repaired if your typical riding is just cruising around. If, however, you have a habit of "Warp 8" then change the tire.

Repairs on police vehicles are a big "NO, NO!!" and the same reasoning is applied.

Now 300 bucks a tire sounds mighty steep for what you've described. Should you choose to replace it, check around.

CD
clockdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
Stratoliner

I called everywhere, cheapest is around $330.00 installed. its a 190/60-17. any ideas where i can order one at a good price?

thanks you
Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 PM   #10
clockdaddy

I didn't really search long but at Bike Bandit.com, the closest I could find without going to 200-55-17 is this:

Pirelli Supercorsa Pro Race Tires @ 284.20.
There's a whole lot of tires cheaper than that.

"cheaper"...that's not a good word to say with that much money...Let's say less expensive. LOL

CD
Old 02-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
David

My 86 Kawasaki 454 has a plug in it for about 1000 miles and it did fine. But as soon as I could, I picked up a new tire. A blowout on a car is bad enough, but we all know what a blowout on a motorcycle can do. In the end, my peace of mind was worth more than the tire
Old 02-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #12
iamgumby
Fallen Riders

iamgumby is on a distinguished road

Stratoliner: get to know these good people! I have done business with them and they are fantastic! I've bought 2 sets of Dunlops and now have a set of Avon Storms from them.

swmototires.com.
iamgumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:44 PM   #13
Rednarb
Verified

Rednarb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockdaddy View Post
I didn't really search long but at Bike Bandit.com, the closest I could find without going to 200-55-17 is this:

Pirelli Supercorsa Pro Race Tires @ 284.20.
There's a whole lot of tires cheaper than that.

CD
Now if those Internet sites could somehow come out of the computers and install them...
Rednarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #14
Urban Coyote
COUNCIL MEMBER

Urban Coyote is on a distinguished road

If I absolutely depended on my bike and put alot of miles on it everyday, I would replace the tire completely, but if I could plug it up and kind of ride it easy for awhile to see if the plug is stable and there is no signs of further leaking and any possible way the tire could blow.

I'm somewhat anal about my tires on my bike in the first place. Since I am depending on only two wheels, I like them to be in great condition and always at proper inflation.

But I do know someoen who says he has 4 plugs in his rear tire and been riding with them everyday for over a year without any problems.

And o yeah, can a is it tubeless or can a tube be used?
Urban Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:13 AM   #15
clockdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednarb View Post
Now if those Internet sites could somehow come out of the computers and install them...
My point is that one of the best tires I saw was priced under 300.00.
Keep in mind there are a lot of tires in the 100 - 150 range.
In that price range a tire can be bought and installed for 200.00 or less.
Sorry I didn't make my point clear with you!

CD