Masking Curves? - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Repair, Building, and Restoration > Paint Jobs & Paint Tech

Paint Jobs & Paint Tech Post great specimens of motorcycle paint jobs. Pros or amateurs invited to show off their artistry.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
alleydude
Master At Arms

alleydude is on a distinguished road
Default Masking Curves?

Any experts here that can offer advice on masking curves? What tape do you use? Are there any special techniques you could share?

I'd like to do something like this (not these colors, just the two-tone) but every time I try to do a curve like the top forward curve, it comes out jaged and not smooth. Anyone with some advice?

Picture provided as an example only...

alleydude is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
CB750F
Shantytown Mayor

CB750F is on a distinguished road

I'm no expert but from what I've seen, people who paint flames and such (you don't get much curvier than that) use a real thin tape like 1/8" wide stuff. I would imagine the better quality tape (such as 3M) also helps. Even with my crappy paint work I won't skimp on tape and buy 3M. Ever have cheap tape fly off? I have . I imagine an auto body supply place could help you out with a good tape for curves. I would bet vinyl tape like real thin electrical type tape would bend a sharper curve than paper masking tape, especially if it was warm.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
CB750F
Shantytown Mayor

CB750F is on a distinguished road

I typed in tape for masking flames in Yahoo search and a couple sites came up. I read some of the one and the guy uses 3M Fine Line tape.

http://woodgraining.com/flash/flames/index.html

Probably production curves on a 2 tone paint job are like a template or pre-cut mask which I guess you could do with a razor blade and wide tape.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
alleydude
Master At Arms

alleydude is on a distinguished road

Thanks, CB, I'll check that out.
alleydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Madshadow
AKA Nightstalker

Madshadow is on a distinguished road

CB is right, 3M 1/8th inch fineline is a favorite of many, although some still prefer the green paper fineline. I have recently started using Colad tape which I'm getting through Innate.com It is a European tape which outperforms 3M in every aspect. It will hold its place for days and never leaves any residue. I posted pictures of my comparison test I did with it on another site and was going to link to it, but the site happens to be down. I think it's priced about the same and would highly recommend it.

Mark

http://www.madshadowcustompaint.com
Madshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
GBS Customs
Verified

GBS Customs is on a distinguished road

3m is the best.
GBS Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
jemdesigns
Verified

jemdesigns is on a distinguished road

I'll also agree 3M is the best. I'm no painter but I am a graphic artist who makes and distributes custom vinyl decals (currently down due to moving) I always use 3M for masking my decals it removes CLEAN with 0 residue. Try some decal sites for transfer tape it's thin enough and made by 3M yet to let me down
jemdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #8
jBryant
Verified

jBryant is on a distinguished road

I've always wanted to design a custom paint job for my bike but have no skills in that arena. If I can't trace it, I can't draw it. I just don't want to use a template from something someone else created, I don't want to see someone else rolling with the same paint job.
jBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #9
zrchobbies
Zach

zrchobbies is on a distinguished road

3M blue 1/8 inch fineline is the best and as far as making the curves.... just don't stop mid turn... LOL and make sure you have fun doing it...
zrchobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
WAR600
Motorcyclist

WAR600 is on a distinguished road

another thing you can try is to use pin striping tape to cover the jagged lines. The red line on the Harley tank I think is pin stripping tape.
WAR600 is offline   Reply With Quote