1977 GS550 cafe racer - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturers > Suzuki

Old 08-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
shoeless_000
Motorcyclist

shoeless_000 is on a distinguished road
Question 1977 GS550 cafe racer

I recently bought a '77 Suzuki GS550. It's in decent working order but needs some work. The body has seen better days and the engine is going to get a complete work-up. I have always been a fan of the old seventies style cafe racers. I know that usually Honda's are preferred, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a GS model being used? if so would anyone have any pointers or resources that might help? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

v/r
Keenan from Fort Bragg, NC
shoeless_000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-28-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
Nighthawk-Nino

Theres no preference, if you have a Suzuki, and you want to turn it cafe, do it, theres no like set of rules saying that it has to be an old honda cb. I mean hell, im turning my hawk into a cafe racer, its still a honda, but its not the everyday cb cafe. Do what you want I say, oh yeah, and on ebay you can get really neat rear fairing for cafe projects, id look into that if i was you.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
shoeless_000
Motorcyclist

Yeah I'm dead set on making it into a custom cafe style. I was basically wondering if anybody new any good resources for parts, technical info, how-to's, etc. Especially for the seat and rear fender. Thanks in advance for any point in the right direction
Old 08-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
Nighthawk-Nino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk-Nino View Post
oh yeah, and on ebay you can get really neat rear fairing for cafe projects, id look into that if i was you.
Now... go to ebay and search for cafe racer/cafe. youll find stuff.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
shoeless_000
Motorcyclist

Yeah I tried that. they don't have a damn thing for the GS550, other than like handlebars obviously. Any other ideas?
Old 08-31-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
CB750F
Shantytown Mayor

CB750F is on a distinguished road

Other than learn how to work fiberglass, no. Kinda sucks.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
Nighthawk-Nino

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeless_000 View Post
Yeah I tried that. they don't have a damn thing for the GS550, other than like handlebars obviously. Any other ideas?
Cause youre not gonna find something specific for your bike, you have to take the measurements of your frame and get a fiberglass tailend that will fit.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #8
shoeless_000
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk-Nino View Post
Cause youre not gonna find something specific for your bike, you have to take the measurements of your frame and get a fiberglass tailend that will fit.
Yeah I figured as much, I was also wondering if anyone had any ideas for relocating the battery. I assume from pictures most guys mount them behind the seat inside the cafe style rear faring, but I wasn't sure. Some of the bikes in this picture look like the battery just disappeared and I can't figure out where it went.