Inspection rules - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > Motorcycle Training, Safety, and Riding Techniques

Motorcycle Training, Safety, and Riding Techniques Ask questions of motorcycle instructors and share riding techniques and safety tips

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
yds3guy
Verified

yds3guy is on a distinguished road
Default Inspection rules

Now, this may be different from state to state... but I figured I'd ask anyway.

My YDS3 does not have turn signals installed from the factory... is that something that should be required for a motorcycle inspection? How hard would it be to add some sort of indicators, as I would like to have them even though they weren't original. I'm handy with electrics and a soldering iron, so a kit doesn't scare me.

Also, does anyone know what the proper procedure (specifically, for PA) would be to get a motorcycle re-registered, inspected, and insured? I have the original title, which will soon be in my name. I'm guessing I have to register it, insure it, and then get it inspected. Also, can I take it to any PA inspection station?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
Uesque

I can't speak to the turn signal question, but if they weren't stock, I'm guessing you wouldn't need them to pass inspection.

Register and insure are the first steps. Inspection will need to be by a motorcycle inspection station, it's different than cars. The guy that does mine works at an auto mechanic, but just happens to have his bike inspection license. Other than a case like that, you're probably going to have to have it done at a dealer.

Here's a link to the MV code:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/inspections/pub_45.shtml

"A vehicle specified under this subchapter may be equipped with turn signals." - That doesn't sound mandatory to me.

Last edited by Uesque; 11-29-2006 at 09:43 AM..

Old 11-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
yds3guy
Verified

Good info on the specific motorcycle inspection station... that's what I was hoping you weren't going to say .

I'd still like to somehow add turn signals. I'd feel much safer with them in place.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
CB750F
Shantytown Mayor

CB750F is on a distinguished road

You could always have it registered as an antique or classic. No inspection needed. I have my PA inspection licence for cars but not bikes.Uesque is right, if they aren't there from the factory then you don't need them.

The only thing about turn signals is they would be easy enough to add because there are aftermarket kits outt here but finding the right look would be tough.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:04 AM   #5
yds3guy
Verified

They have classic tags for motorcycles? I haven't seen any on the road...
Old 11-30-2006, 10:35 AM   #6
CB750F
Shantytown Mayor

Sure but it has the same stipulations as licencing a classic car.

http://www.dot4.state.pa.us/fact_sheets/index.shtml

Go down to
Antique and Classic Vehicles it's a .PDF fact sheet that mentions motorcycles.

Any notary should be able to do it.

I've seen them at bike shows but none on the road.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:36 AM   #7
Uesque

It's always frightening to realize that my first car, and several of my first motorcycles are now considered antiques.

Old 12-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #8
CB750F
Shantytown Mayor

My bike turned 30 this year
Old 12-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #9
Uesque

Heck, bikes that were built the year I got my motorcycle license are antiques this year. When did I stop being that punk kid on the dirt bike?

Old 12-10-2006, 03:34 PM   #10
Maico Shark

Maico Shark is on a distinguished road

Some of those old Hodakas are still blasting down a trail!! Those old two strokes are so simple not much goes wrong. sooner or later though someone forgets to add enough oil or uses the wrong plug and cooks the piston. Oh yeah, to reply to the OP(original post) NEVER ride a bike on the streets without very visible and fully functional turn signals. and always use them. Had to believe any maker would build them without signals. Is there a button on the controls for them?

Last edited by Maico Shark; 12-10-2006 at 03:39 PM..
Old 12-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #11
yds3guy
Verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maico Shark View Post
Some of those old Hodakas are still blasting down a trail!! Those old two strokes are so simple not much goes wrong. sooner or later though someone forgets to add enough oil or uses the wrong plug and cooks the piston. Oh yeah, to reply to the OP(original post) NEVER ride a bike on the streets without very visible and fully functional turn signals. and always use them. Had to believe any maker would build them without signals. Is there a button on the controls for them?
Nope... from the research I've done, it appears that the YDS-3's destined for the US did NOT have turn signals. The overseas and Japanese-spec bikes DID have signals. The only controls I've seen for signals were off of j-spec bikes, and would not fit my YDS-3.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #12
yds3guy
Verified

Well, no need to worry about the turn signal issue on my bike anymore... I found a great set of 6v signals at a local bike shop. Problem solved!!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:11 AM   #13
lllr1111
Registered

lllr1111 is on a distinguished road
Default Inspection Location

So, any suggestions for a cycle inspection location in NE Philly? Thanks!
Old 01-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #14
rexmitchell
Administrator

rexmitchell has a spectacular aura about

Dead thread, Im closing this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett
Closed Thread