Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > Motocross and Dual Sports

Motocross and Dual Sports Off-road riding

Old 02-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
wayne calderara
Registered

wayne calderara is on a distinguished road
Default Chinese knock offs.

I want of buy a couple of kids trail bikes as starters to ride the gated dirt roads around camp. They're too young to get the hang of clutches and grow too fast to spend the money on Hondas. The market is flooded with little Honda replicas built in China but I can't seem to get any feedback on whether they run for more than a month. Any body have experience with these bikes?
wayne calderara is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-27-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
Maico Shark

Maico Shark is on a distinguished road

Wayne, from what I've learned the Honda knockoffs are licensed by Honda. They are built (the engines) to Honda specs (the 70cc engine). I am told the parts are interchangable. That engine is ideal for kids (auto clutch) and is very sturdy. A used Honda 70 in good condition sells for around $700. I think a new chinese copy costs about the same. Those 2-cycle engine 4-wheelers & stuff I don't know about. Maybe one of our other members can help.
Maico Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
CB750F
Shantytown Mayor

CB750F is on a distinguished road

Avoid the 2 stroke full auto 50cc 4 wheelers.They dont seem to hold up real well plus getting parts could be a pain in the rear I would think.
CB750F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
reallrfz

reallrfz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne calderara View Post
I want of buy a couple of kids trail bikes as starters to ride the gated dirt roads around camp. They're too young to get the hang of clutches and grow too fast to spend the money on Hondas. The market is flooded with little Honda replicas built in China but I can't seem to get any feedback on whether they run for more than a month. Any body have experience with these bikes?
Some of them is high quality,and some is very poor.In china the price has three times diffrience between them.In China people look on it as toys for adult,they don`t carre their toys in trouble,to repair the eng $10 is enough.
reallrfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
lukaitis9
Motorcyclist

lukaitis9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maico Shark View Post
Wayne, from what I've learned the Honda knockoffs are licensed by Honda. They are built (the engines) to Honda specs (the 70cc engine). I am told the parts are interchangable. That engine is ideal for kids (auto clutch) and is very sturdy. A used Honda 70 in good condition sells for around $700. I think a new chinese copy costs about the same. Those 2-cycle engine 4-wheelers & stuff I don't know about. Maybe one of our other members can help.

As a Honda I can tell you that they are NOT licensed by Honda. The Chinese steal the design and make it themselves. The idustry is flooded with the cheap knockoffs. It is such a big problem with patent and copyright infringement that several of the Chinese manufacturers were served with papers at the dealer show this year in Indy. How many are you looking to get? I'm sure if you went down to your local dealer you could probably work out some kind of deal that is beneficial to both of you. Most of the chinese machines break down rather quickly and then getting parts is non-existant. It's terrible for me as a Parts manager to tell someone I can't get parts for little juniors bike and I don't know where to send him. The big 4 Japanese all make quality products that have a good dealer network behind them. The extra cost now is well worth the piece of mind.
lukaitis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #6
CB750F
Shantytown Mayor

I can get parts for my kid's 4 wheeler, it's got the GY6 knock off scooter engine but believe me it was an hour of diggin' and searchin' on the net. If you don't mind the diggin' and/or the couple weeks wait time for parts.......... I however do. When I want something I want it like yesterday or within a week, that's why I own 5 machines from the big 4.

I'm seriously considering starting up a business fixing all these knock offs around. If someone is willing to pay for the parts, I'm willing to hunt them down and fix them.

Quote:
It's terrible for me as a Parts manager to tell someone I can't get parts for little juniors bike and I don't know where to send him.
Yeah that would suck.

Last edited by CB750F; 07-03-2007 at 10:01 PM..
Old 07-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
Capt.

Capt. is on a distinguished road

I did some research on these bikes and scooters from China last year. I was considering adding them as an alternative to our customers with tighter budgets.
Reallrfz is right. There are big differences between Chinese manufactures and are generally reflected in their prices. One of my daughters bought a Chinese made scooter (it had an Italian sounding name) that she rode back and forth to work for a couple years until hurricane Charlie turned it into a glider in her condo parking lot. Other than a couple scrapes and new cracks in the panels, it still ran. The biggest complaint I hear is that the electronics tend to give trouble in a short amount of time and as already mentioned, parts access can be a pain. And no, I decided that until I could stand behind the product, I would wait until the product proves itself worthy here in the states.
Capt.
Capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #8
CB750F
Shantytown Mayor

About the only odd brand bikes from that neck of the woods I would consider selling is Hyosung or Alpha Sports. They seem to have a decent rep and dealer network here in the states.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
lukaitis9
Motorcyclist

lukaitis9 is on a distinguished road

"I'm seriously considering starting up a business fixing all these knock offs around. If someone is willing to pay for the parts, I'm willing to hunt them down and fix them."
Good idea. One of the big problems with parts is the inconsistancy of them. We have found that you could have 2 identical minibikes bought at the same time and totally different parts on each of them.
lukaitis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:30 AM   #10
CB750F
Shantytown Mayor

Yeah, from what I understand it's all where the manufacturer bought the engines. I guess there are hordes of places there than make the same basic engine (Honda 50 - 110cc clones, horizontal cylinder type).
Old 07-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #11
hogheaven
Motorcyclist

hogheaven is on a distinguished road

I saw a kids Chopper pic over int he chopper forum...do you have one of these motocross ones too?
hogheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:00 PM   #12
CB750F
Shantytown Mayor

Here, check out this site.

http://www.pitbikesrule.com/bikes.html
Old 07-31-2007, 04:49 PM   #13
greyboyfan

greyboyfan is on a distinguished road

Or, here, check this out. BTW, My son is the web designer for this company.

Click here,--->www.chinaoffroad.com/
greyboyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:10 PM   #14
CB750F
Shantytown Mayor

Nice site.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:44 AM   #15
Capt.

Capt. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyboyfan View Post
Or, here, check this out. BTW, My son is the web designer for this company.

Click here,--->www.chinaoffroad.com/
You should proud of him. He did a really nice job!
Capt.
Capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #16
greyboyfan

greyboyfan is on a distinguished road

Yeah! I'm proud of him. ...He's 35 yrs. old and supports himself. (for the most part) (;^)

Actually, he's "one" of the designers, I should say. Actually, the head guy of the company keeps stickin' his nose in to make suggestions. But, Dylan works on it all day, every day, building it, trying to keep up with all the new stuff they keep getting. Perfict job for him.
greyboyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #17
IdahoCharley

IdahoCharley is on a distinguished road

In this area one only has to look into the local ads (spring or fall) for motorcycles and find a bunch of used knock off brand bike that are basically new.

FWIW - I talked to a couple of fathers who bought the knock offs new and basically the issue was PARTS and crappy welding of critical frame areas that led to early problems in their bikes. Also local shops will not work on the bikes.
IdahoCharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #18
BraxtonJ
Motorcyclist

BraxtonJ is on a distinguished road

i had one back in the day, they are ok
BraxtonJ is offline   Reply With Quote