73 R75/5 help - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturers > BMW

Old 07-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
iowaopie

iowaopie is on a distinguished road
Default 73 R75/5 help

I have started this project never have worked on a BMW. But I have worked on many bikes all my life. I am currently taking apart a 1973 R75/5. I need to change the frame as the front section is in bad shape. I located another 73 frame and have it on hand. So it shouldn't be very hard I hope. Current problem is the swingarm. I am baffled as to what size the swing arm bolts are. NJothing I have seem to fit. is there a special tool I need to get these out so I can remove the swingarm ? and also on the engine itself. looks pretty large inside that frame. Can you remove the engine without taking it apart ? I am sure I will ask a lot more questions in the future, thanks for any help.
iowaopie is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 07-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
Slapper
Master At Arms

Slapper is on a distinguished road

Slapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #3
iowaopie

Default that no help

i need to get the swingarm off the frame. not planning on taking it apart. it just being transferred from one frame to the other. i just need to know if there is a special socket i have to get to remove the swingarm nuts. also what size is it and what about the motor question, thanks
Old 07-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
Slapper
Master At Arms

Slapper is on a distinguished road

Ok,yep you need a special socket...http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...49784469,d.dGI
Slapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
BoxerBamR100
Road Captain

BoxerBamR100 is on a distinguished road
Default Craft you 27mil socket

You can get a 27mil at a pawn shop for like a buck and bench grind the end down to fit inside the swing arm.
BoxerBamR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
BoxerBamR100
Road Captain

BoxerBamR100 is on a distinguished road

Also, for engine removal, if you remove the shrowd for the starter, maybe the starter too for extra room, Clymer says to remove the coils as well. You can get it out with the transmission attached with a couple of people to help you. I did mine alone, so I removed as much weight as possible.
BoxerBamR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
iowaopie

I ended up grinding down my 27mm deep well socket, which of course was the only one i had at the time and it was a snap on too. 1/2 inch drive. so figure out what that cost me lol. I ended up removing the tranny and the front shroud as well as the starter cover and air filter too. was not ready for how heavy that engine was. Now i have to mount it all back up on the otheframe and reassemble everything, rebuild carbs clean out gas tank, rewire the whole bike. order all new electrice and the rubber boot for the driveshaft was tore already. then find somene who knows ow to set it all up when i done with all that. i have a feelng this gonna be a long project.