Female Body Armor? - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > First Bike / New Rider

First Bike / New Rider This is the place where new riders can get help from community experts

Old 05-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
Miilamiz
Road Captain

Miilamiz is on a distinguished road
Question Female Body Armor?

Hi there! I am a newbie, going to be taking the beginners course in 2 weeks. I wanted to buy some body armor for myself, but can only seem to find one's for men.

I have looked around my city for any bike shops we may have, but there are none close to my area. And the only one in my town, unfortunately, has nothing but bad reviews on it, so I want to spare myself the disappointment of going there. -.-

I looked on ebay. And, at first I saved a lot of good looking ones in my watch list. But when I went back to look at them, I realized that most of them looked like toys (very noticeable cheap plastic), not ideal for protection, or, the reviews would say the alignment was off.

I've been googling non stop, and can't seem to find good unisex or female armor within my budget. Trying to keep it 100 and under. I find male armor for those prices non stop, so it's kind of frustrating. And here I thought finding my helmet was the worst because the results kept giving me PINK crap -_-....

Does anyone know where I can find full body armor and gear for women, for sports bike riding, at good prices? (Preferably not that overly pink, bubbly, cute, girly kind of stuff x( ) It sucks that women don't tend to bike as much as men because it's hard to find this stuff. :|

Thank you!
Miilamiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #2
V8Thrasher
Shut up and Ride!

V8Thrasher is on a distinguished road

Well for starters.... where do you live?

also, welcome! Good luck to you and keep us posted about your riding progress.

Anyways, regarding your armor, I suggest going to the bike shop near your home and try on what you like. Try on jackets, gloves, helmets, etc. write down the company name if you find something you like, but definitely write down the measurements. Then go online, I suggest companies such as Icon, Dainese, Scorpion, and my personal favorite: Speed and Strength. Find what you like, and order in the measurements you took down.

Good luck!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

You are not likely to find a complete set of quality jacket and pants or a full suit for less than $100. It's just not realistic.

The best prices I have found for gear are in the closeout section at motorcycle gear. If you are not particular about your gear matching perfectly or by having the absolute latest design, you can save a lot of money on quality gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dodsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #4
Miilamiz
Road Captain

Thank you V8Thrasher, I will definitely keep everyone posted!

I live in Toluca Lake California.

Awesome! Thank you !
Old 05-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #5
Miilamiz
Road Captain

Dodsfall, Thank you for your reply. :] I was wondering about that as well, because I was finding a lot of gear in my price range, but it was a concerning issue whether or not they would be good for protection.

I think anything I get should match though because I figured black would be the best choice, haha. It matches everything x)
Old 05-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
Dodsfall
Administrator

I have bought some great deals on name-brand gear (like for 25% of the retail price) but I probably look like a fashion nightmare going down the road. Utility, comfort, price, and quality of protection are more important to me than the look of the gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:30 AM   #7
Miilamiz
Road Captain

That's what I feel as well, I just realllllllly don't want anything girly haha. I made sure my helmet and gloves were all just black so I wouldn't worry about designs and stuff and just focus on whether or not I will be protected. Because I am a very tiny girl, so I know that needs to be my main focus. It's just the budgeting that makes it an issue.

I looked at that link, they have the Alpinestars one that I liked on it.

Is it better to have the body armor for the beginners class? Or should I wait til after?

I am just scared I am going to fall in the course is why :l
Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
V8Thrasher
Shut up and Ride!

V8Thrasher is on a distinguished road

Dont worry about falling, seriously. Since youre tiny as you say, chances are they'll put you on a Honda Rebel. That is THE bike for beginners. 16 hp and what....20lb of torque? Short height so its easily balanced even for the smallest of riders. If you do fall, you wont be DQd, just think of it as added experience.

In regards to your all black gear, keep in mind at night youre less visible to motorists. So I suggest getting gear that has reflective stripes/writing on it somewhere. I applied reflective black tape to the back of my flat black full face helmet, and my HD leather jacket has the Harley Davidson logo in reflective writing.

I know you wanna be fashionable and look good, but keep in mind your safety, especially because you're just getting into motorcycles.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #9
Miilamiz
Road Captain

Oh thank goodness! Ok.

And I didn't think about that at all. o_o Thank you for that. Will definitely get on that!!

Will do!!

Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
Dodsfall
Administrator

There is a chance you might fall in the class, some people do. In our class of 22 people on two different ranges, I believe there were two minor spills over the weekend. When the motorcycle tips over on the range, it's usually at a very low speed. Anything can happen, but people rarely hit hard enough to need armor in the MSF course. The rider(s) that spilled got right back on and finished the course.

My helmet and jacket are black, but both have reflective elements/designs to help light them up a little at night. I'm usually a day rider anyway.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
Jay550
Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a bike

Jay550 is on a distinguished road

I've heard of people who couldn't ride a bicycle OR drive a manual transmission, so balance and a clutch were completely foreign to them. Some still pass. Take your time, don't fear the bike or the fall, keep your eyes on your destination. Where-ever you look, the bike tends to follow, so if you look to the side you're probably going to miss your mark.

Jay550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Miilamiz
Road Captain

@Dodsfall- thank you I didn't realize that having designs was actually a better idea. And that sounds good, about the class.

@Jay- I have been riding a bike to and from everywhere for 5 years, so I am so glad you said that. Makes me feel a lot better. It's actually one of the reasons I felt I would be better off getting a motorcycle rather than a car. I can drive in a car, but I don't feel the same as I do when I'm riding my bicycle.

And thank you for the heads up too
Old 05-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
MONI
Female Rider

MONI will become famous soon enough

Miilamiz, Welcome to the Forum from another Female rider. You can find gender specific gear out there but you sometimes have to look around. I have a Ladies Olympia Mesh Jacket with armor. It is grey. I like the lighter color also because it is cooler for hot summer riding. I also have a pair of leather Chaps. I ride a cruiser. Most cruiser riders that I've seen don't have the full body suits. But I've seen those on some of the female sport bike riders so I know they can be had. I agree with you, I don't care for the pink girlie stuff.

For the BRC I had boots, full finger leather gloves, a helmet and my mesh jacket.
MONI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
Miilamiz
Road Captain

Thank you Moni

I'm glad to also have a woman's in put. I will keep looking around. Plan on walking around town today to see what I can possibly find. Or not find, but, keeping it positive, haha.

And I can't stand the girly stuff. I hate pink with a passion. I grew up hanging out with guys so I don't care for too much of the girly stuff. But here and there I do something girly....Just don't want it on my motorcycle or the gear haha.

Are combat boots with studs on the tip ok? (I'm not trying to be fashionable) but it is what I have in my closet already. I have a pair of wedge boots, but I think the class says not to wear those.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
casilver

casilver is on a distinguished road

Try a couple of big stores with a lot of armored clothing, such as Berts Mega Mall in Covina, or Chaparral Motorports in San Bernardino. Closer to home, you can probably find a Cycle Gear store, but their selection won't be as big.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
MONI
Female Rider

Our course required no "heels" over 2 inches. I have a pair of leather Harness boots that I wear. I would think the combat boots would be fine. Good Luck with that course.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #17
UBERK
Yo Soy Tu Papi...

UBERK will become famous soon enough

Alpinestars has a line for Females.... Stella.
UBERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #18
Miilamiz
Road Captain

To casilver: Do you know of any stores like that near Burbank? I am borderline Burbank. I don't have a car or anyone who can take me with one . We have bicycle shops, but I've called most of them and they don't have any gear. I do have a pep boys. But when I went to purchase a helmet from there they were all scuffed up. The fabric inside the helmet was torn, etc. The only motorcycle store in Burbank is a Kawasaki store, but all of the reviews basically warn you to stay away from it. Haha.

Thank you Moni!

To Uberk: I definitely like the alpinstars, I might just wait a couple paychecks and see if I can get one.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #19
casilver

casilver is on a distinguished road

The closest Cycle Gear to you is in Canoga Park.The best deals can be had on their in-house brand products, called BILT, but they also sell other popular brand names as well. Check them out online www.cyclegear.com. It's worth a visit to the store see what they have on sale and on clearance. They carry helmets, boots, clothing, gloves, tires, accessories, etc... it's like a mini candy store for bikers if you can't make it to Berts or Chaparral. I also like the Harley stores, but they are Harley specific (branded) and much more expensive.

Last edited by casilver; 05-28-2013 at 06:08 PM..
casilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #20
chefonahonda
Lead, follow or get out of the way. Life Is Good!

chefonahonda is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum. Competition Accessories has had some nice gear at good prices for me. See them on line. Ride Safe.
chefonahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #21
murphyshuman
Rough Writer

murphyshuman is on a distinguished road

You said you have bicycle stores, look for downhill mountain bike gear, the knee and elbow pads are the same gear as for motorcycles. You could wear knee/shin guards under jeans and maybe a set of shoulder/elbow pads under a jacket for the short term.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #22
Oldman47
Rough Writer

Oldman47 will become famous soon enough

Let's go for it. I spent well over $100 for my summer jacket. It is a Joe Rocket mesh design for someone my size and has a liner that would let me use it down to maybe 55F. My winter riding jacket cost me close to $400 and is a HD FXRG which is good to about 25F for me. I am a man, not a woman so sex differences do not enter into my cost. I bought the same model Joe Rocket for my wife, in her size, and it works for her as protection. I have never owned protective pants so I have no opinion there. My 3/4 helmet from HJC cost me about $115 and today I bought my wife the equivalent helmet in her size. Let me state clearly, there is no such thing as cheap riding gear that is effective, regardless of gender. If you value your skin, you will spend whatever it takes to get the protection that you want. Gloves can easily cost over $50, even for summer weight.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #23
RonK
Very Famous Person

RonK will become famous soon enough

--

Miil,

First off, you should know that Moni is just a female impersonator. I know this because I've tasted her apple pies and they aren't anything at all like my grandmother's.

As to clothing, I have purchased much of my gear from on-line outfits like Dennis Kirk, or Motorcycle Superstore, or Cruiser Customizing, or even Leatherup. It's true that some people have trouble with some like Leatherup, but if it works out, their prices are half what other places are for the "brand" names. If you look at my avatar, almost everything in it was purchased from them.

That doesn't go, necessarily for helmets. You really need to try them on to get one that fits you right.

Whatever you do get, remember that you'll be wearing it all day, so make sure it's not something clunky or uncomfortable (like real heavy boots).

--

Do I have it together yet?
RonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #24
Miilamiz
Road Captain

Thank all of you guys!!! Sorry I've been gone for a hot minute :| work!!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #25
MONI
Female Rider

So, have you taken the class yet, did you find some good gear?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #26
Miilamiz
Road Captain

I have taken the written portion for the class, and passed the written test Taking the riding class on saturday and sunday. I decided not to buy gear for now, because I really want to ride, but I should wait til I know if I can ride before I spend too much $_$ on all the gear.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #27
MONI
Female Rider

Good decision. Good Luck with the class!!
Old 06-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #28
Miilamiz
Road Captain

thank you!