1995 Sportster speedometer problem - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturers > Harley Davidson and Buell

Old 04-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Tobacco Road
Rough Writer

Tobacco Road is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 Sportster speedometer problem

Got a friend, a non forum guy, drives a 95 1200 Sportster. His speedometer is way out of whack, if the speedometer is reading 60 mph he said he's going more like 80 to 85 mph. Bought the bike new claims to have never made any changes on the sprockets etc. Says the speedo just keeps getting worse and worse. Dealer told him it will cost several hundred dollar to make the repair and that he would have to get inside the case to make the fix. Anyone have this problem and if so were you able to get it fixed without needing a bank loan? Something doesn't seem right..
Tobacco Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Eye_m_no_angel
Super Moderator

Eye_m_no_angel is a jewel in the rough

I don't have my Sportster manual in front of me but I think he has the electronic speedometer, yes? If so, ask him if the turn signals are working and self cancelling correctly when the bike is running. If they are doing anything different then what they are supposed to it could be the turn signal module, or it could be an over voltage situation from the voltage regulator. If the turn signals and lights on the gauges are all happily doing their things it could then be the VSS on the transmission. If I recall this is just a magnetic sensor and can be replaced from outside the transmission but as I said, I don't have the manual in front of me right now. It could also be a faulty ground from the speedo to the wiring harness. If your friend doesn't have an answer by next week I'll be glad to look it up for you. Several hundred dollars sounds like a price to replace the whole speedo and wiring and everything. Hopefully that's not what he needs.
Eye_m_no_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Eye_m_no_angel
Super Moderator

Curiosity killed the cat.....

I just looked and the VSS can be changed out without going into the case or taking out the transmission. It's held in by one allen screw and should be behind the rear cylinder, and the wiring connector is probably behind the side cover or under the seat. (I don't work on Sportsters very often so I don't remember alot about them.) Since they're magnetic Hall effect sensors a little bit of metal sludge could cause it not to read correctly, so if he can get to it without having to take off the oil tank he could try removing it and cleaning it off first.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
Tobacco Road
Rough Writer

Thanks for the help Eye. He took the bike to a local dealer and got it back Friday. Wouldn't tell me the cost but did say there were some bad wires and a sensor they had to replace. I think he got taken to the cleaners hence his embarrassment. Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Eye_m_no_angel
Super Moderator

Shoot, I wish I had seen this thread before he took it in.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
Tobacco Road
Rough Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye_m_no_angel View Post
Shoot, I wish I had seen this thread before he took it in.
Eye, I appreciate all your input, really do. Between the two of us the time needed to work on our bikes is limited and my friend has no problem with money, he just hates to spend it. I try to be a little more judicious and would have waited till time was available but he's very impatient and inclined to throw greenbacks at most problems. He beats up his bank account, I usually break my knuckles. Such is life.