Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Anything other than motorcycles

Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #1
guzziguy
Banned

guzziguy is on a distinguished road
Default Dash Cams

Was a bit bored tonight and looking at random clips on youtube, and ended up looking at clips of dangerous riding, driving, road rage.
I'm amazed at the number of these incidents that are caught on dash mounted camera's.
One particular incident which took place in Australia captured a man in a pick up truck chasing after another driver and ramming him,
No matter which way that driver turned to escape, the thug followed and continued his tirade of abuse and assualt.
This was all caught on the victims dash cam, and the police were able to prosecute based on that evidence alone.
Can you imagine the lengthy investigations that would have to have taken place without that evidence, or the testimony of witnesses,
It would have been his word against another driver, and in situations like that, the Police rarely find enough evidence to get a firm basis for an arrest,
Doubtless that thug may have got away with it.
Now this got me thinking,
Dash cams.
What a good idea.
Kind of like a black box for your vehicle.
Maybe something that would be a good idea for manufacturers to offer as optional equipment,
Something that just records in a loop over a couple of days, so no need to reset each time,
If dangerous drivers and aggressive thugs knew that the other vehicle was recording their every move, I wonder if it would have an impact on this type of behaviour.
I suspect it might.
Here's the clip I'm referring too.
guzziguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 01-27-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
CaptCrashIdaho
Super Moderator

CaptCrashIdaho will become famous soon enough

Cars are already equipped with black boxes. See http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2255110.html for more. Americans are not used to government mandate CCTV surveillance and have no government monitored "Ring of Steel" around any of our cities.

Gatso type cameras are used in some cities but only for stop sign infractions (to the best of my knowledge).

Recently an American insurance company started offering discounts if you allowed them to attach a monitor to your vehicle to evaluate your driving skills. I researched this a bit and it is an accelerometer that they use to measure braking. The idea being if you're always slamming on the binders you've got attention problems or follow too closely.

Wild huh?
CaptCrashIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
hogcowboy
Patriot Guard Rider & American Legion Rider

hogcowboy is on a distinguished road

It's not a terribly bad idea. With technology today cameras are very small. So you could have one completely out of site. After a few road rage cases nail so jerks you might see some changes. Of course it could also show you at fault. Again, maybe that would be good. Nothing like having proof that you are the problem to open your eyes.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
jrswanson1
Rough Writer

jrswanson1 is on a distinguished road

GoPro cameras seem like a good idea on bikes, especially if you commute on them. They're not just for people showing off.
jrswanson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
murphyshuman
Rough Writer

murphyshuman is on a distinguished road

Ummmm, Why didn't I know about the "black boxes"! Not sure I like it.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
Eye_m_no_angel
Super Moderator

Eye_m_no_angel is a jewel in the rough

I prefer a handgun over a camera.

A camera might help prosecute your attacker after he decises he's done attacking you.

A handgun might stop the attack before it turns deadly for you or others.
Eye_m_no_angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
guzziguy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye_m_no_angel View Post

A camera might help prosecute your attacker after he decises he's done attacking you.

And when guns are freely available, you have a good chance the attacker will be armed too, and then you have yourself a shootout, taking your chances of survival to 50/50.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
CaptCrashIdaho
Super Moderator

Handgun, hatchet, hammer or hands...

I'm betting Eye_
Old 01-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
guzziguy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrashIdaho View Post
Handgun, hatchet, hammer or hands...

I'm betting Eye_
Have you ever servied in the Police of armed forces.
My guess is not.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
Kaz71
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Kaz71 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye_m_no_angel View Post

You guys are lucky to have the stand your ground law down there. Even though I posses a CCW out of Florida, in NJ I can't exercise my right. But I live very close to PA and PA honors my CCW.

Road rage in general. I keep my distance and follow after I get flipped off by some fool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 VN1700 Classic
Cobra speedster slash downs
Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro Tune
Floorboard foot pegs
Dark smoke wind screen
Chrome radar detector mount
K&N air filter
Wolo Bad Boy chrome air horn
HID head light
Kaz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
guzziguy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz71 View Post
You guys are lucky to have the stand your ground law down there. Even though I posses a CCW out of Florida, in NJ I can't exercise my right. But I live very close to PA and PA honors my CCW.

Road rage in general. I keep my distance and follow after I get flipped off by some fool.
The best course of action in any situation like this is to distance yourself from it as quickly as possible.
Bruce Lee said that.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
Kaz71
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzziguy View Post
The best course of action in any situation like this is to distance yourself from it as quickly as possible.
Bruce Lee said that.
For some people, yea. For others that become the victum of it and the provoker not adhearing to the old saying "One day you are going to say something to the wrong person". I'm that wrong person.

I don't provoke it more, and I comply with all laws when it comes to self defense. Simply stated, I like to give closure to the provoker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 VN1700 Classic
Floorboard foot pegs
Dark smoke wind screen
K&N air filter
HID head light
Old 01-27-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
Critter
Cruising the retirement highway

Critter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My guess is not.
Never servied, but did spend 23 years in the Navy does that count?
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
CaptCrashIdaho
Super Moderator

Quote:
My guess is not.
Three words: Type One Diabetes.

DQ'd.

My pop did his turn in the day and my brother as well. I have nothing but the highest regard for those who have, do and will service...

Although you make it tough to feel good about the Royal branch...

Good to see this thread where it and several others probably deserve to be.

Last edited by CaptCrashIdaho; 01-27-2013 at 06:08 PM..
Old 01-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
Kaz71
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Quote:
And when guns are freely available, you have a good chance the attacker will be armed too, and then you have yourself a shootout, taking your chances of survival to 50/50.
If that guy tried pulling that crap in Florida (jumping on the hood and breaking the windsheild) you have the right to protect yourself with deadly force.

In Florida, your car is also considered your domain. "Castle Doctrine Law".

From what I saw in the video, that guy was clearly trying to break into this guys car. The windsheld was breaking and giving way. Double tap to the chest is perfectly legal in some states that recognize the "right to protect yourself aka stand your own ground law".

This isn't Australia where our guns were taken away from us, as goes Britian.

2011 VN1700 Classic
Floorboard foot pegs
Dark smoke wind screen
K&N air filter
HID head light
Old 01-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #16
guzziguy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz71 View Post
This isn't Australia where our guns were taken away from us, as goes Britian.
Some years ago, a young Japanese couple were on honeymoon in Texas, and strayed onto a farmers land.
They stopped a man to ask directions as they were lost, and as it turned out, he was the land owner and he was armed.
He opened fire on both of them, killing the Woman instantly, and fatally wounding the man, who died some time later.
Now if you know anything about the Japanese, you'll know that there is virtually nothing as unthreatening as a lost Japanese tourist.
It was an act of blatent racism, for which the killer was not charged, as the tourists were technically trespassing.
This is why I hate guns, and I thank god I live in a country where the likihood of being shot while out for a walk in the city, ie virtually zero, and I can send my kids to school, confident in the knowledge that they will not be massacred by some lunatic deemed fit to own assault weapons.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #17
CaptCrashIdaho
Super Moderator

Quote:
Some years ago, a young Japanese couple were on honeymoon in Texas, and strayed onto a farmers land.
They stopped a man to ask directions as they were lost, and as it turned out, he was the land owner and he was armed.
He opened fire on both of them, killing the Woman instantly, and fatally wounding the man, who died some time later.
Now if you know anything about the Japanese, you'll know that there is virtually nothing as unthreatening as a lost Japanese tourist.
It was an act of blatent racism, for which the killer was not charged, as the tourists were technically trespassing.
This is why I hate guns, and I thank god I live in a country where the likihood of being shot while out for a walk in the city, ie virtually zero, and I can send my kids to school, confident in the knowledge that they will not be massacred by some lunatic deemed fit to own assault weapons.
And it was documented in 1964 aliens mated with humans giving rise to the new race of supermodels....

Citation please.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #18
OldDeadeye
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye

OldDeadeye is a jewel in the rough

No... I saw that movie, there was a big guy with a chainsaw........

OldDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #19
Castle81
Severed Head

Castle81 is on a distinguished road

I could use some info on that story on the japanese couple as well. As a lifelong Texas native, i find it odd I've never heard of this. Google fails also. I can promise you the news wires in Austin, San Antonio, Houston and Dallas would have picked up something that controversial, unless the story predates both myself and the internet.

As for the rage-driver, I find it hard to believe someone that bent hasn't had a few run-ins with the law before this, or shown some other sign of being unstable. Either way, yeah, that man has no idea how badly acting like that would work out for him. As many guns as we may have, there's just as many if not more good Samaritans, current and former servicemen, and others that become generally unpleasant when faced with situations like that.

My god, what a lunatic...
Castle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #20
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrashIdaho View Post
Gatso type cameras are used in some cities but only for stop sign infractions (to the best of my knowledge).
Chicago has a multitude of police cameras that surveil the streets. They are called PODs.

As to how effective they are, it's unclear. They have the strictest gun laws in the nation and probably the highest amount of surveillance on the public. They also have the highest violent crime and murder rates.

Speaking of violent crime, Great Britain's violent crime rate per capita is currently 4 times higher than the US violent crime rate.

Dodsfall is online now   Reply With Quote