How to clean rust from a gas tank - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Repair, Building, and Restoration > How To

How To A forum for ideas and tips on how to make it happen

Old 12-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Talonz82
Verified

Talonz82 is on a distinguished road
Default How to clean rust from a gas tank

I have read several suggestions on how to clean the inside of a rusty fuel tank. Here is my method which came to me while working part time in a dive shop. As an avid scuba diver our air tanks must be cleaned and certified routinely.

Find a local dive shop that tumbles (cleans) air tanks. Purchase a quart jar of scuba tank tumbling media, it is a very hard substance in pieces that resemble mouse droppings. It is dustless and will not break down under harsh chemical conditions. No dive shops, its available on-line.

Drain the tank of any remaining liquids, fill about a 3rd full with water, my tank is 3.2 gallons so I put in a gallon, then add 2 cups of media, then shake, shake, shake! (I sometimes add a cap full of simple green as well to help with fuel resin build-up) You should drain through a screen so you can re-use this media, the media is large enough not to get lodged in tight corners, is dustless, washes clean with water.

If you don't plan on using the tank right away once the tank is empty and blown out with an air hose I take a cup of clean engine oil and coat the inside to prevent any flash rust, you can always rinse that with clean fuel prior to installation, or try some of the many coat and seal products which have been mentioned here.

Let me know if you have any questions, if its good enough for breathable oxygen, its good enough for our fuel tanks.
Talonz82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 12-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

That sounds like a great idea.

I wonder if there is a way to attach the tank to some sort of shaker to make the process less manual. Maybe a paint mixer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dodsfall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
Talonz82
Verified

Talonz82 is on a distinguished road

I have thought about this also, I think a paint shake might be a little too violent, possibly design some sort of rotissiere that you could clamp it in that rolls it over and over.
Talonz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
buellosaurusrex
Super Moderator

buellosaurusrex is on a distinguished road

Sounds like an interesting technique. Thanks for sharing!
buellosaurusrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
ProDigit
Banned

ProDigit is on a distinguished road

Instead of engine oil, use WD40, or Corrosion x.
Corrosion X has been performing a lot better than WD40 with me.
You can also use Sea Foam. Sea Foam is harmless and will be absorbed by the gasoline and burned.
It's also a fuel stabilizer, so a bit of water won't harm the engine.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Badlands-4-2
Super Moderator

Badlands-4-2 has a spectacular aura about

I have never heard of this technique, but then again scuba diving in North Dakota is not the most popular sport. Thanks for the tip.
Badlands-4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
BrandStrand
Verified

BrandStrand is on a distinguished road

I've heard of pennies being used in a similar technique. I was going to try it out, but I was scared of not being able to get them back out due to a lip on the inside.

I would be more comfortable using things the size of small Ball Bearings so they can just come out of the fuel tap (Once it is removed that is)
BrandStrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
jrswanson1
Rough Writer

jrswanson1 is on a distinguished road

Screws work, too.
jrswanson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
Hondaxl250250

Hondaxl250250 is on a distinguished road

Use electrolysis, i used it on a totally rusted on the inside of my gas tank, took the rust off within four hours of using it. seal the gas tank after you remove all the gas out of it. then you need arm and hammer wash powder and put that in with the water i believe its a table spoon per gallon. make sure you have solid connection points with your gas tank and your battery charger. connect the ground to anywhere on the gas tank then put the piece of steel into the water making sure it does not touch any part of the gas tank, turn it on and let it go. should clear it right out
Hondaxl250250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
The Castrater

The Castrater is on a distinguished road

i've attached a tank to a electric cement mixer to tumble it. but the dive stuff sounds better then a bunch of nuts and bolts
The Castrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
jag13
Ghost in the machine

jag13 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaxl250250 View Post
Use electrolysis, i used it on a totally rusted on the inside of my gas tank, took the rust off within four hours of using it. seal the gas tank after you remove all the gas out of it. then you need arm and hammer wash powder and put that in with the water i believe its a table spoon per gallon. make sure you have solid connection points with your gas tank and your battery charger. connect the ground to anywhere on the gas tank then put the piece of steel into the water making sure it does not touch any part of the gas tank, turn it on and let it go. should clear it right out
I have read about doing this on so many different threads/sites, makes me want to buy a bike with a rusty tank just to try it.
jag13 is offline   Reply With Quote