DR350 no spark :( - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturers > Suzuki

Old 09-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
sbrmechanic
Verified

sbrmechanic is on a distinguished road
Default DR350 no spark :(

I believe its the ignition coil because when i pulled on it to try to get it out it basically just crumbled(where the line connects to the spark plug boot), when i do get a new one, will i need the battery to be plugged in when trying to start? it is a kick start but i dont know much about it im trying to learn how everything works.
sbrmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 10-05-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
mitchberry
Powder Coating Service Austin Texas

mitchberry is on a distinguished road

ooph... simple questions, complicated answers because there are so many variables to consider.

what year is that bike?

... as for the battery thing, kick start or not, it moooost likely has a stator... not a magneto, and will in fact require a battery to make it spark.

consider this too for the record.

if the coil wires crumbled to crap, it's more than likely that you will have (possibly several) other bad wires, that will need to be replaced...

so, start from the front, work your way back, check every freakin wire, and replace as necessary with the correct type of wire. or.. just buy a better harness.

as for coils, if you have trouble finding a NEW coil, i wouldn't recommend buying a used one for your bike specifically..

generally speaking, just about ANY coil from ANY bike (of that generation ) will work on it.. for one of my old bikes, i actually put two small block chevy 350 coils on it. worked better than stock... nice bright spark, the only issue was having to create a mount for it.

OEM replacements for my bike were close to 300$. i went to autozone and spent 60 for the pair i think lol...

just make sure the wiring is similar... and you will have to get a few nipples off of the end of some car spark plugs and put them on your motorcycle plugs.. but that's an incredibly minor set back that really has no consequence.

anyway, it sucks that no one answered this sooner for you. if you still need help, post away, i'll see what i can do.
mitchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
sbrmechanic
Verified

sbrmechanic is on a distinguished road

thank you so much man, i have been busy and havent had a chance to work on the bike but im starting to now, im still curiouse about the battery and weather it needs a super good charge to start the bike or not, and the bike is a 91 i believe, is there anything on the bike that would tell me exactly?
sbrmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
mitchberry
Powder Coating Service Austin Texas

mitchberry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrmechanic View Post
thank you so much man, i have been busy and havent had a chance to work on the bike but im starting to now, im still curiouse about the battery and weather it needs a super good charge to start the bike or not, and the bike is a 91 i believe, is there anything on the bike that would tell me exactly?
well.. you're about to get REALLY familiar with your wiring harness.

so... If the battery has been dead for a while, it will not charge to its possible capability.. i.e. if its been dead for a month it needs to be replaced.

sometimes that fixes the problem, if not, your stator may be out, your CDI may be out if it has CDI (probably does) if it doesn't then, points may be bad, coils may be bad, computer may be bad if it has one (probably does if its a 91), could be a bunch of different things.

if it isn't getting spark, the first place to start is with the battery, then change the plugs.

test the plugs, ouside of the motor by grounding them to metal and see if they spark when you turn the motor over with the starter or kick start, whichever.

if so then problem solved and you can move onto the carbs.

if not, then test the charge going TO the coils. if it has power to the coils, and its not sparking, coils are bad. if no charge, then trace the wires and see if there is a cut in one of them. if not, then check power coming from the alternator.

if not then check the wire that feeds power TO the alternator. if it has power but no power is coming out then the alternator is bad..

i say alternator, but it could be a stator or magneto depending upon the bike.

its a bad habit of mine to use the words interchangeably. but everyone knows what an alternator is.

if there is no power to that, then check the key switch... just because lights come on doesn't mean the power to the motor is working.

also check the CDI, or replace it..

could be the electronic ignition system in motor or control box (cdi)

if it's none of those things, then you are in for a lot of hell beyond what you have already been through.

either way, you can replace all of those things, but when you get used ones on ebay, there's a good chance they aren't any better than what you're taking off. about a 50/50 chance generally.

im sure im forgetting something, but that's a good start and will keep you occupied for a while.

if you figure out why it isn't sparking, then you have to clean the carb...

and by clean, i don't mean spray b-12 chemtool in it... that stuff DESTROYS rubber and will eat all of the O-rings and gaskets, gromets, and destroy your carb and render it useless. it's best to take it off and have it Ultra-sonic cleaned somewhere, or, i've seen people boil it in lemon juice... that works too but doesn't disolve 100% of the gunk..

and something 1/10th the size of this --> . <-- stuck in there will keep your bike from running right.

we'll touch on carbs when you get to that point.

Last edited by mitchberry; 10-09-2012 at 12:40 PM..
mitchberry is offline   Reply With Quote