Engine Oil Type for 00 Suzuki GSX750F - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturers > Suzuki

Old 07-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
suzukisoul
Verified

suzukisoul is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Oil Type for 00 Suzuki GSX750F

Ok so I saw somewhere that I'm not supposed to use a motorcycle oil with API SJ/SL/SM ratings, that I am supposed to go with SF/SG. But I could not find a straight answer anywhere online, thus leading me here. I have Castrol 10w-40 Power RS Racing 4T. Its API is SL/JASO MA-2. I have not put it in cause I am still sketched about the post I saw about not using SL/SJ/SM. Can anyone tell me if it's safe to use the oil I have or why I cannot use SL/SJ/SM API rated oils?

Thanks again.

to look up the post, go to google, type in '10 basic katana upgrades', its the first link. on that page its the third upgrade.
suzukisoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 07-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

The JASO MA-2 rating means it's safe to use with a wet clutch.

My guess is that at the time the motorcycle was built, SF/SG was the latest standard for oil. SL/SJ/SM are simply later standards and are backwards-compatible to the older guidelines.

Whoever said you couldn't use later standards than when the motorcycle was built has got their information wrong. The only real way to avoid that is to stock up on a lifetime supply of oil when the motorcycle is new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dodsfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #3
WintrSol
Rough Writer

WintrSol is on a distinguished road

API doesn't have a motorcycle rating, only JASO does. As long as the oil isn't the energy-conserving kind, which will interfere with your clutch, you can use it. There can be some differences between oils for auto engines and those rated for motorcycles, mostly because auto oils don't have to tolerate transmission gear forces. Oils meant for Diesel engines do see those forces, which is why Rotella T6 now has a JASO rating for motorcycles. Whether those forces create significant changes over the time your oil is in the engine is up for debate.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
suzukisoul
Verified

suzukisoul is on a distinguished road

thanks for the replies. I confirmed through some research that SF/SG are now obsolete ratings, that the additives can only effect the clutch slipping, and as long as it says motorcycle oil, Im good. thanks again
suzukisoul is offline   Reply With Quote