Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > Cruiser Forum

Cruiser Forum Compare notes with other cruiser riders

Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
cardinal sin
Motorcyclist

cardinal sin is on a distinguished road
Default LS 650 Savage Carb issues

Hi, I recently bought my son a Suzuki LS650 Savage on an 03 plate and I am having a problem with the carb. Firstly the bike is difficult to start but more seriously it is dumping fuel out of the carburetor breather tubes when the engine is revved, it seems as if the floats are stuck allowing the float bowl to overfill and dump the fuel out of the breathers. I have had the carburetor to pieces and checked the floats they appear to be moving freely and don't appear to be sticking at all, I thought that it might be the needle valve assembly so I checked that too and it seems ok, I have ordered a carb repair kit and i am currently waiting for that to arrive. I just wondered whether anyone else has had the same or a similar problem and how they managed to resolve it.
cardinal sin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 02-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
LWRider
Challenged Mechanic

LWRider is on a distinguished road

That is definitely a float valve or float problem. Do you have a hole in your float, perhaps? The valve seat needs to be really clean, I mean shiny clean. Take some metal polish and clean it well with a q-tip. The litle rubber tip of the valve should not have a ring around it; it should be a perfect cone.

Best thing to do is pull the carb and dissasemble completely, removing all the rubber bits and the slide/diaphram. Immerse the carb and parts in cleaner. I use a basket strainer dip. Clean all jet orifices with nylon fishing line, then blow compressed air through everything, including air passages. Reassemble and remount.

Cheers,

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
cardinal sin
Motorcyclist

Default carb issues

Thanks Mike, I will give that a try, I cant see any holes in the floats but I will take another look. I have ordered a carb repair kit and will replace everything. I will let you know what happens. I have taken a look at the little rubber tip of the float valve and it does appear to have a ring around it where it could be worn
Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
cardinal sin
Motorcyclist

I have done all of that and replaced the float valve and it hasn't made any difference, petrol still floods the float bowl and comes out of the two breather tubes, I have tried adjusting the floats but I only succeed in either cutting off the fuel altogether or maintaining the original problem, I can't seem to hit that spot where everything works as it should. I can only assume now that it is the float height that is wrong does anyone know what the setting is supposed to be? Please help
Old 02-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
LWRider
Challenged Mechanic

Float height should be 26.95-28.95 mm (1.06-1.114in) measure from the carb body to the bottom of the float with the valve just closed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
cardinal sin
Motorcyclist

Thanks Mike, I will try that and let you know the result.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
cardinal sin
Motorcyclist

Still had no joy with any of your advice Mike, so I disassembled everything and sat down to think for a while, the problem had to be the floats everything else was working as it should, I decided to see if the floats would actually float so I put them in some water and sure enough they floated and then I thought I wonder if they float in petrol, water has a higher density than petrol so I put them in some petrol and guess what? They sank! I guess the problem is that the floats are busted or they are the wrong floats for that carburetor, I have ordered some new ones from my local Suzuki dealer (£21 that's about $45 by my reckoning) anyway I am expecting them on Thursday, I will keep you posted as to the outcome, thanks for all of your advice anyway Mike.
Cheers
Stu.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
LWRider
Challenged Mechanic

Well, at least you are onto something there. My bet is you pop the new one in and the thing roars to life.

Cheers,

Mike

Old 03-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
cardinal sin
Motorcyclist

Hi Mike just to let you know, I put the new float in and put the carb back together and sure enough the bike fired first time and no flooding issues to report. Thanks for all of the advice. Will keep you posted.
Cheers
Stu
Old 03-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
LWRider
Challenged Mechanic

Excellent! Great to hear. You'll have fun on that bike. Looks like I will be selling mine as I just picked up another bike.

Cheers,

Mike