Kraus Motor Company builds the Achuma - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycleforum.com > Frontpage Articles

Old 01-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice
Default Kraus Motor Company builds the Achuma

The Achuma is a Shovelhead- equipped streetfighter. It is named after a South American cactus. The bronze-coated frame, chrome engine parts and fuel tank, and black wheels set it apart from many boutique “choppers”.

Satya Kraus, a self-taught custom motorcycle builder, never learned to paint. Kraus says, “Me and paint don’t mix. I never learned to paint; besides, it’s the first thing that goes. Paint never looks good once it gets hammered on, so I’ve developed a style that doesn’t have that issue.” The frame of the motorcycle is plasma-arc coated in real bronze. The welded areas show a rainbow of discoloration that is really quite beautiful.

Kraus works hard to keep the weight down, as evidenced by his minimalistic designs. “I think people tend to overbuild things, to use a lot of metal because they don’t know how much or how little it really takes,” he explains. “They’re adding needless weight, and then suspension, speed and quickness suffer.”

Many custom motorcycles forgo a rear suspension. Let's face it; it's easier to build that way. Being able to ride the machine without the spine-crushing impact of a solid rear end has value. A pair of Foes dampers are used for the rear suspension. The front suspension uses a Foes Racing air shock, originally meant for heavy-duty downhill bicycle racing.

The 93-inch Shovelhead engine produces about 90 horsepower, and is built by S&S.

[BikeExif | Photography by Mike Chase]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dodsfall is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]