Clogged gas tank, old lining is peeling off. How to get it out? - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Repair, Building, and Restoration > Motorcycle Repair

Motorcycle Repair Having trouble fixing your motorcycle? Just lay it out for our shadetree mechanics.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
eirinikos
Verified

eirinikos is on a distinguished road
Default Clogged gas tank, old lining is peeling off. How to get it out?

Hey guys

Looks like once upon a time somebody coated the inside of my gas tank with some kind of lining which is now coming loose from the walls of the tank.

From what I can tell, it's forming some kind of suction on the petcock opening and preventing the gas from coming out.

I'm not sure what it is, but I'm thinking there has to be some kind of solution you could put in there to dissolve it.

Can you guys point me in the right direction?
eirinikos is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 12-11-2011, 07:49 AM   #2
markk53
Rough Writer

markk53 has a spectacular aura about

I had Kreem do this in my old SR500, with the tank rusting again. I was able to get ahold of some of it with pliers and pull it out. From there, I took the tank to a radiator/fuel tank repair shop that "boiled out" the tank and recoated it with the RedKote hard shell liner they use, along with soldering up some holes.

The one thing they didn't guarantee was that the paint could be damaged, so you should be ready for a repaint if necessary. They did tanks for the dealership where I worked and there was no problem with paint damage, but they would not guarantee it.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
drunk
Verified

drunk is on a distinguished road

you can take it and get it hottanked
drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
LWRider
Challenged Mechanic

LWRider is on a distinguished road

I once cleaned a tank that had POR 15 (a tank liner) in it and used muriatic acid, which made the old liner come out in big chunks. Not sure how Kreem would react.

Cheers,

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote