What is the best month to buy a motorcycle? - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > First Bike / New Rider

First Bike / New Rider This is the place where new riders can get help from community experts

Old 08-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
Innate

Innate is on a distinguished road
Default What is the best month to buy a motorcycle?

Okay, so I've just passed my BRC, and now, I'm thinking about buying a bike.

I have heard that the prices drop significantly during the winter, but I don't know if it's in my best interest to buy one and leave it parked in a garage until the weather lightens up.
Innate is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
4Raven
Super Moderator

4Raven has a spectacular aura about

I would think that prices would be better in the winter....not too close to Xmas though...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is liable to go to places no one has ever been before. - Albert Einstein
4Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
goatbot
Verified

goatbot is on a distinguished road

Prices are usually better the winter but there's also a guy making a post somewhere, "what's the best month to sell my bike". So, you can find slightly lower prices in the off season and a little more room for haggling at a dealership but the a lot of bikes don't come to market until the weather is good so they will fetch a better price.

Best bet is to just be always be on the lookout since a good deal on the right bike can happen at any time of the year.
goatbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
ridemx
Verified

ridemx is on a distinguished road
Default buy a bike

it depends where you are located i think you get beter deals in the summer where i live im in arizona but on the east coast i think it is more to buy a bike in the summer
ridemx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
markk53
Rough Writer

markk53 has a spectacular aura about

Fact is a high demand bike will not get any better pricing in the winter. If the dealer knows they will sell out, they aren't going to play too much. I will tell you dealers sell out on the 250s too.

Then there is the fact that it seems riders now are less inclined to not shop in the winter. They seem willing to buy whenever.

Last thought, there is very little margin on any of the 250s, so you aren't looking at hundreds, maybe one or two, but little more if any. And again, if they know they can sell them in a month or two at full list, they're less willing to play with pricing. They know winter isn't the end of the world.

But it never hurts to try.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
murphyshuman
Rough Writer

murphyshuman is on a distinguished road

any month with a vowel in it.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 AM   #7
Jesterrace

Jesterrace is on a distinguished road

It varies by location but I have found in my area that the best time to buy a bike is between mid July and mid September (in other words right now). The reason being is that people are starting to dump their bikes at the end of riding season, but there is still a good selection of bikes out there. There are some great winter deals as well but your selection tends to be more limited and the weather can make checking out a bike kind of miserable and iffy about riding it home. The best time to sell on the other hand is between mid April and mid June as people are paying top dollar at the beginning of riding season. As such I plan my buying and selling accordingly. As for sitting, a bike if you own it for any length of time, is going to sit during a winter at some point. As long as you store it properly (ie battery tender and fuel stabilyzer) you will be in great shape.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
markk53
Rough Writer

markk53 has a spectacular aura about

The real trick is if you can find a pending divorce where you can cash in on someone liquidating quickly. I've heard of more incredible deals made when someone either is liquidating or needs money for a split up.

It's one of those "being in the right place at the right time" things that I never seem to encounter, but know of quite a few people who have. It's a networking thing. If you know one of those "go to" guys, they may be able to help you out. You know, the guys who have the cash and are always horse trading, they get a reputation for being the guy to "go to" when you want to sell something off. I know a few now. A neighbor always seems to be falling into those things with cars.

I guess I did hit the right place and time once with that neighbor. We were sitting on his porch and a guy who used to own his house, but now lives down the road, came walking by. He stops and says "Hey Jim, you're always looking for some car. I'm going to sell my Prelude, are you interested?" Jim wasn't, I was - I cashed in on that one. I told Jim when he retired he needed to set up a car locater business, locate cars for people and charge them for the service. He is always combing lots for no particular reason, he just likes to look. Always finds what he wants or helps others sometimes, even if it is a few hundred miles away. The guy is like magic.

If you know someone like that, sic 'em on the kind of bike you want. They'll probably find it at the right price.

Last edited by markk53; 08-09-2011 at 08:19 AM..
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
Mikedero
Master At Arms

Mikedero is on a distinguished road

I noticed the best time to buy is when the new models come out. at least in the harley world, I am heading down to pick up a roadglide Ultra next month
Mikedero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
SpitefulHam

SpitefulHam is on a distinguished road

Another thing effecting when people will sale is insurance requirements. You mentioned sitting, and in Maryland you have to maintain year-round insurance or you get hit with an huge penalty. The insurance companies notify the MVA when you lapse, so there's theoretically no way around it. A lot of people may not want to pay high insurance rates on a bike sitting in their garage over the winter when they're going to just sale it in the spring.
SpitefulHam is offline   Reply With Quote