Suzuki's wont fire. - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Repair, Building, and Restoration > Motorcycle Repair

Motorcycle Repair Having trouble fixing your motorcycle? Just lay it out for our shadetree mechanics.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:15 AM   #1
jonnycool
Motorcyclist

jonnycool is on a distinguished road
Default Suzuki's wont fire.

Hi all,

I have 2 x '97 suzuki's that are exhibiting the same problem. They crank fine with a fully charged battery but will not fire. There just seems to be no spark.

They were both starting fine and then left unloved for about 5-6 weeks. Charged batteries, plenty of rotation but no start. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1 is a GSX250F (across) that has been running perfectly up to the 5-6 week layoff.
2 is a VZ800 Marauder that was running a bit rough and seems to have 1 oily plug. May be up for a rebuild or ????? Would love to eliminate the firing problem first though to help decide on future $$$$ investment.

Thanks again.
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
tazzmadness
Road Captain

tazzmadness is on a distinguished road

hi jonny
i have a gsx and when left for a while the fuel clogs up the pipes to the carb and it wont start
i usually get carb cleaner spray it down the carbs leave for a while then try starting while spraying into the airbox
check also you are getting a spark first if so and if they where running before hand , i would try that
tazzmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
kyles_fxe

kyles_fxe is on a distinguished road

my guess would be you have some bad gas in there gumming stuff up

check and make sure you are getting spark
kyles_fxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:21 AM   #4
jonnycool
Motorcyclist

Thanks for that.....Will hopefully get out to the shed tonight and check for spark.....will report my findings.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
jonnycool
Motorcyclist

Default Added info from rank amateur.

Have been looking at the fuel pump and lines.

The pump will pump fuel with the line disconnected from the point of connection to the carby.

When I connect to carb, the fuel does not flow as viewed at the fuel filter.

Is there back pressure in the system preventing the fuel flow and is this normal? How strong should the flow of fuel be when disconnected? Is it possible the fuel pump is not providing the strength of flow to overcome any back pressure?

If I try an aftermarket fuel pump, can it pump too much fuel and damage/flood the carbs.

Any advise or should I send it to a shop for professional repair?

Cheers again.

Last edited by jonnycool; 07-13-2011 at 05:25 AM..
Old 07-13-2011, 05:52 AM   #6
tazzmadness
Road Captain

get carb cleaner and spray into the carbs let it stand so it can work on the gunged up pipes it will take a bit and when you try firing the bike up also spray into the carbs or airbox if its still on to give it a boost,
you should get a few splutters then it might fire on two cylinders or three if it does find out which one or ones its not firing and clean with the carb cleaner again
its a tedious job but when its done its right
Old 07-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
jonnycool
Motorcyclist

Sorry guys but I am a newbie (and possibly a slow learner).

From the top I can see the diaphram and two needles going down passing through the air chamber. I'd say I need to spray the lower parts of the units as well.

I'm assuming this requires the removal of the carbs from the bike.

I'm having trouble finding a good 'exploded view' diagram in english for the Mikuni BSW27 carb.

Any references would be great.

I'll have to give the shop a good clean B4 working on the carbs.
BTW it's saturday morning here in Australia.....Yeeehaaaa.

Thanks again for the responses so far.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:48 AM   #8
tazzmadness
Road Captain

ok
from the start this is what i do if mine gets the same way
1-take the air filter off
2 - undo the drain nuts at the bottom of the carb to get rid of any dirt or bad fuel
3 - put the nuts back in then from the back of the carb spray the carb cleaner into the air intakes on the carb dont be shy give it a good spray inside them all
4 - leave for half a day or longer for it to disolve any gunge or jellyfied petrol in the pipes or tubes in the carb
5 - make sure the battery is fully charged,, and as its not been left for to long,, but you can always put some fresh petrol in the tank to help, if it had been 3- 6 months i would change it
6 - try starting the bike without the air filter on while spraying carb cleaner into the air intakes on the carb
might need two people depends how long ya arms are lol
7- you should get a few splutters then it might fire if it does start to fire leave it running for a bit to get warm
8 - if no results remove the tank, take the tops off the carbs you can do this while theyre are on the bike if its the same as my gsx remove the the diaphragm and needles , spray carb cleaner down the carbs if you have the extension bit for the carb cleaner put it over any holes or gaps you see and give it a blast also down the hole where the needles slot into leave for a bit to work
9 - carefully check the diaphragm that theres no holes or rips and carefully clean the pistons and needles with carb cleaner in case they were sticking not allowing the fuel to get through
10 - after a while put back together and try again

i hope this helps you
i have done this a few times to mine when i have been away for a couple of months and it has worked for me

Last edited by tazzmadness; 07-16-2011 at 03:51 AM..