Bad Stator? Bike only roll starts... - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 03-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
oldschoolphazer
Verified

oldschoolphazer is on a distinguished road
Default Bad Stator? Bike only roll starts...

Hi, I have an 84 Honda V45 Magna VF700, new battery this spring(didnt charge it but did start the bike with it multiple times). Put the battery started it up rode for a couple weeks. Snow came (1 inch) so I didnt ride it for a week, went to go ride yesterday and the starter just cranks and cranks but no fire. So I roll start it and it fires right up?! Ride for 15 minutes and shut it off, same deal, have to roll start it. Bad stator maybe? Should I go charge the battery when I get home(Away from home at school) Thanks
oldschoolphazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
ScrumDown
Malevolent Savant

ScrumDown will become famous soon enough

Make sure all the wires are clean and have a good connection.

Pull the starter out and test it make sure something ain't sticking.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
CookinBeans

CookinBeans will become famous soon enough

This Forum is full of people who spend the winter idling their bike and wondering why the batttery is low.
Starting your bike and letting it idle until it SMELTS the engine will STILL not charge the battery. The revs have to be up and you have to ride for at lest 25 miles just to regnerate the battery a little bit.

Make sure the terminals are clean and tight, fluid level is between the lines, and >Put a battery tender on it<
CookinBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
Stainlesstehle
A legend in his own mind

Stainlesstehle will become famous soon enough

You say it cranks, so the engine is turning? Yes, try charging the battery, it might not be strong enough to turn engine AND run the ignition system. This is also a common problem with some Japanese cars when the battery is getting low.
Most new batteries need to be charged slowly before being put into service. Also like CookinBeans said invest in a battery tender if you make many short trips or are going to be off for a while.
Stainlesstehle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
DachshundUberAlles

DachshundUberAlles will become famous soon enough

The stator doesn't control the firing. Could be an ignition problem. Valve adjustment can cause hard starting problems as well. When was the last time they were checked?
DachshundUberAlles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
FlyingDuc

Hondas are prone to stator and regulator rectifier problems. They like to die around 50,000 to 60,000 miles.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
ScrumDown
Malevolent Savant

ScrumDown will become famous soon enough

oldschoolphazer .. Is the starter actually cranking the engine or do you just hear the starter motor spin? The answer to this will give us a better idea on which way to pint you.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
Blaine
Rough Writer

Blaine will become famous soon enough

If you can push start the bike but starter will turn the engine over then you are most likely looking at a low battery and the ignition not getting enough amperage with the starter motor running. Starters take a lot of amperage, if your battery doesn’t have a good charge or the battery is getting bad if my not supply the power needed for the ignition system.

As stated before, a new battery should be charged and charged slow. By slow charging a battery you get what is known as a equalizing charge, meaning the battery gets fully charged. Many new batteries have what is known as a surface charge, or they have sat so long that they have lost a percentage of their potential. A good battery tender is an excellent way to keep your batteries at peak performance.
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote