Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > Riders and the Law

Riders and the Law A forum to discuss legal issues of interest to riders

Old 03-06-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
Redneck1861
Verified

Redneck1861 is on a distinguished road
Default OK to run a red light in Oklahoma

Hey guys, I did a search but did not find anything. Sorry if it has already been posted

Here in Oklahoma a few months ago a law was passed regarding motorcycles. I don't have the exact content, but it is basically,

If you are riding a motorcycle and you come to a red light and traffic is clear but the light will not turn green, it is now ok to run the light as long as it is safely done and no cross traffic.
Redneck1861 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 03-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
CharlesW
The Rainmaker

CharlesW is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck1861 View Post
Hey guys, I did a search but did not find anything. Sorry if it has already been posted

Here in Oklahoma a few months ago a law was passed regarding motorcycles. I don't have the exact content, but it is basically,

If you are riding a motorcycle and you come to a red light and traffic is clear but the light will not turn green, it is now ok to run the light as long as it is safely done and no cross traffic.
Congratulations!
This is something I just discussed with the Iowa Public Safety Department.
In Iowa, there is no provision in the code for running a red light under any circumstances. A right turn on red is the only time you can legally go through the red light. An officer might give you a break depending on the situation, but don't plan on it.
FWIW, The official I visited with is a motorcyclist and understands the problem, but that doesn't change the law.
Add to that the increasing use of "Red light cameras" in our area and they gotcha.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Redneck1861
Verified

Redneck1861 is on a distinguished road

The bad part is that, it does not have an ammount of time that you have to wait before you run it. I don't know if you pull up see no cars and just run it, if that you get you a ticket
Redneck1861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
CharlesW
The Rainmaker

CharlesW is on a distinguished road
Default The law as it is written:

d. notwithstanding any other provision of law, the driver of a motorcycle facing any steady red signal may cautiously proceed through the intersection only if:
(1) the motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop as required by subparagraph a of this paragraph,
(2) the traffic control signal is programmed or engineered to change to a green signal only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle and has failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle because of its size or weight, and
(3) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the roadway to be crossed or entered, or the motor vehicle or person is at a distance from the intersection that does not constitute an immediate hazard.
The driver of any vehicle approaching the intersection, which lawfully may enter the intersection, shall have the right-of-way over any motorcycle operator proceeding through a red light and, in no event where an accident results from the driver of the motorcycle proceeding into the intersection on a red light, shall such driver of the vehicle be charged with any violation pursuant to Sections 11-401 and 11-403 of this title relating to failure to yield right-of-way, Section 11-310 of this title relating to following too closely, or Section 11-801 of this title relating to driving too fast for conditions,

As you said, no specific stop duration is specified.
This is vague enough that it will probably take a court case to have a clarification.
The way I read it, about the only ways you would/should get a ticket would be not coming to a complete stop or if it is determined that an approaching vehicle or person constitutes an immediate hazard.
Seems to leave a lot of room for an officer to make the decision.

Almost sounds like some attorney wrote it.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:22 AM   #5
J2H
Newbie Biker

J2H is on a distinguished road

In SC if you wait at a redlight for a MINIMUM of 120 seconds and it doesnt change, you may proceed through (because the sensors may not pick up a motorcycle)... I beleive it still is 120seconds
J2H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
AikinutNY

AikinutNY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default different

There is a difference between "running" a red light and going through on that is malfunctioning.

I will have to check here in NY, but I think there is an allowance for a broke light that will not change. To go straight or make a left turn when the intersection is clear.

You come to an intersection to make a left turn and the indicator arrow never turns for you, maybe two cycles of the light.If your direction has the green light and there is no oncoming traffic you could make the left hand turn.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
JxMAN25
Verified

JxMAN25 is on a distinguished road

im interested to see if they have this law in oregon as well., ill have to look. jesse
JxMAN25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
KMWilliams
Super Moderator

KMWilliams will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxMAN25 View Post
im interested to see if they have this law in oregon as well., ill have to look. jesse

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...wyLawChart.pdf

See page 2. It looks like this chart needs to by updated though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #9
Grimcath

Grimcath is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me you just treat it as a stop sign.

Would be neat to see if this law has even been talked about in Canada, never would have thought of this.
Grimcath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
Young&buckwild
Motorcyclist

Young&buckwild is on a distinguished road

I've always been told when their are malfunctioning traffic signals it is treated as a 4 way stop and each lane takes its turn.
Young&buckwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
:-)
Verified

:-) is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young&buckwild View Post
I've always been told when their are malfunctioning traffic signals it is treated as a 4 way stop and each lane takes its turn.
That's true but if the light works but it is a sensor light your bike may not trip it so it turns green. Ergo, some states allow you to go through it if you wait a certain amount of time.
:-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #12
adrian crow
Verified

adrian crow is on a distinguished road

We need this in PA. I sat at the light to get out of my complex for 15 min yesterday.
adrian crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
Sidewalk
Take it to the track

Sidewalk is on a distinguished road

In California, you can do this.

What happens when you come to a traffic light that is flashing red or completely out (power outage)? You treat it like a stop sign a proceed when safe. That is because the light is malfunctioning.

So if you come up to a light that will not pick up your bike, then it is malfunctioning. YOU DO NOT RUN THE RED LIGHT! You treat it as a malfunctioning traffic light, come to a safe stop, and proceed when it is safe to do so. If you get pulled over you tell the officer that the light is malfunctioning and not changing. If you say you ran the red because it wouldn't pick you up, then you just admitted to running a red light.
Sidewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
pariah_proph
Banned

pariah_proph is on a distinguished road

I'm traveling the off beat path from Atlanta GA to Wyoming, this is useful info, thanks. If anyone knows their own states statute on this matter please post it here, I will try to find out if GA and OH have such laws
pariah_proph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
JasonSK

JasonSK is on a distinguished road

Based on what I could find pariah, GA does allow (you should probably call their state patrol to verify) Ohio does not allow it.
JasonSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #16
CK Bear

CK Bear is on a distinguished road

The state of Kansas just passed the "Dead Red " law. With it you can go throught the red light IF you have waited a resonable amount of time, such as it cycleing through one full time
CK Bear is offline   Reply With Quote