Best place for a rider to retire? - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 12-31-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
vito
Rough Writer

vito is on a distinguished road
Default Best place for a rider to retire?

Next year when my youngest leaves the house I will be able to retire and with all of my older kids gone from this area, and most friends as well, nothing is really here to hold me in Northern Illinois. Anywhere I move to will be far from some of the kids, so I think I may just pick a spot that will be ideal from a riding point of view (I haven't yet discussed this with my wife, so who knows what will really happen?). I hope that some of you out there who have already been through this could make some recommendations as to where the ideal riding location is. I know I don't want to live in the really, really hot parts of the U.S. since the summer heat is almost worse than living with snow and cold. I guess I am dreaming, but I hope to find the right place, and also not be in a high tax area, and not be where my right to carry a firearm will be overly restricted as well. Well, maybe this is just a dream thread.
vito is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 12-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
robow
Ninja Robot

robow will become famous soon enough

Southern California, San Diego not LA. Beautiful weather all year, nice roads, and you will never run out of places to go or things to do.
robow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
greyboyfan

greyboyfan is on a distinguished road

Look at Eastern Arkansas. Mild climate,Cheap to live,Centrally located between the left and right coast, lots of riding time, twisties for excitement, pine trees to view, and carry whatever you want.
greyboyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
ninjaridaz
DOG YELLER

ninjaridaz is on a distinguished road

Illinois is one of the worst places to retire. I would go where there are mountains and cheap taxes.
ninjaridaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
gammaqueen

gammaqueen is on a distinguished road

When I get lucky enought to retire, I'm going to the mountains of either NC, TN, or GA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ness Vision AKA Maj Tom & 1200XLL
gammaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
OldDeadeye
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye

OldDeadeye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaqueen View Post
When I get lucky enought to retire, I'm going to the mountains of either NC, TN, or GA.
I've heard NC is a great retirement spot. The Arkansas-Oklahoma border area would be allright if your not a big city person. Cheap cost of living great mountain roads and our winter is not too bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
OldDeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
CookinBeans

CookinBeans will become famous soon enough

If I had enough money, I'd move to the Bay Area in Northern California. To the North you have the coast breaking up until you get to Vancouver with lots of isnlands and ferries. Watching otters play is the best. Salmon jerky in Oregon, Seattle is gorgeous, Redawoods that are like sitting in a cathedral, and varied roads from mountains to seahore.
Plus, there is a huge vintage snene all the way up the coast, especially in San Francisco and Seattle. Highest cioncentrations of good restaurants, bars and coffee, too.
To the South it gets warme and there's more mountains, Venice Beach, movie stars, desert, etc.

Or- Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia are all in the mountains and a whole new culture. Asheville is a concentration of art and craft, and believe it or not- motorcycle things. Lots of people retiring here, actually- but please don't bring your Northern big city attitudes with you. People who carve a hunk out of a mountain and build a trophy home are hated by natives because we want to see the damn mountain- not your house. Plus, it creates more run-off below that the city council pretends your engineer will prevent but never does.
Otherwise, there is a lot of outdoor activities and sports, art, food (just different), and live musoc- some of the best "pickin'" you can imagine.

Motorcycle-wise, there's everything from Jamie James to vintage BMW shops. Lots of DP places to ride, and even the freeways aren't too bad (except around Charlotte and Atlanta)
CookinBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
marcn
It's all about attitude

marcn is on a distinguished road

Cherokee County NC, nuff said. Short winters,endless twisties and sweepers,mild summers, great fly fishing, great people,rafting,kayaking, everyone owns a gun(well most everyone), what else could you want out of life. ahhhhhhh and there's me!
Old 12-31-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
cardinal

cardinal will become famous soon enough

Stay out of all parts of the nanny state of California!!

Beautiful place to ride but the Libs will tax you to death and drive you nuts!!
cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
markk53
Rough Writer

markk53 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito View Post
Next year when my youngest leaves the house I will be able to retire and with all of my older kids gone from this area, and most friends as well, nothing is really here to hold me in Northern Illinois. Anywhere I move to will be far from some of the kids, so I think I may just pick a spot that will be ideal from a riding point of view (I haven't yet discussed this with my wife, so who knows what will really happen?). I hope that some of you out there who have already been through this could make some recommendations as to where the ideal riding location is. I know I don't want to live in the really, really hot parts of the U.S. since the summer heat is almost worse than living with snow and cold. I guess I am dreaming, but I hope to find the right place, and also not be in a high tax area, and not be where my right to carry a firearm will be overly restricted as well. Well, maybe this is just a dream thread.
West Virginia... close to family and close to Georgia Florida, low cost living versus places like Colorado and California. You could buy homes in WV and in Georgia, maybe even Florida, for less than the cost of some of the small houses in California, being able to be kind of a "snowbird" if you like

If you haven't been there, go for a ride next year. You may discover why their motto is "Almost Heaven"... whoever wrote it was a rider.

Of course this also applies to a lot of the surrounding states like KY, TN, NC, and even eastern OH. They all are great riding areas for 9 of 12 months with minimal cost for homes and great access to some fine riding.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
kirkcdl
Master At Arms

kirkcdl is on a distinguished road

Southern Oregon has a lot of really good riding roads,cost of living is not insane,and the weather is usually pretty mild...For that matter,just about anywhere in the PNW is pretty good...

This'll give you an idea of the riding in Oregon,click on "state index map" on the left...

http://oregonmotorcyclist.com/
kirkcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
Badlands-4-2
Super Moderator

Badlands-4-2 has a spectacular aura about

Why would you want to live in one place? Have a house up here in a Northern state. Maybe by the Black hills or the foot hills of the Rockies? Then spend the winter in the south like Texas of Arizona.
Badlands-4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #13
kat569

kat569 will become famous soon enough

I vote for NC but only because that's where I live and work right now! I'm just west of Charlotte - flat enough for a noob like me, but close enough to the mountains and twisties for me to get to if I choose to do so!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
Rambler

Rambler is on a distinguished road

i like Badlands plan lol
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #15
cardinal

cardinal will become famous soon enough

Take Badlands idea a step further...Motor home pulling a trailer with your bike parked cross wise at the front and a small car's front wheels resting on the back end.

Drive all the kids crazy by popping in unexpectedly and spoil the Grand kids rotten then sneak out under cover of darkness and let the parents deal with them
cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #16
CoolBDPhenom03
NorCal '09 Monster 1100

CoolBDPhenom03 is on a distinguished road

If you're talking straight up retire, San Diego. If you're talking about retiring but still riding, +1 on the SF Bay Area. There are tons of routes, twisties, etc for riders PLUS SF is the most desirable city in which to live in the USA. You will never run out of things to do or discover here.
CoolBDPhenom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #17
CoolBDPhenom03
NorCal '09 Monster 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito View Post
I know I don't want to live in the really, really hot parts of the U.S. since the summer heat is almost worse than living with snow and cold. I guess I am dreaming, but I hope to find the right place, and also not be in a high tax area, and not be where my right to carry a firearm will be overly restricted as well. Well, maybe this is just a dream thread.
Oops, just read this bit...

For weather, you definitely cannot beat California. San Diego is probably the most temperate city in the continental US (otherwise that would be Hawaii). NorCal has sun about 9 months of the year with great weather all the time.

Taxes are high though, I'm not going to lie. Oregon might be a good alternative in that case.

You can get an open carry permit, but California is also pretty hard on gun control laws...but we have LA and Oakland so you see the need. There are absolutely no concealed licenses allowed in the state unless you are military or law enforcement.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #18
kirkcdl
Master At Arms

kirkcdl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03 View Post
There are absolutely no concealed licenses allowed in the state unless you are military or law enforcement.
Not to hijack the thread,but that's not true.California is a "May Issue" state,which means the local Sheriff has total control over who gets a permit and who does not,no reason for denial needed...However,many California County Sheriffs issue permits,although it is said the further north you live the better chance of getting your permit...Most other states,including Oregon and Washington,are "Shall Issue" states,meaning they cannot deny you unless they have a legally valid reason...As a side thought in case the permit thing is an important issue to you,get a Utah Non-resident permit,it's honored in 35 or 36 other states...A few other states' Non-resident permits are similar in their scope of recognition...

Now,back to your scheduled programming...
kirkcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #19
CoolBDPhenom03
NorCal '09 Monster 1100

Well, I do know that California doesn't honor CHL's from other states. Maybe I misspoke, but at least in the Bay Area, CHL's are limited to law enforcement and military only. I'm sure in the boonies of California you can get around it, but not here.

<sigh>

That's one thing I miss about living in the South. Almost anyone could get a Class 3.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:28 AM   #20
califkid
Motorcyclist

califkid is on a distinguished road
Default Where to retire, and ride?

I agree with the person suggesting southern California. I retired last year and I ride all year long. I particularly like January rides when we get 70's weather once in awhile. Hot in the summer you can ride the coast and stay cool. Cooler in the winter you can ride inland. Mountains, deserts, pacific coast, twisties... we need more people out here. Just stay away from L.A. I suggest Orange County south to San Diego.
califkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:30 AM   #21
califkid
Motorcyclist

califkid is on a distinguished road
Default Reference Guns

Relatively difficult to get a concealed weapons permit without a very good reason. Arizona is no problem and riding there is also very nice except in the heat of the summer.
califkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #22
Blaine
Rough Writer

Blaine will become famous soon enough

I need to throw in a vote for Northern California. Weather is mild, can ride year around and the variety is awesome. You have the mountains with all the twisties anyone could ever want, you have the coast for a multitude of ocean views and rides, you have San Francisco with any and all the entertainment you may want, and some you may not want. You have the Redwoods in the North, Shasta area and Lassen loop that is breathtaking, Oregon is a easy ride and has a ton of beautiful roads to ride. In the Winter you can go south and hit death valley, check out rider magazine this month regarding death valley. Of course you have Reno, and Las Vegas, Grand Canyon is a awesome ride, not to mention Yosemite, Kings Canyon and on and on.
If you like the snow in the winter we have some great snow skiing (don’t recommend taking the bike) If you like water skiing we a have some great lakes and the delta.
Central California is now much cheaper to live because property value is now rock bottom. Property taxes are reasonable compared to some other states like Oregon.

Only draw backs are population in certain areas, and some neighbor hoods that you want to stay out of. I know there are plenty of beautiful places in our country and I wouldn’t put any of them down, I can only speak of where I have lived all my life and don’t ever want to leave, to me it is a rider’s paradise.
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #23
fat old gun nut

fat old gun nut is on a distinguished road
Default where to retire

1. e.Tenn(no income tax; low property taxes).

2. north Fla. (also no income tax)

N.C. has income tax,even tax dogs as real property, Property tax.

If you want mts keep in in E Tenn if you want 300+ days riding then N. Fl.
fat old gun nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #24
gammaqueen

gammaqueen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat old gun nut View Post
1. e.Tenn(no income tax; low property taxes).

2. north Fla. (also no income tax)

N.C. has income tax,even tax dogs as real property, Property tax.

If you want mts keep in in E Tenn if you want 300+ days riding then N. Fl.
Sounds like a plan to me. I think you decided for me, Tennessee!

Ness Vision AKA Maj Tom & 1200XLL
gammaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #25
4Raven
Super Moderator

4Raven has a spectacular aura about

I am thinking Tennessee too....close to so many twisties and sounds cheap....weather is better than Ohio's too, so more riding days...
4Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #26
Stainlesstehle
A legend in his own mind

Stainlesstehle will become famous soon enough

Don't mean to hijack the thread but...
How are the job offerings in Tennessee? I'm not ready to retire, or I should say the Government isn't ready for me to retire.
I love Michigan, but there isn't any work here.
Stainlesstehle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #27
Blaine
Rough Writer

Jobs is a problem that many are having. I guess it depends on what you do for a living. Were short on Truck technicians here in California.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #28
CookinBeans

CookinBeans will become famous soon enough

Doctors, RNs, amd lawyers seem to be able tp write their own tickets.
Otherwise, if you make more than $8 an hour, you're considered a rich man. Fast food and other stores like Wal-Mart are real picky about who they hire these days. 50,000,000,000 people for every job opening around these parts.
That's why so many people retire here- no work anyway.
CookinBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #29
ScrumDown
Malevolent Savant

ScrumDown will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookinBeans View Post
If you make more than $8 an hour, you're considered a rich man.
My wife is a teacher and she makes a little over 2.5 times that and hour. So you're saying that she would be considered super rich? (Maybe this is why she spends all our money. )
ScrumDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #30
yellow_wolf
Verified

yellow_wolf is on a distinguished road

im not retired yet but im lucky enough to live in maggie valley n.c.,,,,,,90 miles from deals gap,,,10 miles from the blue ridge parkway

we do get some winter here but worth it,,imho
yellow_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #31
4Raven
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainlesstehle View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread but...
How are the job offerings in Tennessee? I'm not ready to retire, or I should say the Government isn't ready for me to retire.
I love Michigan, but there isn't any work here.
Key words here were "retired"
I want to write and illustrate during retirement and a few other endeavors that would require me to travel some...

but I could work at a KFC...I don't get agitated over bacon...
Old 01-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #32
4Raven
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_wolf View Post
im not retired yet but im lucky enough to live in maggie valley n.c.,,,,,,90 miles from deals gap,,,10 miles from the blue ridge parkway

we do get some winter here but worth it,,imho
Wow....yellow_wolf...impressed with your rides!!! I have viewed them many times
Old 01-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #33
Blaine
Rough Writer

Quote:
if you make more than $8 an hour, you're considered a rich man.
That’s pretty hard to live on. Our apprentices start at almost 20 dollars an hour and journeymen are over 30. It amazes me the differences in wages in various parts of the country. Of course we can tank the machinist union for our wages and benifits.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #34
T Waffle
Catch me ridding clean.

T Waffle is on a distinguished road

I am 31 but still giving my input.

I say NC, SC or my fav. TN (Tennessee ) is the best place, not too cold, not too hot. perfect temp. you can enjoy quite and relaxing time and not too far from city area.
T Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #35
g33x0r
Master At Arms

g33x0r is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03 View Post
Oops, just read this bit...

For weather, you definitely cannot beat California. San Diego is probably the most temperate city in the continental US (otherwise that would be Hawaii). NorCal has sun about 9 months of the year with great weather all the time.

Taxes are high though, I'm not going to lie. Oregon might be a good alternative in that case.

You can get an open carry permit, but California is also pretty hard on gun control laws...but we have LA and Oakland so you see the need. There are absolutely no concealed licenses allowed in the state unless you are military or law enforcement.
Oregon has no sales tax but our income tax is higher than California's. Overall I guess you get taxed more in Cali because of the sales tax though. Oregon does allow concealed weapons permits though, just have to go through your local Sheriff.
g33x0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #36
CoolBDPhenom03
NorCal '09 Monster 1100

One thing you should consider are also states/cities that are rider-friendly. I mean any state may have twisties, but if they don't have a populous that's motorcycle aware, that's a dangerous decision to make.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #37
ScrumDown
Malevolent Savant

ScrumDown will become famous soon enough

Retire? HAHAHAHA! That is just a 6 letter word to me.
ScrumDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #38
blakester122

blakester122 is on a distinguished road

According to Seinfeld. When you reach retirement age you have to move to FL by law. You know the drive slow sit low state. LMAO. Just kidding. Sorry I just had to add that.
blakester122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #39
Stainlesstehle
A legend in his own mind

Stainlesstehle will become famous soon enough

The Golfcart Police come to get you.
Stainlesstehle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #40
4Raven
Super Moderator

Are there places with twisties for old people???