OIL LEAK ??? simple fix? - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Repair, Building, and Restoration > Motorcycle Repair

Motorcycle Repair Having trouble fixing your motorcycle? Just lay it out for our shadetree mechanics.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
Var
Master At Arms

Var is on a distinguished road
Default OIL LEAK ??? simple fix?

ok so , i noticed after getting back from galveston that my drain bolt managed to come undone. and oil came out.. all of it.. got a new bolt, and changed the oil everything is ok now, but.. i have oil leaking from a small bolt underneath the gas tank ( air box area ) could this mean i added to much oil to the bike? and now it's built up in there and leaking..? if so could it cause harm if i ride it a bit more until i can get in there and fix it? and if so, should i drain oil from the bike itself? THEN drain the oil from the airbox? thanks
Var is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 11-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
MeadowHobbit

MeadowHobbit is on a distinguished road

It probably means you fried your engine.
MeadowHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
cbdallas
Rough Writer

cbdallas will become famous soon enough

Without being able to see the bike in person, I'd guess that running the engine dry fried the rings and you are getting a lot of blow-by into the crankcase, which in turn blows oil into your airbox. Any idea how long you rode with no oil pressure?
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Var
Master At Arms

Default no..

engine did not run while there was no oil in it.. not even for a min.... i just got off the phone with kawasaki, they said, if the bike has to much oil, it will drain into the bottom of the airbox ( i think that's what it is, i cant really tell ) and it could come out from the bottom screws holding it in place. this is a common issue with " that motor " and i should just remove some of the oil from the engine, and clean the box out, and that should solve all my woo's. the bike was NOT ran with no oil in it.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
rexmitchell
Administrator

rexmitchell has a spectacular aura about

This doesn't add up. An oil drain bolt wont just come out on its own. If it came out while you were riding the engine would have seized pretty quickly, and you might have dumped it putting a ton of oil onto your back wheel when it was coming out. So the real question is why did your drain bolt get unscrewed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett
rexmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Cie
I know you are ... but what am I?

Cie is on a distinguished road

Could it have just worked loose during the last portion of the ride home and fell out as he was parking it? I've never heard of one loosening and falling out while parked - but have heard of loose things working more loose riding.

That is the one thing I am very afraid of when I change the oil - getting that plug tightened enough w/o over-tightening (like that could happen w/ me), so I always get my dh to check.

Any chance of a prankster doing that to ya?
Old 11-09-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Blaine
Rough Writer

Blaine will become famous soon enough

Rex is correct I have never seen or heard of a drain bold coming out when the vehicle isn’t running, just don’t happen. Now what I have heard of is quick lube places forgetting to tighten the drain bold and it coming out.

The drain plug is designed not to come out. Anyone who has ever changed their own oil has probably noticed that it took more torque to loosen the drain plug than it did to tighten when it was put in. The reason for that is because the seal on the plug is designed that way.

Don’t ever use a standard bolt in place of a drain plug, that is a receipt for a disaster.
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Var
Master At Arms

hmm i should have been much more elaborate, turns out the plug was " taken out" i didn't notice it till morning, it was someone that would assume it was funny i suppose. but like i said that was all taken care of and fixed, BUT my main question was CAN / WILL oil leak into the bottom of the airbox if TO much oil is in the motor, i went ahead and drained a nice portion of oil out of the motor last night, i got it to the H mark while on center stand it WAS WAYYYYY over the sight glass on center stand , and now it's at the H on center, and in between the L AND H on ground ( not on side stand ) i didn't however clean the airbox.. it's getting dark here at like 5:30 so time is hard to get anything done. but ill see if the oil from the airbox finishes leaking, then ill be able to tell if letting some oil out was a good idea, because it's not burning it out.. so that's good.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

It's common for oil to make it's way into the air box on many bikes if overfilled.

A rider should know how much oil their bike takes and only use the proper type and amount. Oil plays a very important role in engine dependability and longevity. Skimping on or guessing about important maintenance issues will only cause grief sooner or later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dodsfall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
Var
Master At Arms

yeah, i drailed some and it's not leaked sense... i guess we just measured it wrong but it was very little over filled, and ran great, runs great like it is as well. guess next time ill need to be more percise.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
ScrumDown
Malevolent Savant

ScrumDown will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Var View Post
i guess we just measured it wrong
OOPS!
---- ----

Funny this thead appeared on my radar. My brother-in-law (b-i-l), this past friday night; the low oil light came on in his car. So he just put in 2 qts of oil. And started driving. About mile 1, the engine sounded rough. At mile 4, he pulled over because is knocking/rocking the car and sounded real bad. So he had it towed it to his house.
The b-i-l calls yesterday, asking for help. So I drained what seemed like more than 2 qts out, (haven't measured it yet). Check the dipstick and read the level as just a smidge under full.
Started her up. Blowing blue-ish smoke like no ones business. Turned off engine, let sit for a while. Check level again. Still at same spot, (good). Started engine again, and took it for a ride. Blew most of the oil out of exhaust. Let it idle for a about 10 minutes at his place. Car back to runnning like normal.
You what I got for being helpful? A hardy "Thank you very much!"

You gotta love b-i-ls!
ScrumDown is offline   Reply With Quote