Problems with new Ninja 250 - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Manufacturers > Kawasaki

Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
Iann
Verified

Iann is on a distinguished road
Default Problems with new Ninja 250

I bought my first bike last week, a leftover 2009 special edition ninja 250. I think there may be something wrong with it or perhaps it's my general lack of motorcycle experience, but either way I'm hoping you guys might know whats wrong.

The problem I'm having is idling and starting the bike. If the bike hasn't been run in a few hours it takes a couple tries to actually get it started. Sometimes it runs for a second and dies instantly. Other times it will run but if I turn on the choke or give it some throttle it dies out instantly. I've tried starting with the choke on and off it, it doesn't seem to make a difference. The temp here has been 80 plus everyday so I don't think it's too cold for the bike. I also noticed when I first start start driving when I give it some throttle it's hesitant to raise the rpms. It starts to increase then it sounds like it wants to die, sometimes it does die and others it just picks up the rpms. Any ideas?

My initial thoughts are possibly stale fuel or maybe it has stabilizer in it. I'm not sure if it had gas in it while it was in the dealers showroom but it was a leftover so it could have been there for sometime. Or is it normal for a bike to act like this while breaking in, which would seem weird to me.

Thanks for your any help.
Iann is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 08-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
cbdallas
Rough Writer

cbdallas will become famous soon enough

Are you letting it warm up at all before riding? Mine's very cold natured, and doesn't like to GO until it's started to get hot. Giving it too much throttle at low RPM before the engine is warm will yield hesitation, and even stalling depending on the circumstances. Mine's always done it. I let it warm up in the mornings for a couple of minutes, and keep it above 3-4000 RPMs during acceleration. Mine starts better without the choke when it's hot outside, or parked in a hot garage, but it does idle low, requiring some throttle input for a few seconds after starting. It only likes the choke when it's cold outside.

If none of this works, or it continues to run badly after it's warmed up, it's likely that stale gas has clogged the jets in the carb from sitting in the dealership. They're really not supposed to put gas in them for this reason. You might want to unhook the gas line, turn the petcock to "prime" and drain the gas out of the tank, and re-fill with fresh. Also dump 1/2 to 3/4 can of Seafoam in a full tank and run it until it's empty. This will aid in clearing out the carbs.

Good luck and keep us posted.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Iann
Verified

I generally let it run at idle speed with no choke for 3 minutes before actually driving. Any ideas on why it would take 3-5 tries to get the engine running? It's so embarrassing when everyone is checking out your new bike and it won't start lol.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Tdubb

Tdubb is on a distinguished road

+1 to all that. My wifes got an 07 and it needs to warm up for a few before taking off too. It does help to choke it , even when it's hot outside, but once the motors warm it wont start with the choke on, and also when useing the choke there is no need to turn the throttle. That will usually kill it.
Tdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Tdubb

Use the choke to start it when the motors cold, and just leave the throttle alone untill its warm
Old 08-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Easy Rider 2
Banned

Easy Rider 2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iann View Post
I generally let it run at idle speed with no choke for 3 minutes before actually driving.
That's pretty much normal for a carb'ed bike.....and was for carb'ed cars with a manual choke too.

First, the choke is not an all or nothing device. When the bike is "cold" (like after sitting overnight) put the choke half on before you crank it and do NOT touch the throttle. (More choke the colder it is outside) It should fire right up; then adjust the choke toward OFF a little at a time to maintain an idle speed just slightly faster than normal.

It is even OK to ride off with the choke still on a little if you need to.......but you are going to need a couple of minutes of "warm up" even with using the choke.

I find with my bike that I need just a TINY bit of choke to maintain idle speed for a minute or two even when started warm.

NOW, having said all that, given your situation you certainly need to run some cleaner through with a tank of fresh gas. If the dealer didn't do that before giving it to you (likely they did NOT), then take it back and let them do it. It is a new bike and THEY should make it run right.

If proper use of the choke seems to solve most of the problem, then get some Berryman's or Seafoam and run the cleaner yourself. It is a good idea to do that again every 6-10 tankfuls or so just to keep things clean.
Easy Rider 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
Iann
Verified

I took the bike back out and let it warm up for about 7 minutes before i took off. It didn't have the problem with the throttle I had mentioned, but it also still may have been warm from my earlier ride. I'll have to check again later tonight or tomorrow morning. But for now it seems like letting it warm up a bit longer fixes that problem.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Easy Rider 2
Banned

Quote:
I took the bike back out and let it warm up for about 7 minutes before i took off.

But for now it seems like letting it warm up a bit longer fixes that problem.
Proper use of the choke is the RIGHT way to fix the problem.

Prolonged idling is not a good habit to get into.

7 minutes is WAY too long.

You do need to look into using some carb cleaner; the situation will not fix itself and is likely to get worse.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
Iann
Verified

How does the carb cleaner work? Do you poor the specific amount in and drive with it or have to drain it out?
Old 08-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
justin68106
Rough Writer

justin68106 is on a distinguished road

You pour it into an empty or nearly empty gas tank and then fill up with fresh gas, that way the cleaner gets mixed well with the gas, then drive. You may not get as good of gas mileage with the cleaner in there, but it will clean your carbs as you drive.
justin68106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
Iann
Verified

Alright thanks for the help everyone, if my gas ever gets low, at about 100 miles and still well over half a tank, ill be sure to pick up some cleaner and put it in when I fill up. Ill keep you posted on how it works.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
cbdallas
Rough Writer

cbdallas will become famous soon enough

You really should drain it and re-fill with fresh gas instead of continuing to run that possibly old gas through your carbs.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
bdavison

bdavison is on a distinguished road

Here is how a ninja 250R SE should be started when cold.

1. Put choke on to between 1/2-3/4 position.
2. Hit starter button
3. Bike will start, and RPM's will rise.
4. Adjust choke till it sits at 2000RPM.
5. Wait about 30 seconds.
6. Give it a bit of throttle, and take off down the road.
7. Once you get out of your neighborhood, flip the choke all the way off. DONT FORGET!!!!

Letting it sit there at idle is a complete waste of fuel and time.

If this doesnt work....your bike aint working correctly. Go have it fixed.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #14
Easy Rider 2
Banned

Quote:
, if my gas ever gets low, at about 100 miles and still well over half a tank,
The important thing is to GET IT IN THERE; no good reason to wait until it gets "low", just do it.

A little extra concentration won't hurt......so if you have a 3 gallon tank, put in 3 ounces of cleaner and then fill up when you normally would. In a bike, there will be more than enough sloshing to get it mixed up good.

Draining the tank would be better but I get a distinct feeling that you would not be comfortable with doing that so just pick up some cleaner and do it.
I like Berryman's B12 Chemtool; available at WalMart and all auto stores.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #15
Iann
Verified

Thanks for the startup lesson bdavidson. My bike has been starting perfectly everytime. I believe I was using too much choke and it was causing the problems.
Also I may be crazy but when I put in fresh gas the bike ran a lot better and actually sounded better. It might be my imagination but all seems good now, thanks everyone.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #16
notsofamiliar
Registered

notsofamiliar is on a distinguished road

I kinda have the same problem as this too. Just bought a brand new Ninja 250R .. And it won't start AT ALL.. it will run for a second then die. rpm wont even go up. When the dealer showed me when he started the bike.. he had to adjust Idle Adjusting Screw a few times to get it to start. He said i won't have to worry about adjusting it next time but when i got home.. the next day when its about 10 degrees outside where my bike was sitting i used the choke and it wont start at all.. should i play around with the amount of choke that i apply too? its jus frustrating.. i tried to playa round with the Idle Adjusting Screw as well but it won't start still..
notsofamiliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #17
Iann
Verified

Well I'm probably not the best person to answer this, maybe some of the other guys here can help out but my bike starts up fine now.

I use no choke or put it on 1/2 way at most to start it up. I let it run for about 30 seconds before I touch the throttle. For my bike I have to roll on the throttle slowly, too much instantly kills the bike while its cold. Also if your trying to start it with the kickstand down make sure your in neutral or it won't start.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:27 PM   #18
Easy Rider 2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsofamiliar View Post
the next day when its about 10 degrees outside where my bike was sitting i used the choke and it wont start at all..
Is that 10 degrees F or C ?? Where do you live??

Either way, I'm not surprised that it was hard to start at that temperature.

Yes, you probably should experiment to see how much choke works best for you; more when it is cold out, less when hot.....AND do not touch the throttle while trying to start it or immediately after it starts. By now, you probably need a battery charger too. They won't start good if the battery is low.

NO, you should not be messing with the idle speed adjustment. That is set when the bike is HOT and then left there. When cold, you maintain the idle speed by leaving the choke on a bit until it warms up.

You might benefit from some carb cleaner. If it continues to be a problem, you should go back to the dealer. NO new bike should take more than 2 shots to keep it running; no more than 1 when you find the right combination.

Last edited by Easy Rider 2; 08-09-2010 at 04:31 PM..
Old 08-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #19
Badlands-4-2
Super Moderator

Badlands-4-2 has a spectacular aura about

My 2009 Ninja 250r is cold blooded until the outside temp hits the mid 80's. It just needs to warm up for a little bit before you head out, or just apply a little choke until you get passed that first stop sign, there is one about a block from my house, and it takes about that long to warm up most mornings.
Badlands-4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #20
kawboyCAFE
Banned

kawboyCAFE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider 2 View Post
7 minutes is WAY too long.
who in the world told you that? 7 minutes is not too long to let a ninja 250 warm up. these are liquid cooled bikes, they are not going to get hot setting and idling unless its 110 degrees and you let it idle for an hour. i let my bikes warm up on idle for about 5-10 minutes everyday at first start, been doing that for about 15 years. whoever told that 7 minutes was too long to let a bike idle has never owned or maintained a bike in their life.
kawboyCAFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #21
katydid
Master At Arms

katydid is on a distinguished road

Also make sure that the fuel control is turned to the "on" position before you take off anywhere. Having your bike die in the middle of a busy street is a pain, especially when you can't figure out why.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #22
Easy Rider 2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawboyCAFE View Post
who in the world told you that? 7 minutes is not too long to let a ninja 250 warm up.
Guess I missed this reply.

Get off your high horse; I've owned, operated and torn apart engines since about 1960. I know how a choke works and I've owned a LOT of bikes with them.

SEVEN minutes of just sitting there idle-ing is totally unnecessary....IF you leave the choke partially ON when you ride off.......after two or three minutes. If your bike won't run that way, it needs to be fixed.

Not only is it unnecessary, it can actually be harmful to idle an engine too long, because of low oil pressure, water condensation, poor coolant circulation, etc. Seven minutes isn't likely to do any serious damage but why waste the time and gas if you don't have to. You should NOT have to.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #23
clint
Registered

clint is on a distinguished road

I have one too 2011 250r. So far so good no problems yet encountered.
clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #24
clint
Registered

clint is on a distinguished road

2 years ago.
clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #25
coachninja
Registered

coachninja is on a distinguished road

My 04 has a problem starting if its been sitting to long. I run the choke on mine as im getting it out of the garage and it runs perfectly once I start going.
coachninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #26
Tdubb

Man, you really went digging for this thread.

Is your battery good. Like CB said, those bikes are not cold natured bikes. You've got to let them warm up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.